Derailure questions?

Tally Ho
Tally Ho Posts: 32
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking to potentially upgrade my front and rear derailure on on my hardtail. I'm currently running triple xt crank with font and rear 'deore' derailures. I want to change my rear derailure to XT shadow + and have been told I can run a medium cage GS derailure rather than the long cage SGS I currently use. What are the pro's and cons of a medium cage?
Will it break something if I ever have a tired, unaware moment and end up big, big crosschain? If I fit it do I keep the chain at the usual length (BIg Big + 2 links)? Also, for my front derailure, will I noticed any shifting imrovement if I upgrade to XT or XTR. I'm running XTR shifters and new cables/housing already but I won't change the front derailure (its only 7 months old and in good nick) unless there will be a noticable improvement in shifting. Its not exactly bad now, I'm just wondering if a front derailure upgrade would make it even better or is just a waste of money?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I some sort of order:
    Shorter less chance of snagging on rocks, doubt a medium will work with a triple - you need to check the range.
    Maybe.
    Yes.
    Maybe, marginally.
    Maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shadow + only available in 10 speed - yours is.....?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Shadow + only available in 10 speed - yours is.....?

Yes it is.