GPS

Slo Mo Jones
Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Does anyone know of an app that will let me programme a ride and give me turn by turn directions? Tried Bike Hub but won't seem to let me choose my own route.

Ta

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Phone or GPS?
    iPhone or Android?
    Garmin or Bryton?
  • iPhone
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    Iphone is a toy. Only proper way is a bryton rider 50 or the Garmin 800
  • You can also Map a ride with Ride With GPS site.. (type Ride with GPS) in google..

You will still need a device to load it into mind.. I use my Garmin 500 to do it.. It isnt particularly difficult to map a ride and will give you turn by turn directions although not as clearly as an 800 will obviously.

Still works a treat for me...
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012
  • slowbike
    jagx400 wrote:
    They're all toys ...

The only proper way is with a sextant and a sketch book ...

Does that sound ridiculous? So does your post....
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Slowbike wrote:
    jagx400 wrote:
    Is there any need for that on the beginners forum? Or did I overlook the intended humour ? :roll:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    jagx400 wrote:

Any need for that on a beginners forum??
  • slowbike
    Sprool wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    jagx400 wrote:
    Is there any need for that on the beginners forum? Or did I overlook the intended humour ? :roll:
    you're misquoting ...

my jibe was at Jagx400 who dismissed the OPs choice of GPS out of hand - certainly no need for that on a beginners forum!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    for TbT on an iPhone I think you need a special app. Only the bryton or Garmin cycle gps will otherwise give you what you need.
    You make your routes on BikeToaster (other websites are available) then upload them to your Garmin which can give you TbT
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    From a much earlier thread: iPhone vs cycle computer

Buy the correct tool for the job. What the Garmin 800 gives you is the ability to plan a route on the Internet and then have turn by turn directions as you ride. You might be able to do that with an iPhone but there are 3 major issues:

1. Battery. Turn by turn directions requires the screen to be on all the time, this means your iPhone battery is only going to last a few hours at best and then if you do get into problems how do you phone for help? You can buy battery boosters but your adding more and more bits onto your bike that have to be mounted somewhere. If your rides are only an hour or two it's not a problem, but when you go for 6 hour rides...

2. Weather proofing. for turn by turn directions your device needs to be mounted on the handlebars. You can buy waterproof housings for an iPhone, but the Garmin is designed for the purpose.

3. Crashes. Now that your phone is on the handlebars it is susceptible to damage in the event of a collision, just when you want your phone to call for assistance.

If you only want to record where you went, then a Garmin 200 or Bryton Rider 20 or an iPhone are great.

If you want full turn by turn navigation following a pre-planned route, you can't beet a Garmin 800 IMHO.
  • Gizmodo wrote:

If you want full turn by turn navigation following a pre-planned route, you can't beet a Garmin 800 IMHO.

or get a 705 for half the price ;)
  • Gizmodo
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Can you still buy a new 705 as they were discontinued well over a year ago, or are you talking about buying a used one?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Gizmodo wrote:
    From a much earlier thread: iPhone vs cycle computer

Buy the correct tool for the job. What the Garmin 800 gives you is the ability to plan a route on the Internet and then have turn by turn directions as you ride. You might be able to do that with an iPhone but there are 3 major issues:

1. Battery. Turn by turn directions requires the screen to be on all the time, this means your iPhone battery is only going to last a few hours at best and then if you do get into problems how do you phone for help? You can buy battery boosters but your adding more and more bits onto your bike that have to be mounted somewhere. If your rides are only an hour or two it's not a problem, but when you go for 6 hour rides...

2. Weather proofing. for turn by turn directions your device needs to be mounted on the handlebars. You can buy waterproof housings for an iPhone, but the Garmin is designed for the purpose.

3. Crashes. Now that your phone is on the handlebars it is susceptible to damage in the event of a collision, just when you want your phone to call for assistance.

If you only want to record where you went, then a Garmin 200 or Bryton Rider 20 or an iPhone are great.

Gizmodo is dead right. I faffed about with smartphone apps but a dedicated unit really is the way to go IMHO.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Has anyone tried using the Holux GP Sport 260? I got one for £70. I havent tried the turn by turn mapping function yet. but for the strava thing it works brilliantly, shows speed, av speed etc while you ride. Certainly much cheaper than the garmin with only a few elements of functionality missing

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-11-45375
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    Slowbike wrote:
    jagx400 wrote:
    They're all toys ...

