150 budget for new or used wheels?

blackstick
blackstick Posts: 151
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Helo, been itching for some lighter wheels.
Any recommendation for around 150?

I saw Fulcrum Racing 5, MAvic Aksium 2013. If there is anything else other than this?
Looking for some higher ends used ones but no luck yet. :D
Currently using R501, which is not bad for the price.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Save another £150 and your options start to look much better.

£150 is not enough to do the upgrade justice.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ^WHS
    Never scratch an itch.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    smidsy wrote:
    Save another £150 and your options start to look much better.

£150 is not enough to do the upgrade justice.

+1

If you are upgrading wheels best to make it worth your while and go to around £300 mark otherwise you are buying similar stuff to what you already have. Not to say Fulcrum 5s are not slightly better then 501s but thats it. £150 for slightly better. You need to make sure any change has a marked improvement over what you have already or you are throwing cash away.
  • hmmm thanks for the advice
    will be saving up and get really high end ones
  • blackstick wrote:
    hmmm thanks for the advice

The planet x al30 are fairly good for the money...
    left the forum March 2023
  • blackstick wrote:
    hmmm thanks for the advice

The planet x al30 are fairly good for the money...

I concur, Planet X wheels are good quality as previously stated, I owned some they make a nice hum when at speed because of the bladed spokes. :mrgreen:
  • Vortice wrote:
    Got a set myself. They were replacing really nasty wheels on my Carerra. But an astonishing difference. Probably not such a step up from R501s? To get similar weights (I looked) you're looking at spending a lot more. With tyre & cassette on, they weigh about the same as my old wheel did, stripped.
    We've got loads of nasty potholes round here. I've had them since October and both are still completely straight despite plenty of whacks and a clumsy oaf of a daughter who thinks nowt of sticking her pedals through the spokes when she dumps her bike in the garage. :mrgreen:
  • ah defo worth a look, Swiss made too~
  • blackstick wrote:
    ah defo worth a look, Swiss made too~

Yeah, right... No alps in China... :wink:
  • Yeah, right... No alps in China... :wink:
    :mrgreen: Taiwan actually, and they make no secret of it. They have a video on the website of a factory tour.

From my sample (of 1!) the St Bernards are a great value set of wheels. As I say, I've not got anything great to compare against though. Lighter than most in the price bracket, they look pretty cool with the two red & one white spoke and the wood-effect rims (! 8) ) and my experience is they're strong - Plenty of nasty ruts & potholes on any lake district descent to give them a thorough mauling. And I'm a bit of an old, fat fogey :P
    Not a salesman, just trying to justfy my own purchase of an unknown brand.

Would you be able to get comparable hand-built wheels for that kind of price? That might be another route to go.
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    Yeah, right... No alps in China... :wink:
    :mrgreen: Taiwan actually, and they make no secret of it. They have a video on the website of a factory tour.

From my sample (of 1!) the St Bernards are a great value set of wheels. As I say, I've not got anything great to compare against though. Lighter than most in the price bracket, they look pretty cool with the two red & one white spoke and the wood-effect rims (! 8) ) and my experience is they're strong - Plenty of nasty ruts & potholes on any lake district descent to give them a thorough mauling. And I'm a bit of an old, fat fogey :P
    Not a salesman, just trying to justfy my own purchase of an unknown brand.

Would you be able to get comparable hand-built wheels for that kind of price? That might be another route to go.

At that price you can get some robust wheels based on Shimano 105, but no frills or coloured bits... I suppose you have to add a can of spray paint at halfords for that