Big Ride Racing bleed kits

MintyBadger
MintyBadger Posts: 20
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Hi all, I have just completed a bleed of my Formula RX's using a http://www.BigRideRacing.co.uk kit and thought they deserved a plug. Having shelled out £25 for the Formula bleed kit a year ago I was a bit disappointed to find that the hoses/syringes had "rotted", probably due to the brake fluid.

Did a quick Google and found Big Ride offering a kit for 8 quid, I was a bit sceptical but thought for the money it was worth a punt. Kit arrived and it looked good, very good in fact, you do really get everything you need for the job, as well as gloves and towels there is a torx bit and a spare rubber O ring in case you need it. Syringes looked good too, much better quality than the Formula kit.

Didn't want to post anything until I did the bleed in case it all went horribly wrong but I can report everything fitted perfectly and both front and back brakes are now bled and working like new again!

P.S I don't work for them, I was just really impressed with the product.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are loads of non original bleed kits for a fraction of the price of OE ones which actually work better, especially for Avid brakes. The only manufacturer I know of which makes a reasonably priced good quality bleed kit is Shimano.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    There are loads of non original bleed kits for a fraction of the price of OE ones which actually work better, especially for Avid brakes. The only manufacturer I know of which makes a reasonably priced good quality bleed kit is Shimano.
    Which you don't really need anyway as their brakes are so easy to bleed! :lol:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Epic ones are good too- I've had a couple of Formula ones and it's nice to seem them evolving and improving the kit, the first one was fine but the new ones are better'n the official ones.

All you really need is the brass fitting, tbh- the syringes tend to go brittle over time or have the wee rubber thing swell up, but they're just standard syringes and dirt cheap. Likewise the hose, you can replace it with aquarium hose or similiar. But the fittings aren't so easy and worth the price of admission for those alone.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    You can get the syringes, probably for free, from your nearest vet.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    EH_Rob wrote:
    You can get the syringes, probably for free, from your nearest vet.

I found some behind some bins in the city centre. Can't beat free syringes
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Dammit, I wondered where I'd left those.