OT: Belgian Beer

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Definitely, it's just over the big bridge from the shopping area, first street on your left near the Zondag bar (which is cr*p btw).

Fair warning, if you take a pretty girl in there he will make a few dirty jokes...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    ddraver wrote:
    Definitely, it's just over the big bridge from the shopping area, first street on your left near the Zondag bar (which is cr*p btw).

Fair warning, if you take a pretty girl in there he will make a few dirty jokes...

Ta but no worries i'm taking the wife :roll: :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    ddraver wrote:

Sounds great. If I bring some dirty joke will he provide a pretty girl?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I watched Flanders in Wall of Beer in Bruges last year, as I was set for the afternoon, I ordered a 750ml bottle of Tremens. I got asked how many glasses I wanted with that and oh the look I got when I said one!

Later some "blokes" came in. One of them may have asked for a big beer, to counter all the small glasses he'd drunk all weekend. His mates bought him a 3 litre glass of Brugse Zot. You know you've done something serious when the barstaff are asking for a photo.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Hee hee, it would be my one (very small) complaint, I can take that he works very much at his own pace rather than a quick pace and has a "if you don't like it, may I suggest that bar over the road that only serves Amstel" attitude, but there were a few times when he made our (one) girl feel a bit awkward, and to her credit she's a cool chick who can handle a bit of male banter...
    - @ddraver
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    photopress13023_600.jpg

Had seen this banner in a few pics, but only noticed just now the word within brackets right at the bottom. Mwaha.
  • skylla
    ddraver wrote:

I know plenty of pretty jokes, so.. eh..
  • The obvious beer to go with the Amstel Gold race is Amstel, but I can't bring myself to drink that pish. Think I'll open a couple of big bottles of Hommelbier.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The obvious beer to go with the Amstel Gold race is Amstel, but I can't bring myself to drink that pish. Think I'll open a couple of big bottles of Hommelbier.

Well you could always go with La Trappe, the only Dutch trappist beer. :-)
  • ddraver
    The obvious beer to go with the Amstel Gold race is Amstel, but I can't bring myself to drink that pish. Think I'll open a couple of big bottles of Hommelbier.

Yep same Dilemma!

Found another good belgian beer cafe (Cafe de Paas) in Den Haag last night! I ll be moving there soon so I might become a regular there!
    - @ddraver
  • The obvious beer to go with the Amstel Gold race is Amstel, but I can't bring myself to drink that pish. Think I'll open a couple of big bottles of Hommelbier.

Well you could always go with La Trappe, the only Dutch trappist beer. :-)
    Good point, sadly I don't have any :( Hence the back up plan
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ddraver
    I went for La Trappe - 2 Tripels, 2 Dubbels for tomorrow. Think I might stop off at the takeaway after the club run and get some bitterballen in to accompany it! Lekker!!
    - @ddraver
  • Nice! Is the expression "mekke-lekker"? Excuse poor spellings/interpretations.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ddraver
    Nice! Is the expression "mekke-lekker"? Excuse poor spellings/interpretations.

not heard that one here....but then if I go 50km in any direction, the accent/dialect will have changed so....
    - @ddraver
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    My local Morrisons used to sell La Trappe but unfortunately, no more. They must have discontinued it in favour of another pear cider.
    Augustijn Grand Cru for me tomorrow.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    bump
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    bump
    Most consequential bump on here for yonks. Disaster :lol:
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Think we moved over to the KBK

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12907095
  • Beers to match with Omloop....
    East Flanders beers I think, and my current favourite from that part of the world are beers from De Ryck. The Special is particularly fine.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Beers to match with Omloop....
    East Flanders beers I think, and my current favourite from that part of the world are beers from De Ryck. The Special is particularly fine.
    What are the characteristics of east Flandrian beers? I've never quite sorted out my Belgian geography...
    What are the characteristics of east Flandrian beers? I've never quite sorted out my Belgian geography...
    Hard to nail a characteristic as such. No Trappists here, and the excellent lambics are further south. There are some excellent ales, though. De Ryck as mentioned are good, Sint Canarus also, and Slaghmuylder are great, especially the Witkap abbey-style beers. If you like lagers more, Slaghmuylder also make some great examples.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I've got some Delirium that I might have today watching the finish of Omloop.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • skylla
    1 duvel
    0.75 cl of chimay red
    0.75 cl of barrel aged greenwich porter

if i'm still standing:

delirium

Well done on the Kwak glass Mac. In my local we had to leave our shoes behind the bar if you wanted the glass with your Kwak or delirium order!
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I shall mostly be preparing for the classics by perusing this fine list

http://chesterbeerandwine.co.uk/prodlist.php?Category=belgian
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Beers to match with Omloop....
    Hard to nail a characteristic as such. No Trappists here, and the excellent lambics are further south. There are some excellent ales, though. De Ryck as mentioned are good, Sint Canarus also, and Slaghmuylder are great, especially the Witkap abbey-style beers. If you like lagers more, Slaghmuylder also make some great examples.

Cheers.

I know the lambics are pretty localised (did my 2nd tour of the Cantillon brewery last yaer :-) )

Where are the ouid bruins and reds found?
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    edited February 2013
    Went to Malmedy on holiday a couple of summers ago and sampled plenty of the local brews. Strong, tasty and cheap.

Favourites were Maredsous Blonde and La Chouffe. A few local bars round here sell them but a bottle costs a small fortune....
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Chimay Red
    Leffe
    Umm
  • RideOnTime wrote:
    Chimay Red
    Leffe
    Umm

Floor
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I'm out in Cardiff and my friend is on his fourth bottle of Duvel (with a few pints before that). I fear for the future
    Twitter: @RichN95

Cheers.

I know the lambics are pretty localised (did my 2nd tour of the Cantillon brewery last yaer :-) )

Where are the ouid bruins and reds found?
    Cantillon brewery tour? You lucky bugger.
    Old browns/reds can be found around E Flanders. Oodenarde area is good. Look out for Liefmans and Verhaeghe beers (ok West Flanders) are good.
    Ecrasez l’infame