N+1 Suggestions

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
It's time to start shopping for a "best" bike which I will use for the Ride 100 and summer fun.

I'll be keeping the Genesis as the everyday commuter, wet weather and winter bike etc

I'm pretty sure of what I want just lacking the details. Frame has to be Ti, maybe disc brakes maybe, group set something electronic, I just need to work out which system I like the best, and wheels something custom built for my weight.

But I need to start somewhere and that means the frame. I'd like something in Ti, ideally British, I'd like to be fitted for it and have some options for geometry (maybe matching the Genesis), as I want to go electric, some clever options for batteries cable etc would be nice, and I'd like some custom options around finishes and decals etc too. One option is of course the Genesis Eq Ti but no disc brakes option and no nice electric stuff still it's an option......

So far short list is Enigma, Burls and Qoroz any suggestions on other frame builders?

Also I'd like to find an LBS (I'm near Kingston) that can help spec, fit and build a project like this, any sugestions welcome?
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Oooh, marvellous.
    Sigma are very proficient at taking large sums of money from people. I'd expect they would be willing to help. I think you need to visit the Bristol hand made bike show. That's coming up pretty soon I think.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    http://www.cadencecustom.com/

If you want custom...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Maybe Spin for a frame?

http://www.spincycleworks.com/servlet/StoreFront

I'd start with your shortlist though, if I was in your position. They'd be my choices.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished product. Should be a beauty.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • If I was building my dream bike I'd probably have a custom steel frame from a traditional British frame builder.

If I was going to get a Ti frame I'd get one custom designed in China for about a third of the price of those marketed in UK and US. Got mine from XIAN and it has been faultless.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Firefly?

FF036-studio-1.jpg
  • clarkey cat
    But why Titanium?

If you want something really special get lugged British steel from a customer framebuilder. Thats what I will do for my next bike.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    WraithRob will be along in a sec to say 'Quoroz' & 'Velosport'

I'd say Enigma and go down and see them - Hailsham is not exactly far away.

Discs? Why? Absolutely no need on a summer bike.

Electronic - yes! See if you can try them both. I have EPS and love it. It's not had a single fault since I got it in May, but it did take me a while to learn how to get it set up, makes changes etc.

You could have a look at http://pretoriusbikes.com/Pretorius_Bikes/Home.html who are based in N1.

As for Velosport - sounds like Rob had a great experience. I OTOH had a bike serviced there. When I got it back the new cassette had been mounted with the wrong spacers. The mechanic had forced it on by massively over tightening the lock nut. Both QR skewers were also done up stupidly tight. It took me a while to discover this, and now the bearing in my rear hub is f*cked. This is a DTSwiss 190 ceramic hub, it has not done enough miles to be making the noise it is making and I'm wondering if the over tightening has caused the damage. All in all, I was not impressed.
  • sketchley
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oooh, marvellous.
    Sigma are very proficient at taking large sums of money from people. I'd expect they would be willing to help. I think you need to visit the Bristol hand made bike show. That's coming up pretty soon I think.

Road trip!
    --
    Chris

• veronese68
    Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oooh, marvellous.

Road trip!
    Mid April, that's a long time to wait. There's a list of exhibitors on their website. I'd offer to come with you but I very much doubt my wallet could stand the stress.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    why titanium for a summer bike?

If i had Ti bike it would be a year round bike.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    spasypaddy wrote:
    why titanium for a summer bike?

If i had Ti bike it would be a year round bike.

Yeah, agree with this. I'd like Ti (when I can afford it) but would be for winter/foul weather, not summer.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have Ti as my year round bike; carbon for when it's not raining.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Titanium is beautiful HOWEVER they all look very similar, theres only so much you can do with a straight bit of round tubing.

its the paint jobs and welds that differentiate them.

Get a lynskey helix.

or one of these:
    http://www.deanbikes.com/road/animas/animas.htm
  • sketchley
    To explain.

I already have an all year round, all weather bike, with mudguards etc for commuting in the genesis.

I want a "best bike". I don't want this to have mudguards and I don't want to use it is rubbish weather. It's the best bike after all. The obvoius choice is carbon, but I'm at or over the weight limit for most frame builders warranty, plus having spoken with a view carbon suppliers there bike are "designed" for people half my weight. To not put too fine a point on it, Carbon could be strong enough for me, but Carbon frames do not have lots of unecessary layers of carbon to add strength for the larger rider when most of the people who will ride one won't need it. Steel and Ti are less affected in this regard. Please feel free to argue with this and explain why I maybe wrong.

All that asside I just love the looks of Ti bikes, the unpainted finishes just look great, like real bikes, with tubes, where as painted Carbon with odd shaped tubes and joints can look a little well plastic.....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oooh, marvellous.

Road trip!
    Mid April, that's a long time to wait. There's a list of exhibitors on their website. I'd offer to come with you but I very much doubt my wallet could stand the stress.

April work's. I'll have cash then and it leaves enough time to complete the build and get the best of summer in. Sure you don't want to come with me? I'll drive, might even have my new car by then :twisted: !
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    Have you thought about the Genesis Equilibrium?
    That looks pretty sweet.
  • veronese68
    Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oooh, marvellous.

