roadie clothing - learning the hard way!

shakyjake
shakyjake Posts: 17
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi folks

Complete roadie and winter riding newb here. Phew! Now that I've that off my chest I will just explain my subject title.

I took the plunge and bought a triban 3 roadie last month and ive so far done 3 semi decent rides. The first 2 were a doddle (7&12 miles respectively) however the 3rd ride I did yesterday (25 miles) was a really punishing experience Because it was so cold. That said I feel better for doing it mind you.

It was just so bitterly cold! Now i went out wearing basic stuff which is not bike specific so I obviously need some windproof and high vis clothing. I did manage to get cold knees, cold feet, cold hands and a cold head. The whole caboodle really. That said I am a bit on the large side and on a bit of a budget. Is there is any semi decent clothing range out there that I should be looking at that is likely to fit me and for a decent price?

Let's say £100 budget for the whole head to toe experience with an emphasis on a decent jacket.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading folks.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Decent kit will definately improve your riding experience although £100 is going to be a bit of a stretch if you need the lot, bib tights, base layer, long sleeve jersey, jacket, gloves etc, having said that it could be done if you shop around, DHB stuff at wiggle is good value and decent quality too :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For me the jacket is the least significant item. If you can cover warmth by relatively cheap baselayers, then all you'll need on top is something windproof. I keep perfectly warm in these sorts of temperatures with a cheap Aldi Merino baselayer and softshell jacket with a thin windproof on top but an extra layer and long sleeve jersey would serve instead of the jacket.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Hmm - for me a reasonable jacket is a must - keep the core warm and the rest will be warmer...

Mountain Warehouse do some basic kit - along with a suitable jacket - I've been wearing that jacket all winter - just changing my layers underneath depending on the temp. It's wind/waterproof - so you do sweat a bit, but for the hour or two rides it's fine. If you've got some tech clothing to wear underneath then fine - if not a t-shirt and longsleeve jersey will be fine.

Around the neck I'd wear a buff - these are fairly cheap too ... just keeping the neck and face warmer helps you get into the ride.

Legs - I normally ride in bib tights - but you can get away with trousers if you're careful about the ankle area.

Last bit - gloves - I just wear ski gloves if it's really cold as I have an old pair ... or some Sealskins ... they're nice, but getting on a bit now so I don't mind wearing them on the bike.
  • Everyone is different but I have got by in these cold winter times by:

Base Layers (DHB £20) Wiggle, this is the item I have never not worn brilliant!
    Cycle Jersey (Choose your own) over the top of said base layer
    Bib padded shorts (Rutland £15) (obviously these go under the above).. I have had some strange looks going out in the freezing cold in shorts but once I set off, My legs dont get cold.. If they did i would just try and pedal harder :)
    Cycle Socks (choose your own)
    Cycle Shoes (choose your own)
    Toe Warmers (DHB Wiggle £8) can not recommend these enough when its cold simply slip over your shoes.
    Helmet (obviously)
    Gloves (I got some SealSkinz off eBay about £20 i think waterproof and do the trick brilliantly)
    Glasses (A must in my eyes pardon the pun)

I do have a Waterproof jacket which was a bit expensive compared to the rest of my kit but honestly if you are just riding in the dry, by the time you have layered up with Bib Shorts, Baselayer and Jersey you will be surprised how warm it will keep you...
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Wot they said really. I have some DHB roubaix bib tights which are warm enough to see me venturing out in this weather. On the top I wear a long sleeved merino base layer with a windproof softshell over the top. Feet are very important; Wooly Boolie merino socks inside my cycling shoes and Planet X neoprene overshoes outside. For gloves I have some Alturas the name of which escapes me; borderline warm enough in this weather. Neck and lower face is covered by a Buff, and beneath my helmet I wear either a beanie or another Buff. I stop my eyes streaming by wearing a £7 pair of Bolle Contour safety specs.
  • keef66
    sancho_uk wrote:
    Everyone is different but I have got by in these cold winter times by:

Base Layers (DHB £20) Wiggle, this is the item I have never not worn brilliant!
    Cycle Jersey (Choose your own) over the top of said base layer
    Bib padded shorts (Rutland £15) (obviously these go under the above).. I have had some strange looks going out in the freezing cold in shorts but once I set off, My legs dont get cold.. If they did i would just try and pedal harder :)

You seriously going out in these temperatures in shorts!!!??
  • Yeah seriously.. Genuinely doesnt bother me..

