New bike spec nip and tuck

rjjgilham
rjjgilham Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
I've been commuting for work for a couple of years, and have very much fallen out with my bike (Apollo Highway which was very badly put together...). Anyways, it's an excuse to buy a new bike and I'm getting a bit boggled by the specs on the models I have my eye on.

I'm commuting in Devon, which means my commute isn't flat and there's plenty of bimbling leisure stuff I might consider. As such, I've got my eye on a hybrid, and after dong the LBS's I've got a shortlist:

Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc
Trek FX 7.2 Disc (less so as the LBS for this brand has a serious attitude problem and is only on mech discs)
Merida TFS100
Kona Dew Plus

All (I think) have front lock-outs, hydralic brakes and similarish other components- on paper, they're pretty nip-and-tuck. Price-wise, they're fairly close too. I've yet to do any test rides although I suspect they'll all feel good.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom about one over another?

Cheers,

Rich

(1st post)

Comments

• Any reason why you want shocks on the bike at all? If it's hilly they just add weight and they certainly add cost. Unless you're doing a reasonable amount of off-road stuff, I think they're probably a waste
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Any reason why you want shocks on the bike at all? If it's hilly they just add weight and they certainly add cost. Unless you're doing a reasonable amount of off-road stuff, I think they're probably a waste

Quite. A suspension fork that is good enough to be worth having is probably going to cost at least £250 alone and they weigh alot. Suspension isn't needed for canal tow paths and unmade roads or even light offroad work.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks for the replies people- the front suspension has been a bit of a dilemma option.

Any thoughts on the various Shimano this vs Shimano that?

Rich
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Can't offer any advice on different versions of group sets etc, but Wiki gives you a comprehesive list of different manufacturers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupset