First club ride tomorrow! Ooh what you wearing?

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 464
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

Got my first club ride tomorrow, thats not what I'm worried about, its what to wear thats the question. I have plenty of warm options for the top half, but for the bottom, my only real option is bib shorts with leg warmers as well. Is this going to be OK or am I risking derrière frostbite? :shock: Ooh and also, should one wear the warmers over or under the bib shorts? :P :oops:

I usually wait till its a bit warmer so bib shorts and a jacket is fine, its 3deg C tomorrow!
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• Warmers get tucked under the shorts, I ride with this configuration a lot and its not only comfy but looks great too.

Personally wear whatever is comfy.
  • Hi,

Got my first club ride tomorrow, thats not what I'm worried about, its what to wear thats the question. I have plenty of warm options for the top half, but for the bottom, my only real option is bib shorts with leg warmers as well. Is this going to be OK or am I risking derrière frostbite? :shock: Ooh and also, should one wear the warmers over or under the bib shorts? :P :oops:

I usually wait till its a bit warmer so bib shorts and a jacket is fine, its 3deg C tomorrow!

Well I hope your tops are either the Yellow, Green or Polka Dot design, the pink Giro will do at a pinch, or something with the Rainbow stripe?

You won't go wrong if you follow this advice.
  • Hi,

Well I hope your tops are either the Yellow, Green or Polka Dot design, the pink Giro will do at a pinch, or something with the Rainbow stripe?

Hmmmmm I think not!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Hate bib-tights. My movement feels a little restricted - although nothing major. I don't like it!

Only use leg warmers under shorts.

I'm going out tomorrow with my buddy, it's going to be around 2-3deg. I'll be wearing overshoes, leg warmers/shorts, base layer + S/S jersey topped off with a windproof jack. On the hands ill have my toasty sealskinz, buff on my head/neck + cap to keep the cold breeze off.

Have a good one and watch out for ice!
  • Hi,

Hmmmmm I think not!

Rumbled!! :D
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Wear whatever is warm and comfortable. Anyone sneer of look down their nose at you, either

A, Ignore them.
    B, Say "Fu@k off snobby Tw@t"
    C, Flying headbutt them

Any of the above you are 100% in the right.
  • Wear whatever is warm and comfortable. Anyone sneer of look down their nose at you, either

A, Ignore them.
    B, Say "Fu@k off snobby Tw@t"
    C, Flying headbutt them

Any of the above you are 100% in the right.

Best advice so far!

You must be a MTBer as well! :D:D
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I dabbled. Then I saw the light.
  • Hi,

Too late (how did it go?) but I went out on Sat wearing Campri base layer (top and bottom) and Muddy Fox long tights (£12.99 from Sports Direct!) two pairs of socks, overshoes, S/S jersey over base layer plus long sleeve top and a jacket on top of that. Feet and hands were a bit cold by the end but core/legs were toasty.
  • Hi,

Too late (how did it go?) but I went out on Sat wearing Campri base layer (top and bottom) and Muddy Fox long tights (£12.99 from Sports Direct!) two pairs of socks, overshoes, S/S jersey over base layer plus long sleeve top and a jacket on top of that. Feet and hands were a bit cold by the end but core/legs were toasty.

Yep, sweet, even in the snow :shock: . My toes got a bit cold, even with overshoes, but a sprint up a hill soon seemed to warm them up! My lips are cracked today so I think i need to look after them next time, otherwise, leg warmers, bib shorts, base layer, merino top, cycling top, jacket, snood for neck and ears and I was toasty, oh yes and gloves too!
  • sev112
    sev112 Posts: 99
    My clad high silk ski socks were a godsend this weekend
  • Hi,

Yep, sweet, even in the snow :shock: . My toes got a bit cold, even with overshoes, but a sprint up a hill soon seemed to warm them up! My lips are cracked today so I think i need to look after them next time, otherwise, leg warmers, bib shorts, base layer, merino top, cycling top, jacket, snood for neck and ears and I was toasty, oh yes and gloves too!

Respect to that man. I was thinking about going out again but went swimming with the kids instead. Longish commute home tomorrow after work though, better get togged up.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bloody freezing out today. The more kit the better !
    And still I saw people out in shorts. Brrrr.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    cougie wrote:
    Bloody freezing out today. The more kit the better !
    And still I saw people out in shorts. Brrrr.

Well you must have heard the phrase "where there is no sense there is no feeling" :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.