kona kikapu front wheel problem

Reg82
Reg82 Posts: 11
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys just joined and need some help please. My front wheel keeps moving over (so its out of true) after braking. Then causes it to bind against the disc very annoying. It's obviously the brake pulling it one side but how can I cure it ? If I tighten the quick release up to tight it either won't run free or will still move.I feel like jumping on the wheel at the mo so any ideas or help appreeciated, thanks.

Comments

• Reg82
    Yes mate I've fiddled about with alsorts can't seem to get to the bottom of it. What about the cone nuts and the quick release they have grooves in them to bite against eachother when tightened well they have gone nearly smooth where it keeps moving?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like you are not adjusting the cones properly. See read this first below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the quick release skewer and is it done up tightly?
  • Reg82
    Great link I've saved it. I've had a read in the hub section and checked ive got the hub central on the spindle I still don't understand why its doing it,I also adjusted the caliper. Everything seems to be fine maybe the fork drop out is warn allowing movement when the wheel is seated ?
  • supersonic
    What is the hub and quick release?
  • Reg82
    The rear hub says shimano fh-m475 viam on it so its the front version of that and the quick release is just standard what came on the bike no name on it . Thanks
  • supersonic
    Service the hub - when you adjust it, leave a tiny bit of play on the axle.

Then do the QR up tight.
  • Reg82
    Ok thanks I'll strip it down tomorrow give it a clean and grease up then I'll re-assemble and get back to you thanks again :wink:
  • Reg82
    Stripped it all down cleaned everything greased and re-assembled as said. I tightened the quick release up as tight as I can then as soon as I go down the hill and do some harsh braking I turned the bike over and the wheel no longer spins free . Undo the quick release then it re seats it self in the fork where it should be and its ok again till I go do some harsh braking again? Help!
  • supersonic
    How did you adjust the hub? Did you have the right cone spanners?
  • Reg82
    Yes I have the correct cone spanners and left a slight bit of play to allow for when I clamped it up really tight.It runs free until braking basically.What about the cone nuts the grooves are warn and the grooves on the quick release have warn where the wheel keeps moving in the fork ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt steel cones etc have worn in aluminium dropouts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Reg82
    I may try ordering up a good quality quick release at least that would rule the that out. How about the fork drop outs seem warn slightly?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like your QR was NBG, use a Shimano one (any will do, Deore are quite cheap) and see.....If the axle is moving in the dropouts it's nothing to do with the cone adjustment.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Reg82
    I've just ordered a xt shimano one so as soon as that comes I'll try it out and report back. Thanks for all your replys once again.
  • Reg82
    I've fitted the new xt quick release and first journey to work has been ok so far so I'll keep my fingers crossed, thanks for the help guys :D