I tend to feel the cold more alot more up top than on the legs..
  • keef66
    sancho_uk wrote:
    Yeah seriously.. Genuinely doesnt bother me..

Faaark! My gonads are shrivelling at the thought of it.

To the OP, feel free to try shorts if you like, but you'd be well advised to familiarise yourself with the symptoms of frostbite first :shock:
  • Decathlon do cheap leg and arm warmers. Also some decent base layers (£9.99).
  • Haha come on its not that bad :)

That is why i said each to their own at the start of my post, as all my riding buddies wear tights.. To be honest i keep meaning to pick some up just havent got around to it.. (I should also add my Gonads are will protected behind decent underwear and the bib shorts)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    sancho_uk wrote:
    Yeah seriously.. Genuinely doesnt bother me..

Don't worry about your knees - you can always have a knee op later on in life! ;)
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Face Mask - Ebay £4
    More Miles long sleeve cycling Jersy - Ebay £20
    T-Shirt
    Winter Leggings (Missus bough me them from Aldi)
    Thicker Socks
    Trainers
    Fingerless Gloves (Need some winter ones)

A tad cold when I start but after 5 min its either I have lost feeling or I am warmed up, Bought a mask as I hate my face being cold & it covers my ears too.

If feeling to cold My old golf windjammer top as an extra layer
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • Thanks for the comments folks. £100 is only a guide but I don't want to go mad and buy everything in site only to find that its crip.

With hindsight however I went out probably as ill prepared as you can get. I went out in shorts, trainers, tshirt, and a hiking base layer and helmet. So it seems that anything purpose built, windproof would be a definite win.

Thanks for the advice so fdar. Too. Its much appreciated and its given me some useful pointers.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Merino base, long sleeved cycling jersey, bib tights, breathable wind/ rainproof top, merino waterproof socks over normal socks, two layer gloves, woolly hat underneath helmet and I was still freezing today...

I have built my stuff up over time and a couple of Christmas and birthdays as it is so expensive to get good gear that is comfy and does the business. Did make the mistake of thinking that old running gear would be ok to use. Like you I learned the hard way!
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    8497443399_f1a8baed42_z.jpg

That little lot does me.

Aldi base layer - leggings and top.
    Mountain Warehouse wicking T shirt
    Lidl arm warmers
    Lidl long sleeve Jersey
    Shorts - These are Endura, but could equally use my £15 Altura ones.
    Lidl Leg warmers
    Overshoes
    wool gloves to go under mitts - surprised how warm this is, and the wool gloves are v-cheap!
    Buff
    Folding rainproof - just in case.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tights - 45 quid from CRC private sale. (the Campag ones - housemate just got them and they are lovely) (down from 150)
    Gloves - 10 quid or so - planet x
    Jacket - 45 quid from CRC Private sale (the Campag one, again) (down from 150)

Anything you already have in your wardrobe should be sufficient to wear underneath. The gloves won't be the best but down to about 8 they'll be fine. (the sealskins sound good, or again, the campag ones from CRC private sale are only 19.20 and mentally warm, down from 65).

Not sure why the campy stuff is so cheap, but it is REALLY good. (I think most of it is going to be discontinued). Very tempted to get another jacket or some tights, but mine are actually fine.
    I have an Endura Baa Baa base layer which I swear by, but they are about 35 quid. I was also lucky to get an Assos windproof warm jacket off here (predecessor to the 851) for £40 which I wear every winter day commuting or riding.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    Hmm - for me a reasonable jacket is a must - keep the core warm and the rest will be warmer....

Yes, but you don't need a jacket to keep the core warm - at least not an expensive one. You can achieve the same results with careful layering for much less cost - I've only recently got an expensive-ish jacket (Gore Phantom) but I've managed perfectly well with the Aldi softshells and if I didn't have those I'd just layer more. Feet and hands do need a bit of thought though and for a hundred pound budget I'd be looking first for hand and feet stuff and then the roubaix tights.

With you on the ski gloves though these aren't warm enough for me either! Lucky this winter hasn't been particularly cold so far. I've yet to arrive at work with hands and feet in pain!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks guys!

That's a good shot too of your kit albeit intimidating he he.

I think I'll get by for now with the my hiking jacket and layers and spend some cash on decent gloves and overshoes for now.

Thanks
  • Mikey41
    hehe, it's not all that much, and it's only taken 5 months to collect.

