Can anyone help me identify this frame?

matt_87
matt_87 Posts: 22
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Picked up an unfinished bike (see the dreadful camera phone pic attached) fairly cheaply to pinch some bits for a couple of projects I have on the go. After I've taken off the remaining bits, I'll be flogging the frame, but I could do with knowing what it is first...

The previous owner only knew that it was a Diamondback and nothing more (EDIT: as explained in the post below, I'm now fairly certain said owner was incorrect). After extensive googling I've found that it seems very similar to the Bandito in the other pic below, however it looks like the dropouts are different on that bike. Can anyone shed any light?

7537.jpg

Comments

• Spotted a Pashley 26Mhz in the 'Your Bikes' subforum and am now wondering if that might be what it is. It's possible the previous bloke just looked at the Diamondback pedals and dimly assumed that's what the rest of the bike is.

Thoughts?

gallery_42_1016_2453.jpg
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Do you have a better photo?
  • I'll actually get it out of the garage tomorrow and use a proper camera to take a few more pics. To me it looks a lot like the Pashley, particularly with that rather distinctive, GTish top tube poking out the back of the seat tube look
  • Close up of dropouts would help identify if its a Pashley. Not worth much if it is unfortunately
  • I'll make sure I get a close up tomorrow. Out of interest, how much is not much? I wasn't expecting a huge amount back for the frame
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks more Pashley than Dimondback.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    looks more Pashley than Dimondback.
    Certainly looks that way, here's some pics for confirmation anyway, including the dropouts. Would anyone know roughly what year it would be? I assume it's one of the earlier ones given the lack of disc mount.

3LA3tuXg.jpg

HiRbonBn.jpg

iRVKuHNw.jpg

JuozS2aH.jpg
  • It's a Pashley 26MHZ. In that condition you should expect £30, they don't go for much more than £50 in good condition
  • Considering I only paid £21 for the frame with all the other bits (I removed most before I took the pictures), I can live with that!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Aren't those old Pashleys really good though? And British made. I'd keep it personally, looks like a quality frame to me!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they are Reynolds 853 steel
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Aren't those old Pashleys really good though? And British made. I'd keep it personally, looks like a quality frame to me!

This.
  • Mike Deere wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

This.
    Must admit I do rather like it, the fact that it's British made is nice too. Not sure what I do with it if I did build it up though, isn't it more of a trials sort of thing?