setting target times

shakyjake
shakyjake Posts: 17
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi folks

Probably a more difficult to answer thank am currently imagining right now but I am trying to figure out if I need to put my back into it a bit more when it comes to cycling.

At present I can be easily described as 'rotund' weighing in at 111kg but I'm wondering whether 15mph average over a 25 mile ride is any good/bad? Should I be aiming for more/less etc... I feel I could've done more if it wasn't as cold and windy as it was yesterday but that's beyond my control.

Is there a realistic avg/time goal for this sort of distance as I really like the route (Northwich to joddrel bank and back ) which is fairly flat so I can see myself doing this many times.

Thanks again.

PS I'm just trying to improve my stamina but any loss of the gut in the interim wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ride the route and set yourself a 'benchmark' then you'll have a target to aim for on future rides. I'm sure you'll beat your target in time as well as loose some weight and gain some fitness - enjoy your riding.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    It sounds pretty good to me, 15mph over 25 miles for an overweight beginner riding alone is a good average. But as you said, you are over simplifying things - how hilly is the course, wind strength and direction, how many turns, bends and juctions, levels of traffic etc all have an affect on your possible speed. Then there is your age and general level of fitness.

As Monty Dog said, set yourself a bench mark time then work at improving it.

And well done for riding in this weather, there are many who will just sit at home at this time of year.
  • Hi there and for the reassuring message re:vg speed.

I'm not sure how to upload an image of the route but I headed to J18 M6 via the A530 then turned to joddrel bank. I then headed back to Northwich via goostrey, overall flat with a few gradients. One or 2 v.short climbs. Nothing too arduous..

I like it because it is mostly a non main traffic route and the roads are wide.

In terms of times though I will keep you posted.

Thanks again.
  • As others have said is a good time & whilst using the same route can get a bit boring is very handy for a simple time/speed measurement which as you get fitter I'm sure you'll soon start to better.

Once you get bored of you route but are fairly confident with it you can start to do the "off the map" approach where you turn off without really knowing where you are going but aiming to get back onto your route. Its not to everyones taste these days with bike GPS devices, Strava etc but I find when out for a good ride it can be fun getting back to basics.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I use 3 local climbs as a barometer for my improvement. The climbs are segments on Strava so it's easy to monitor. 1 climb is a short steep 600m which takes about 1m 30s, the next is slightly longer and less vertical at 1m 13s and then a longer 2km climbs taking over 5 minutes. Not sure if others do the same, but ive found it useful.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sounds like a good road to use as a time trial. Do it every so often to measure you progress. For the record I have done nearly 4000 miles and have yet to average 15 on a ride... But I do live in hilly old Cornwall
  • Have only recently started to use Strava.. brilliant for motivation. Highly recommended.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Give a local TT a try? Do a few 10s or 25s and set yourself some realistic goals for the end of the season.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Im 60kg and my last ride was 13mph average

...but its not very flat round here

The local club ride at 17-19mph on flatish Sunday club rides
  • Thanks guys. I must confess this particuklare ride is almost flat with nothing like the 600m climbs mentioned above. That said I will check my speedo is working properly to make sure the 14.94mph avg is not wrong.

As for the route this will be my gauge and challenge for improving my times. Wrt wandering off the beaten path most of Cheshire is fairly roadie friendly, particularly around alderley edge/knutsford way so I'm really looking forward to increasing my run and spicing things up with new routes.

I think I will try and map some of the rides out on mapmyride and share them in the next few weeks.