Still, you know what was cold, so address those first and you'll be OK with what else you have for a while. Keep an eye out for Aldi and Lidl doing cycling sales. The Lidl jerseys and their bib longs were a tenner each and they're not bad.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey I've gotta be honest I've never thought of lidls selling cycling clothes so. I will have to keep an eye out there!

Currently bidding on eBay ATM for sealskinz, overshoew, and a snood facemask thingy so hopefully will be kitted out for next weekend.

Not looking forward to dressing up as big daddy though with a bib of sorts.
  • Mikey41
    I didn't know either until I signed up here. They don't always sell them, but when they do each store gets a load of stuff and when it's gone, it's gone. Keep an eye out and get there at opening time on the first day of the sale or the place will have been cleaned out :lol:

Their base layers, like Aldis, are excellent, the gloves are rubbish, but most other stuff is pretty good. It will certainly do me for quite a while by the looks of it.

Plenty of other places that also sell suitable clothing. Mountain Warehouse has cycling tops at very reasonable price, look for one of their factory outlet stores. I've gathered stuff from many places that will be useful for the bike.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • You definitely don't need a jacket unless it's either incredibly cold or you're intending to ride longer than it will take for you to dry out; being wet through on a 200km Audax wouldn't be much fun.

Much better to wear a windproof winter jersey, which will also have no boil-in-the-bag effect and very probably a closer fit. Combine that with a merino base layer or just another jersey and you should be fine for much of this country has to offer; it suits me, anyway. Get yourself a wool cap - preferably with ear flaps - some good quality gloves, and some warm socks and overshoes too.

Ultimately however, cycling attire is a composite, and the best way to be is to have a vast plethora of different options. Base layers (long and short sleeve, thermal and not-so-thermal), mid layers, outer layers, short sleeve jerseys (both for very warm days and not-quite-so-warm days) long sleeve jerseys (different ones for late summer, autumn, winter and spring), gilet, waterproofs (lightweight and pocketable through to full-on deluge resistant), shorts, tights, arm and leg warmers of different lengths, roubaix and non, caps, gloves, socks, shoes and overshoes for all seasons... etc etc etc. Unfortunately it takes some people longer than others to accumulate. :lol:
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    My cycling wardrobe has taken two years to fill, and i have probably got everything i need now for all seasons.

Today i will be going out in,

Shoes with Covers
    Thermal socks
    Leg warmers
    Bib shorts
    Winter Boxers
    Base layer
    Jersey
    Gilet
    Buff
    Skull Cap
    Helmet

Will be toasty, but the add that all up in cost would be scarey! :roll:
  • And I'm about to go out in short sleeves because the zip on my otherwise lovely winter jersey has decided to jam. :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Just back with and fairly warm throughout. Waterproof socks over ordinary socks and neoprene overshoes took care of feet and double layer specialized gloves kept hands warm
  • Just been out for a quick ride, and only body parts that got cold were toes. Found it really hard work though, energy levels were zapped.

Started road cycling in September and have used dhb, Endura, Decathalon and Aldi to supply all my clothing so far. The dhb Roubaix windproof top has been a great buy, that with a thin base layer has kept me warm in all conditions. Aldi trousers / tights have been vital in cold weather and a complete bargain.

Will need a short sleeve top for the summer (any suggestions?) and buying an Endura Frontline base layer as reckon that would be a versatile piece of kit. Found out that I'm not medium for Endura base layers (5' 11", 78kgs..).
  • royce
    royce Posts: 24
    Have you looking in "Sportsdirect"?
    They have a range of MuddyFox cycling gear.
    Jackets, shorts, leggings etc.
    Ok so they are more know for MTB but when needs must!

Roy
  • How about Planet X?. They have roubaix bib tights for £30 and their wind block gloves are great for £10. I would second trying out sports direct as they have baselayers for £6

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLPXBIBT/planet_x_super_roubaix_bib_tights
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLPXWINGL/planet_x_wind_block_gloves
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-thermal-zip-top-mens-402072?colcode=40207222

oh and I have to give my usual shout out to Prendas for their superb winter socks
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=18&ID=773

so that's legs, baselayer, socks and gloves for £54
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • I got a £15 softshell cycling jacket from Lidl , it's not bad for 15 quid. I also find Primark quite good - for cheap sports thermals, though I don't know what it's like for guys stuff.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Decathlon, too.