Superstar Superlegera rear wheel bearings

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Have a pair of SS wheels with Superlegera hubs and the rear wheel bearings are a bit grumbly.

I've removed the two end caps from the large diameter axle, but it's unlcear where to go from there, the SS document I've found online (for Switch hubs) says the freehub should pull off (it doesn't).....

Anyone?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If I remember right I think the superlegra hubs are made by Novatech maybe have a look for some of there tech docs

http://novatecusa.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Instruction-MTB-3in1-4in1-Hubs_Catalog2012.pdf
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    Thanks will have a look....

These have 'Trizoid' marked on the freehub if that helps!

EDIT: Clearly not Novatech, no cone spanner flats and the axle has a cap screwed on each end.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    I have a Trizoid rear hub and it needs 2 x 17mm cone spanners 1 on the axle flats and 1 on the driveside cap to take cap off then the freehub is just wiggled off. Must be different on the Superleggra.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    Just had a thought. The early superlegra hubs needed a special tool to service them. If your hub is a few years old it might be one of those, I remember a thread where the Superstar guy said they do it free of charge. I think Catwithnotail had to send his hub back but it was a couple of years back and I cant find the thread so I might have name wrong.
  • The Rookie
    They have no cone spanner flats as pointed out, I have removed the 2 end caps no problem, even if mine need the special tool (I have no idea of the age) all the suggestions are the freehub should just pull off, and it's not having it!

20130223_181857_zps6f303db5.jpg
    20130223_181942_zps01393714.jpg
    20130223_182013_zpsfbbbe21e.jpg
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    You've probably already seen it but there appears to be a 8/10mm allen key slot on either end of the axel. Maybe you need to unwind each side together and then pull of the freehub? Something like that maybe, I don't have any personal experience with them though!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    They have no cone spanner flats as pointed out, I have removed the 2 end caps no problem, even if mine need the special tool (I have no idea of the age) all the suggestions are the freehub should just pull off, and it's not having it!

20130223_181857_zps6f303db5.jpg
    20130223_181942_zps01393714.jpg
    20130223_182013_zpsfbbbe21e.jpg

now tap the axle out through the disc side. this will remove the bearing from that side and allow you to get to the drive side one.

in fact before doing that just try pulling on the body.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    Cant see because the Freehub pic is a bit blurry but is there a circlip under the crud
  • The Rookie
    No obvious circlip, will clean it up and check....8mm allen slot is to undo the other end cap, turrning it it just spins in the bearings.

Nick, Pulling on the body, heaving and cursing all tried....will try tapping it out the disc side (which was the planned next move!)
  • The Rookie
    OK, axle driven out disc side OK, once it had moved the freehub just slid off, markings suggest it's bearings had just galled on the axle enough to stop it pulling off.

Haven't yet got the drive side bearing to move but it doesn't look like anything should stop it, I'm using the axle again and the shoulder as a drift, but may use something a bit heaftier...
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Some of those cassette gouges look impressively deep, surprised you managed to even get that off!
  • The Rookie
    That bit was easy!