SCOTT Sportster 50 - first impressions

sci
sci Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in Commuting general
Recently I decide to buy a new bike, and as I wasn't really aware of the local market, I start researching the good models for daily commuting in the range of 500EUR. I tend to like more the road bikes instead of MTBs and my favorite is one almost 40 years old Italian racing bike with CrMo frame and Campagnolo components. Long story short - I finally made a list of hybrids with good reputation and was going to search next a good place to see and buy.
But on a shopping tour with the family we went to a fancy sport store, where one extremely beautiful bike in black and red catch my eye. Didn't knew even the model and details about it, I just order it... because it was really "sexy". Maybe it is true that sometimes properties from the opposite sex are sleeping in everyone of us 8) And here it is, after few days of riding, my first impression from the SCOTT Sportster 50 - 2012.
My_Scott.jpg

Build quality:
I am a watch junkie and attention to the details in every product is important for me. I was really impressed of the perfectionism the machine is build with. It's true, that big part of the quality of the product is coming from the 3-rd party components suppliers (Shimano, Suntour, etc), but here I am speaking about the quality as a feeling. There was no single scratch on the bike, no imperfect printings or paint drops, no misaligned components.
It's maybe not unusual and for some of you - even funny, but that is the first bike I own, where the stickers and the paint are additionally covered with a tick layer of transparent lack. The drive train is delivered by Shimano and is from the mid-end Acera line. The frame is double butted 6061 alloy and is used in the whole Sportster line up to 1200+ EUR models, which gives additional confidence. The rims are my preferable size 700C and the overall weight of about 13kg is quite acceptable, especially taking into account the suspension fork in the package (BTW, I choose the suspension only because of the watches, believe me or not).

Riding:
The idea of the hybrid bikes is to be in the middle, taking the best of two worlds - MTB and roadsters. But when you try to do something in between, there is also the risk to take the worst of the two worlds instead. That's NOT the case with SCOTT Sportster. It is really in between MTB and Road, but my perception is, that it is closer to the road bike when the speed and efficiency are concerned. If I exchange the tires with slicks, it would be perfect for the road. The stock ones are also acceptable, but definitely are chosen to allow in addition slight off-road activities out of the box.
The gear shifting is smooth and precise, at least till now. I don't know what to expect from Acera as durability long term, but have a good feeling from the experience till now.
The frame geometry is definitely my cup of tee - the riding position is quite comfortable, but is not jeopardizing lot of the aerodynamics. Being traditionalist I like the diamond frames and the Sportster looks maybe a little sporty. A big practical advantage is actually the big clearance under the rider (reducing the risk of reproduction organs injury)
The saddle is a little bit hard, but I am still in adaptation period - maybe I will appreciate it more with the time.

Conclusion:
The SCOTT Sportster looks very impressive and turns sights on the street. But is not only good looking - it's fast, efficient and comfortable. It's that kind of bike you can take to travel anywhere with confidence. The overall perception is for a high-quality product with a class at very competitive price.

Comments

• Yeah, you pay attention to details, that's why you are using in your first post Americanisms like "jeopardizing" and "favorites". American spelling.
  • sci
    sci Posts: 5
    Hello. I appologise being not a native English speaker. And seems I post in the wrong forum (maybe due to my poor language I misunderstood it's a bike forum). Thank you for the warm welcome :)
  • Found the review quite informative, I'm currently researching opinions on the Sportster range as I'm thinking of ordering a Scott E-Sportster 20 with the Bosch E-drive and it's refreshing to read a true user review instead of Marketing blurb!
    Speaking as a native English speaker with no other languages to my itinerary, all I can say is hats off to you! :P
    Do you still enjoy the bike?
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I have an old Scott Sportster. My review:

It was OK once I got rid of the suspension forks and put decent tyres on it.
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    I am glad you like it. It just goes to show that different bikes suit different people.
    I have a Scott Sportster 50 (2011)
    It is a lovely looking bike, but it weighs a ton! I haven't checked it but I am sure it weighs more than 13 kg!!!
    Because of this it is not easy to get it up the hills, despite the low gearing. Not much fun on the snake pass?
    I am not sure about the tyres and suspension forks either - why have almost MTB tyres on a hybrid? I much preferred my old Specialized Sirrus - wish I had never got rid of it. I tried to get another one instead of the Scott but at the time they were doing a recall on the forks and the bikes were unavailable and I needed a bike quickly for commuting.
    I wish I had waited. :cry:
    It looks like I will also be getting rid of the suspension and fitting new tyres.
    By the way, There is nothing wrong with your English!
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    The frame isn't too heavy, but the stock wheels were. I wore my rims down, so now I have a new set which are pretty average. The suspension forks do weigh quite a bit, I replaced them with some of these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15348
    which weigh a lot less and don't make you bounce up and down when you're pedaling out of the saddle.

