Breakfast!

mogrigg
mogrigg Posts: 73
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
I always have my breakfast when I get into work (yes I know that sounds really sad). Unfortunately, I'm never hungry early in the morning and certainly can't eat before I exercise. I just wondered what people ate for breakfast. I've been having porridge this week but find that after a couple of hours I'm starving.

If this post has already been discussed...apologies!!! :)

Comments

• I realised as I ran out the door this morning that i probably should think about eating before commuting. I normally have 'crunchy nut cornlakes in the office.

Can see it being a piece of fruit in the car on the way to the parking spot, then some cereal in the office (maybe something more substantial) after my 9 miles inon the bike.

But most importantly, coffee and coffee
  • What's a 'more substantial' breakfast???

It has to be tea first thing!!! :)
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Cereals before I set off and sometimes have a slice of toast when I get to work. Allways have a cuppa as soon as I get to Nelson Mandela House every morning.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • mogrigg wrote:
    I've been having porridge this week but find that after a couple of hours I'm starving.

Eat more porridge?

You should actually try eating every 2 or 3 hours - nuts are ideal as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack.

It's subject to quite a bit of debate on here but nutritionalists and "energy for performance" people I've spoken to all advocate eating breakfast before exercise (1-2 hours before - means getting up earlier?)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    cereal. Usually sultana bran or weetabix.

I've got an 18 mile commute, i can't do it without some fuel inside me.

I also like to take a dump before i leave, having breakfast gives me a chance to get one baking
    FCN = 4
  • Nothing before I leave for work (just up and straight out of the house by about 6.45am), protein shake with 500ml skimmed milk after I've showered and changed. This just about sees me through to lunchtime. I only have 6.5 miles each way to go though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    This morning? Small porridge and raisins plus a wholemeal bagel with peanut butter when I got in. Worked a treat and less than 600 cal.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    2 large bowls of porridge, 500ml Maximuscle Weightgain Extreme shake, 4 rounds of toast with peanut butter, two banananas and a cup of coffee. Then a mid-morning snack of 2 Snickers bars and another banana or two. Just about keeps the engine running.
  • 7am: 2 rounds of sandwiches (contents vary), bar of chocolate, apple & banana.

I have this at my desk, it is prepared the night before as lunch but I have no self-control. :oops:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    bacon, egg, sausage, beans, black pudding, fried slice, hash brown.
    cup of tea
    brown sauce.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    james Hunt had the right idea.
    James-Hunt.jpg
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Double Espresso
    13 mile commute
    Muesli at work
    Fasted early morning cardio principle -allegedly very good for fat burning (old bodybuilders swear by it)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    vermin wrote:
    2 large bowls of porridge, 500ml Maximuscle Weightgain Extreme shake, 4 rounds of toast with peanut butter, two banananas and a cup of coffee. Then a mid-morning snack of 2 Snickers bars and another banana or two. Just about keeps the engine running.

There are worms, and there are Vermin's worms.

Tremors-3.jpg
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Coffee with a Pernod in it and a couple of B&H...

Alright... a bowl of muesli and a large coffee.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Wow...well I've certainly learned I'm not eating enough (always good news). Off to shop now ready to fuel for the ride home :)
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    I also like to take a dump before i leave, having breakfast gives me a chance to get one baking

Thanks for sharing!
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I don't eat till lunch. Usually around 12.
    If I'm out for a big weekend ride, I try and force something down, but generally not hungry early.
    exercise.png
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I eat breakfast @ 5 50 am, usually a bowl of cereal, I'll then have a banana, Yogurt and a large coffee when i get in the office.

Graze on what ever i have with me Till lunch (soreen, fruit, nuts & seeds, snack bars), then brown bread sandwiches at about 2 pm. plenty more caffeine during the day as well

No wonder I need to diet
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    vermin wrote:
    I'm just going to go with :shock:

How do you actually find time to eat all that?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First breakfast - bowl of muesli and a cup of coffee before I leave home. I have a 10 mile commute and I wouldn't make it on an empty stomach (I know - I've tried)

Second breakfast - banana when I get to work, and maybe some porridge if I'm really hungry.
  • Coffee and a bowl of porridge with banana and maple syrup

17.2 miles in on the MTB with 260m of climbing

A For Goodness Shakes recovery shake

A handful of almonds mid-morning.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I quite often don't bother with breakfast. Even if I feel hungry before I set off, by the time I do my 6.5 miles to work, the urge to eat has often gone so I have a latte and wait for lunch.

I'm doing the 5:2 fast 'diet' at the moment (after seeing various people I know get stunningly good results in terms of fat loss and blood work). So am also cycling home again still having not eaten so not breaking my fast until 7pm or so. Admittedly I'm not caning it but it's still a reasonable pace.