iphone apps

tonecoles
tonecoles Posts: 33
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
can you recommend the best apps to track rides and store information etc and what is good about them and what are the shortcomings.

thanks

tc

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    tonecoles wrote:
    can you recommend the best app to track rides and store information etc
    Strava.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Map my ride is ok. Not as popular as Strava but it holds its own if its just for personal times and not bothered about others.
  • smoggysteve
    Makes me laugh that you can get cycling and running apps for iPad. Who the hell is gonna go cycing/running with a tablet under their arm? I know people would want to just use the app for keeping tabs on records etc, but some are actually used like a phone can . Bizarre.
  • i guess you could mount the i pad on your bars and watch a film as you ride lol.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Cyclemeter, i've got a Garmin 500 and there's squat difference between the two for the average man, I've run the two over the past week and you can't seperate them for results and info.
    Put a Cateye on your bars and your phone in your pocket and bobs your uncle.
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    Makes me laugh that you can get cycling and running apps for iPad. Who the hell is gonna go cycing/running with a tablet under their arm? I know people would want to just use the app for keeping tabs on records etc, but some are actually used like a phone can . Bizarre.

I think the idea of having it on an I pad is to review your training and map when at home. So log the ride on an i "phone" and then look at the detail later on the the i "pad". I use an i phone to log rides but look back at them on the laptop when I get home due to a bigger screen.
  • I used Strava via my iphone to begin with, then bought a Cateye for the cadence then realised I wanted more....

So I got the Garmin Edge 500 with HRM+Cadence+Speed Sensor for about £185. The Garmin Connect software is very good and you can upload to Strava in 2 clicks. Phone now stays in the pocket, Garmin on the stem. I doubt you'll ever need anything else.
  • smoggysteve
    wod1 wrote:

I think the idea of having it on an I pad is to review your training and map when at home. So log the ride on an i "phone" and then look at the detail later on the the i "pad". I use an i phone to log rides but look back at them on the laptop when I get home due to a bigger screen.

Yeah, I kind of got that. Was just that you could technically use the iPad as you would an iPhone. You didn't have to explain it dude.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    bike brain is really good

maps everything and speed etc.. also heart rate & cadence if you've got sensors
  • I wish I could get a good navigation app as I would love to use my phone to get me around

Being able to use a gpx file would be good to follow a route

Currently would like to be able to get it to get me on new routes

Strava is very addictive lol
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211