Chainset compatibility

chorlton chimp
chorlton chimp Posts: 112
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
I have ended up with a spare Tiagra 10sp chainset. Can I swap out my rather shabby looking Sora chainset for this new shiny Tiagra?

Comments

• I have ended up with a spare Tiagra 10sp chainset. Can I swap out my rather shabby looking Sora chainset for this new shiny Tiagra?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    should be ok, i've done similar on a couple of bikes

you may get a bit of chain rub when in the small ring, using a 10-speed chain will fix that - but if the old chain is worn, the new one may skip on the old cassette, then you'd also have to change cassette
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yes. Chainsets are pretty interchangable.

Yours would be literally a straight swap as it uses the same BB.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Cheers. That's what I thought but needed reassurance.

Mods I appear to have made a duplicate posting. Sorry, please delete the other thread.
  • Thanks. Chain and cassette have c. 4000 miles in them, so probably time for a change anyway.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    By chainset do you mean crank & cassette?

What shifters do you have? 9 speed Soras wont work properly with 10 speed cassette. Front cogs should be fine.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Sora's nine speed. Your Tiagra is ten speed. The cassette will have an extra cog and will therefore be thinner, creating problems at the back end when you shift gears. If you are only swapping out the crank, then you should have no difficulties.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    ^^ wot I meant but better explained.
  • By chainset I mean cranks and chainrings. Cassette will clearly stay a 9 speed job, I was really asking if the fatter 9sp chain would work with the chainrings.
  • smidsy
    Chainset can be any speed.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    By chainset do you mean crank & cassette?

Chainset means front chainrings complete with crank arms and spindle.

Casette is Cassette.

Stop confusing things :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.