Help identifying Giant MTB frame

davapod
davapod Posts: 11
edited February 2013 in MTB general
I bought this Giant MTB from ebay 3 or 4 years ago and have always been curious about the frame. The previous owner thought it was an XTC of some description. Apart from the frame no. there are no other markings that I can find... Interestingly the cable stays run along the top of the top tube which seems somewhat unusual as most Giant frames I've seen have them running underneath. Anyway if anyone has any thoughts I'd be grateful...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you want to try that again?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    1_f.jpg

2_f.jpg

3_f.jpg

4_f.jpg

5_f.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think it is a Giant Boulder - have seen one with cables that way before.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks like some protective film under the wires.

have a real close look for any decals showing through. or see if it will peel off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • davapod
    davapod Posts: 11
    edited February 2013
    There's nothing under the frame tape, I put it there to protect the frame. I don't think it's a boulder frame as the ones I've seen don't have a the type frame construction at the back (see the photo from the back).
  • nicklouse
    do you have any idea of the age of it when you got it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    it has V mounts - so if an XTC, is much older, or a more recent budget Giant.
  • nicklouse
    I amd thinking back to 2000 when Giant had top mounted cable routing.
  • I bought it second hand at the start of 2010, though I think it was at least a couple of years old then. The guy built the bike around the frame and it's running hollowtech deore drive train,. As you've noted it has both v brake and disc mount...Seat post is 27.2mm.
  • nicklouse
    Mmm ZS headset. so when did that start?
  • I'm not sure, the headset is an FSA item if that helps
  • nicklouse
    drop outs look wrong as well.

will have a to look into it a bit more.
  • supersonic
    yeah, the dropouts are odd. There is another frame with that distinct seatstay bridge, can't for the life of me remember what it is though.
  • The Rookie
    I think the frame has been stripped and restickered, hence no name.

Does it have the Giant logo stamped into the rear dropouts? All Giants I've seen do.

Not convinced it's a Giant at all, especially with a 27.2mm seatpost.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    I am guessing the frame size is V large? 19"+ ?
  • I've considered the possibility it might be another frame manufacturer but it certainly looks like a Giant frame. Particularly when you look at the steerer tube bracing. Also the shape of the seat stay bridge being curved seems to be Giant trait. The only stamping or marking on the frame relates to the serial no. which starts SW040xxxx..
  • The frame is 19"
  • The Rookie
    nicklouse wrote:
    I am guessing the frame size is V large? 19"+ ?
    My old Rincon was an XL - 22"

To clarify Giants tend to have the logo stamped into the rear dropout.

I've seen that style of seatstay 'bridging' on a Merida frame as well.
  • There's definitely no logo stamped into the rear dropout, and having a look on the net there certainly do seem to be similarities with some Merida frames.
  • The Rookie
    That rear mech hanger is very like the most common Merida one (as fitted to Carrera's for example).

Merida frame numbers tend (some 'brands' are different) to be 2 letters, then 1 or 2 numbers (year, so 6 or 06 is 2006) then the unique number.
  • Perhaps contact Giant and speak to a rep?
  • nicklouse
    Mmmm Ridgeback.

mm Boardman drop outs.
  • Funnily enough I also have a Carrera Subway, and the dropouts do look similair in design.
    Albeit the Carrera is a 2012 model. Also I have a Boardman comp (2008) and again the drop outs look similair
  • My 2006 xtc has the semi integrated head tube. Front end is very like an xtc but rear end is quite different.

I think Giant had already been using the semi integrated headset top tube for a while when I got mine.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • My 2006 xtc has the semi integrated head tube. Front end is very like an xtc but rear end is quite different.

I think Giant had already been using the semi integrated headset top tube for a while when I got mine.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Yeah, looking at the frame no. I think the frame might be from 2004
  • nicklouse
    davapod wrote:
    Yeah, looking at the frame no. I think the frame might be from 2004
    not found a Giant frame with top cable routing newer than 2000.
  • No nor have I, I've been looking at merida, carrera and others as well and still haven't found anything. I did find a 2004 carrera fury that had top cable routing and a similar steerer brace but the seatstay bridge looked conventional from what I could see.

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12696324