Road trip!

April work's. I'll have cash then and it leaves enough time to complete the build and get the best of summer in. Sure you don't want to come with me? I'll drive, might even have my new car by then :twisted: !
    Well, my birthday's in April, I could go along for research and give the wife a few suggestions. Presumably there will be a bar there...
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Fair enough!

I really like Moots although they're US. My mate has one and the welds are immaculate. Really beatifully made and he swears by his. He uses it all year round. They're not cheap though but are custom made. I'm also not sure whether they build for disc brakes but you could easily find out. Another one I like the look of are the Independent Fabrication bikes. Again, I think they're US and they are also pricey. I'd covet either! These are definitely two at the higher end of the price range so for me, will have to wait!
  • Well - if you did decide on Steel:

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frames
    We build our frames in Reynolds tubing because we think it’s the best, Reynolds have an excellent heritage and product that works hand-in-hand with our philosophy to produce the finest lightweight steel bikes possible. The days of “one tube-set suits all” have well and truly gone, with the introduction of 631, 725, 853, 853 Pro Team and the newest 953 stainless steel tubing – we order your tubes to suit you and your frame, depending on size, intended use, weight carried etc.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • If you decide on custom and want it for this summer your choices may be limited due to waiting lists, you probably can't afford to wait until that bike show in April.
  • cyclingprop
    Sketchley wrote:
    To explain.

I already have an all year round, all weather bike, with mudguards etc for commuting in the genesis.

I want a "best bike". I don't want this to have mudguards and I don't want to use it is rubbish weather. It's the best bike after all. The obvoius choice is carbon, but I'm at or over the weight limit for most frame builders warranty, plus having spoken with a view carbon suppliers there bike are "designed" for people half my weight. To not put too fine a point on it, Carbon could be strong enough for me, but Carbon frames do not have lots of unecessary layers of carbon to add strength for the larger rider when most of the people who will ride one won't need it. Steel and Ti are less affected in this regard. Please feel free to argue with this and explain why I maybe wrong.

All that asside I just love the looks of Ti bikes, the unpainted finishes just look great, like real bikes, with tubes, where as painted Carbon with odd shaped tubes and joints can look a little well plastic.....

I'd suggest that it just means you need to look at US brands, rather than Euro if you were to consider carbon.
  • sketchley
    Well I've looked into it, trek and spesh have a 250lbs weight limit on carbon warranty and Volagi told me via email that thier carbon bike wouldn't be suitable. The math makes sense, to make carbon stiff and strong in right places for my weight requires extra carbon. They are not going to add extra layers of carbon and weight to do this when target audience is looking for low weight and weigh less than 150lbs. That's not to say it carbon wont work (it is in fact the ideal material) just that factory bikes are not designed for People my size. Therefore custom bike is the way forward, and as custom carbon, unless I'm mistaken, is out of my price range, custom Ti is way forward. Althought another steel bike in top spec tubing and nic lugging is tempting..... So are some of the imtelligent fabrication hybrid ti carbon bikes....
    --
    Chris

• cyclingprop
    Sketchley wrote:
    Well I've looked into it, trek and spesh have a 250lbs weight limit on carbon warranty and Volagi told me via email that thier carbon bike wouldn't be suitable. The math makes sense, to make carbon stiff and strong in right places for my weight requires extra carbon. They are not going to add extra layers of carbon and weight to do this when target audience is looking for low weight and weigh less than 150lbs. That's not to say it carbon wont work (it is in fact the ideal material) just that factory bikes are not designed for People my size. Therefore custom bike is the way forward, and as custom carbon, unless I'm mistaken, is out of my price range, custom Ti is way forward. Althought another steel bike in top spec tubing and nic lugging is tempting..... So are some of the imtelligent fabrication hybrid ti carbon bikes....

10% out. 275lbs on road bikes. http://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questions. ... tionid=104.

Anything else you were planning on guessing?

From memory I'm about your weight and mine does great...
  • sketchley
    Ok so I didn't lookup trek figure, but spesh is 250 and the email from Volagi if real. I'm currently at 254lbs so I'm close to trek limit and over the spesh.

Anyway this is from spesh warranty. Which illustrates point. It's not that a carbon frame won't work, it's that they are designed to be ridden by lighter riders, I want something designed for me, which means custom, and rules out Carbon (I think).

"Not every bicycle and component is made for every conceivable use. A road bike, for example, is not suitable for off-road riding. Also, some bicycles and components are built to be lightweight, which means they may not be appropriate for riders who are approaching 250 pounds in weight (over 240 pounds, for example). Riders approaching 250 pounds in weight should not ride any bicycle equipped with Specialized-branded composite seat posts, handlebar stems, or handlebars.
    Failure to follow this warning may result in catastrophic failure of the component or bicycle, which may lead to serious personal injury or death."
    --
    Chris

• I'd suggest getting something di2 and hydraulic ready, but stick a cheaper mechanical groupset on now, as in all likelihood the hydraulic di2 will be out at some point fairly soon.
  • cyclingprop
    Ok so in my experience trek have been great. But, there you go ...
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oooh, marvellous.

Road trip!

Do you know which day summer will be this year then? :cry: