Stans no tubes

paulmcconnell
paulmcconnell Posts: 21
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently bought a new bike which comes with Mavic crossride wheels.
Unfortunately these are not tubeless.
Has anyone used the stans no tubes system to convert these wheels.
If so, did it go smoothly, did you have to drill the valve hole? (Not prepared to do this)
Did you have to use the rubber rim strips, or can you get away with the yellow tape and valves?
Thanks in advance for any replies. :D

Comments

• Hi, I was looking at going ghetto tubeless. Came accross Fenwicks Airtight. This seems to be a similar but better solution. There is a review on here somewhere.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've used the Stans conversion strips before and they worked OK ish. Took a bit of effort to inflate but was a chore when it came to replacing the tyre as the strip and tyre bonded together. I decided normal tubes where better in this instance.

Now running Stans rims and things are much easier. Personally in your case I would just stick to tubes.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    The kits work well for me and it even sealed my rear tyre after riding over loads of glass which surprised me.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    To be honest, I'd only go tubeless with tubeless ready rims. I don't think it's worth the hassle. I've gone tubeless with stans crest rims and it works brilliantly, most people who have had problems have been using the conversion kits or ghetto.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    jairaj wrote:
    I've used the Stans conversion strips before and they worked OK ish. Took a bit of effort to inflate but was a chore when it came to replacing the tyre as the strip and tyre bonded together. I decided normal tubes where better in this instance.

Now running Stans rims and things are much easier. Personally in your case I would just stick to tubes.
    I'm thinking of converting my DT EX500 rims to tubeless soon, though I recently bought new tyres (schwalbe hans dampf) and can't see myself changing them any time soon, so I reckon it's a good way to go. I'm getting pretty fed up of punctures etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I have recently bought a new bike which comes with Mavic crossride wheels.
    Unfortunately these are not tubeless.
    Has anyone used the stans no tubes system to convert these wheels.
    If so, did it go smoothly, did you have to drill the valve hole? (Not prepared to do this)
    Did you have to use the rubber rim strips, or can you get away with the yellow tape and valves?
    Thanks in advance for any replies. :D
    I've converted an XM719 rim (which is I think the rim used on crossrides) with a stans rimstrip. First attempt was with a Panaracer Fire XC pro. Went up first time with a track pump but took weeks to seal properly and was prone to burping. Second was with an Ardent which needed the compressor to get it up but once it was up it was fine. Also tried an Advantage which was fine and a Racing Ralph, where the bead failed whilst the bike was alone in my garage and covered everything is spaff !
    Conclusion: use a rimstrip and a tyre recommended by stans and it should be fine.
    http://www.notubes.com/RecommendedTires.aspx
  • ilovedirt
    Pretty sure racing ralphs (like all schwalbe tyres) are tubeless ready...?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Greer_
    As far as I know, they're only tubeless ready if they say that on them. My racing ralph/nobby nic still needed sealant to make them airtight. That's on stans crest rims and tubeless tape/valve.
  • ilovedirt
    Tubeless Ready tyres require sealant too. Tubeless Ready isn't the same as UST.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Greer_
    Ahh my mistake - just for anyone else who's interested, I just found this on the Schwalbe website:
    Schwalbe wrote:
    What does Tubeless Ready mean?
    Tubeless Ready tires are not Tubeless tires. However, they can be converted to a Tubeless tire by adding a sealing fluid. Schwalbe Tubeless Ready tires have a specially formed and coated tire bead. This seals the rim very efficiently and provides safe seating.