Roubaix Sport

danholmes
danholmes Posts: 4
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys

Looking to get a road bike to do my commute on, which at the moment is very small. Perhaps 30 - 40 miles a week
I might though however commute to up to maybe 120 miles per week..... (currently on a MB)

I also want to get out at the weekend and go for a burn as my main goal out of commuting on a bike is to loose some weight and get a bit fitter,,, obviously the petrol savings are also a bonus.

I am at a bit of a crossroads at the moment to get something entry like the secteur or or allez with a alloy frame with better components or get a carbon like the roubaix or tarmac.

I don;t want to regret not spending that little bit more on a carbon frame after a few months....

i am also worried about riding a higher end bike during winter?

The reason i am saying spesh is my LBS are spesh experts and i can use them for mainenence etc

thanks

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Personally I'd go for the Roubaix, commuting and winter riding won't kill the frame (I have a 2008 Roubaix as a winter bike) but whichever bike you get you'll wear out the drive train a bit more rapidly than people that just do summer weekend rides. The Roubaix frame will give a better ride and although you might have to compromise the rest of the spec (wheels and drive train mostly) those are bits you'll replace in time anyway so you can choose to upgrade the bits as part of your replacements if you fancy it. If you buy a Secteur say then it's a lot more expensive/wasteful to upgrade the frame to a Roubaix later.