Gearing for Mow Cop?

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Took the opportunity to check out Mow Cop on Saturday when in the area prior to riding the Cheshire Cat in March. After walking and driving up it to get a feel for it I am now slightly concerned that my bike gearing is up to the job. I am new to road cycling and as such don't run a state of the art bike (Triban 3). Does anybody have combined knowledge of the aforementioned hill/bike and how do you think the gearing on the Triban will fare? I am currently training using the suitable hills close to where I live in the Peak District and have not yet been defeated by any encountered! Apologies if this seems a rather daft question...
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    What gears do you have at the moment?

When I go up there, I'm putting a big cassette on the back so I'll have a bail out of 34 on the front and 29 on the back.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Anything from 34/25 combo to 34/32 should suffice depending on rider strength (and no doubt there will be others who can get up Mow Cop on a traditional chainset).
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    same bike here, I was wondering the same thing!
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    24 inch gear will get you up (2 feet :lol: )
  • I am also doing the Cat and while I know that my triple gearing is adequate I am rather more concerned about the engine which really isn't up to it.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You'll be reet. 39-25 is ok for most, just take it easier than you think at the beginning.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    i looked up the triban 3, says it's got a triple, with that you should be able to go up anything

the hill profile is here...

http://veloviewer.com/segment/635194/athlete/271030

...assuming it's correct, plan for the steep bit at about 1100m, go at your own pace, don't worry about getting passed

get in a low gear early enough maintain a comfortable cadence, keep some oomph in reserve by pacing yourself on the first part, then you'll be able to increase effort on the the steeper section, after that the top will seem easy :D
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Is this the cheshire cat - I did it on a 34-28. Take it easy on the way up, theres an 18% bend which is fun - if you attack it from the pub you're over the steep bit pretty quickly, the legs will burn no matter what you choose so try and get used to standing and sitting to get you up there. If you see a large gtoup ahead of you try and hold back, there are normally a few fallers and its nice to hve the option to zig zag.

IMO the wincle was tougher - it felt longer and much more of slog, not many places to rest your legs.

The feed stations are well placed too so you can get round with just one bottle of water which will help keep the weight down.

good luck. :P
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    sungod wrote:
    i looked up the triban 3, says it's got a triple, with that you should be able to go up anything

the hill profile is here...

http://veloviewer.com/segment/635194/athlete/271030

That's a handy way of viewing climbs. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Can't wait for the challenge! I have noticed in the brief time that I have been riding that I am now staring to view hill climbs with a perverse sense of anticipation, and not the initial fear/dread that I first had....All this in two months of focused training! Loving it :D
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Whereabouts on the course is it this year ?
    I've done it on a 39 x 26 fine one time and then struggled when it was toward the end another time.
    Fresh legs are different to ones that have done a fair few miles.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    It's about 15 miles in this time - you basically head there straight out of Crewe.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Hmmm ... Lots of countours there I see
  • Dificult to answer without knowing more about your abilities. Put it this way Mow cop is the only hill I have had to get off and walk up, i tried it on a 34 * 25 and made it to the pub before dismounting and almost hurling. I'd invest in a 28 tooth rear and dont be afraid of hopping off if it gets too much, no shame in walking
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    The last steep bit is the real swine, trouble is walking up on cleats isn't easy either. At least it's short.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Saw this pic which sums it up nicely!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=579959398699155&set=a.574844375877324.141297.521296401232122&type=1&theater

I did it on a 34/27 and found it ok, Just keep heart rate under control at the bottom and when you get to the pub its actually not that bad!!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    gezebo wrote:
    Saw this pic which sums it up nicely!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=579959398699155&set=a.574844375877324.141297.521296401232122&type=1&theater

I did it on a 34/27 and found it ok, Just keep heart rate under control at the bottom and when you get to the pub its actually not that bad!!

OP - pay no heed to this at all! I don't care who you are or what you ride but if you think that by the Cheshire View everything is sweetness and light , then you really are off your head.
    yes, I do live close to it as well and avoid it like the plague except for twice a year to prove I am still living and breathing, the effin bike breaker it is... or is it the knees I can hear as everyone grinds their way up and not the bottom brackets?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Depends how fit you are. 34 x 35 or 28 was common when I did the Cat. I had a 39 x 24 and the hard bit was just the bit past the pub, but you are cheered on.

Don't go stopping though, ride from the bottom, right through to the descent as the hill carries on after the pub, turns left then right again and doesn't finish until the masts at the top. Loads were stopping before and just after the 100m of steep stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    15 miles in sounds good - you'll have a nice warm up. It is bastid steep though. Only way to find out is to ride it !
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Love to ... But just too far away
  • jgsi
    I could offer a Mow Cop 'training session' on Friday or Saturday.. :wink:
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    It's easy! I rode it last year on 53x13 one handed eating a rather nice sticky bun

...back in the real world

It a tough climb. There are 2 main bit where people struggle, first is the steep left hand corner half way, it gets to roughly 15% here. The other is near the top past the pub where it's famously 25% for 100m ish

It's difficult to say if you'll be ok or what gear you'll need. If your riding a triple you stand a better chance. There will be people walking right from the bottom. Take it slow, save your energy for the steep sections and recover as best you can after them, it's no race to get to the top! I crawled between the corner and the pub last year to make sure I recovered enough to give it a good go. Try not to get psyched out by looking up to the pub section, it really does look like a wall if you're suffering. There will be lots of spectators cheering you on which will help!

Most of all, enjoy the challenge
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • I'm doing this climb sat morning, the aim is to get to the top with no foot down, the reality may / may not deliver. The bloke I'm riding with has a bail out gear, no doubt I'll be very jealous of it by the time we hit the pub!
  • jgsi
    Quick update: went up this morning (using 38/23) and took it easy from the railway crossing. Road grip ok with plenty of salt on the road. Grinded it past the pub for the 100 metres or so of steep where if damp things can get a little skittish. As mentioned I am no fan plus 20% climbs so I will swerve this one again for another year.
  • Sucess! 10.25 to the T junction.
    Used compact / 28 - thought it'd be much harder.