It was meant to be serious. Phones are for calling, the battery life isnt up to it. go back to your homework, there's a good lad
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Can you still buy a new 705 as they were discontinued well over a year ago, or are you talking about buying a used one?

yes. i just got myself a refurbished 705 with HRM and cadence. All came in proper new garmin packaging with all cds and manuals. Unit itself is brand new condition, iam pretty sure when they refurb the screen and case is replaced. Best part is it comes with 12 months warranty and got it cheaper than what the ebay bidding addicts are paying on 2nd hand units with no warranty.

BurrowsGPS.co.uk really cant fault them. Ordered wednesday night arrived friday.

http://www.burrowsgps.co.uk/garmin-edge-705-heart-rate-monitor-speed-cadence-i7186.html
  • slowbike
    jagx400 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    jagx400 wrote:
    They're all toys ...

It was meant to be serious. Phones are for calling, the battery life isnt up to it. go back to your homework, there's a good lad
    Don't be patronizing - there's a good boy .. and I get paid for my homework.

If you want to be serious then try not to belittle the other poster - maybe they're wrong - but take time to explain why you believe their wrong - or just don't post.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    jagx400 wrote:
    I have yet to see a single important aspect of functionality that a grossly over-priced Garmin 800 has that a decent phone (eg iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S2/S3 etc) cannot match.

Gizmodo does, however, make one very important point and that is that smartphones have terrible battery life. I have a Galaxy S2 and I carry a spare battery around with me. To match the battery life of a (grossly over-priced) Garmin 800 I would probably have to carry 2 spares. If I had an iPhone, I'd be fairly much stuffed.

If you are never out for more than 2-3 hours there are plenty of satnav apps for iPhone and Android (including Google Navigation, which is free but requires network access). If you expect to be out for any longer than that, sadly you have no choice but to be price gouged.
  • Gizmodo
    lotus49 wrote:
    jagx400 wrote:
    I have yet to see a single important aspect of functionality that a grossly over-priced Garmin 800 has that a decent phone (eg iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S2/S3 etc) cannot match.

Gizmodo does, however, make one very important point and that is that smartphones have terrible battery life. I have a Galaxy S2 and I carry a spare battery around with me. To match the battery life of a (grossly over-priced) Garmin 800 I would probably have to carry 2 spares. If I had an iPhone, I'd be fairly much stuffed.

If you are never out for more than 2-3 hours there are plenty of satnav apps for iPhone and Android (including Google Navigation, which is free but requires network access). If you expect to be out for any longer than that, sadly you have no choice but to be price gouged.
    So which iPhone/Android apps allow you to follow a GPX or similar pre-planned route with turn by turn directions?
    That was the original question and so far I can't see an answer. All the ones I tried (years ago) only allowed for shortest/fastest route from A to B.
  • bit of a grey area. the best app on my android i found for it was osmand. Allows you to follow a created route with voice naviagation etc. Never actually had a chance to test it fully but seemed to work ok..
  • slowbike
    I don't know - I've got the garmin 800 ! ;)
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Gizmodo wrote:
    So which iPhone/Android apps allow you to follow a GPX or similar pre-planned route with turn by turn directions?
    That was the original question and so far I can't see an answer. All the ones I tried (years ago) only allowed for shortest/fastest route from A to B.
    Sygic, BackCountry and Google Navigation can all do this. BackCountry can read GPX files directly. You will need to convert a GPX file to KML for Google Navigation. There is a way to do it in Sygic but I can't remember the details.

I am sure there are others as well. These are just three ways I know of.
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    iPhone App - Endomondo, this wont give you turn by turn, but you can live track and follow your route live on screen. I work out my routes using the BikeRadar Route Planner, then use Endomondo on the road. It will work out all you need to know about the ride and route, but not Heart rate.

Endomondo has the route planner option, but its not that great following the road with one click.

I use a seperate Polar unit. for this, because I had a Wearlink from agaes ago.

Yes correct for some of the points, battery life is poor when running Endomondo and Itunes :) If you are following the route as well, it will only last 2hrs tops......

I know as this is what I am using now and I am also considering an upgrade due to wanting to track my routes but ride for longer.

Hope this helps :)
  • Try Cyclestreets. http://www.cyclestreets.net/

just realised, it may have the same issue as Bikehub. You could always plan multiple routes, with one starting where the previous left off. Cyclestreets allows you to have the maps on your phone, just need the connection for the planning stage.