I also put gatorskin tires on mine, that made a massive difference - much faster.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Yeah, you pay attention to details, that's why you are using in your first post Americanisms like "jeopardizing" and "favorites". American spelling.

Could you be a bigger douchenozzle? I think not. Had you paid attention to detail you would have easily deduced the OP wasn't native, or even local for that matter. :roll:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Here's an update folks,
    My bike is great it's essentially a sportster X20 which is the second highest in the sportster range, the forks fitted are NCX rather than the even more basic NEC! . A colleague of mine has bought a sportster X50 and for some bizarre reason it came with MTB style tires, mine has fitted schwalbe marathon supreme tires.
    As for weight it's very so weird, the lower spec sportster X50 weighs only 4 kg less than than my bike! Her bike is naked, and mine has the full Urban 2 fender/rack kit and the Bosch E drive system, of which the motor alone weighs in at 4.5 kg! graphically demonstrating it must be the weight saving of the higher spec components between the two that saves enough weight to basically ofset .5kg of the motor and negate the weight of the battery, electric components and the fender kit :D .
    Riding the two bikes back to back (no motor) even with the extra weight my bike it is noticeably a better ride (my colleague agrees) it's smother, faster and there is little to no diving of the forks on out of saddle pumping :D the tires on her bike are defiantly the first things to change but we suspect that the wheels are a culprit too! the bike seems reluctant to get going hard to explain but it's like your constantly pulling a trailer :? FYI both bikes are brand new (cycle to work scheme) and there is nothing dragging on her bike :lol: .
    Now we come to switch on the electric assist and its shockingly sublime almost organic :lol: the way it assists is akin to having a friend push you like a parant does a child if you peddle hard (torque) the motor backs off, if you peddle fast (high cadence) the motor backs off! "Why bother?" I hear you ask, well I work at an airport(highest point in the town) and I live at near the lowest point of the town so heres why.

on the longest steepest hill exiting a very busy roundabout (no run up)

my un assisted mtb at the bottom I'm doing 8mph at the top 3mph and I'm absolutely banjaxed (sometimes I cry :lol: )
    E-Sportster un assisted 9mph at the bottom 6mph at the top very out of breath (possible mild weeping :lol: )
    E-Sportster peddling hard! 11mph at the bottom 13mph at the top (out of breath mildly sweaty, not even welling up!)
    E-Sportster peddling in the "sweet zone" (think Mrs Marple) 13mph all the way and totally relaxed and dare i say rather smug!

I look forward to any comments be it pro or critique especially regards my "copping out" although in my own defence I ride to work every day and have done for over 20 years! and even more especially comments from our friend cajun_cyclist with regards to my poor command of spelling and grammar :lol: in my defence I'm using a macbook pro and its American so I'm blaming that!
    Best regard to you all and please stay safe!
  • I enjoyed your review. I recently purchased a Scott Sportster 50 as my introductory bike to regular riding. I bought the bike about 16 weeks ago and began riding it daily. It was such a pleasure to ride, after having ridden mostly steel tanks before that. I had been riding my steel bike about 12 miles at time. My first ride on the Scott was 15 miles and was quite easy. I have since ridden my Scott Sportster 41 miles in a single ride. I now ride the bike a minimum of 24 miles per day for exercise I have signed up for an event in November where I will be riding a 70 mile course. The Scott is a wonderful bike and is still as sturdy as the day I purchased it; I have put more than 1800 miles on it since I purchased it. I did change the stock seat for a more manly friendly ergonomic model. I also added new grips, and an extension to raise the handlebars up and backward. With these changes I have been able to ride the bike comfortably for 2 hours non-stop at a clip.