http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paris-n ... time-trial

http://inrng.com/2013/02/2013-paris-nice-route/

Prologue, 3 non-mountain, then:

PROFIL-04.png
PROFIL-05.png
PROFIL-06.png

Ending with:
PROFIL-07.png

I was hoping finishing it with a TT was a one off last year. It's a shame imo. I really like the Nice-Nice stage.

parisnice2013.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• You know the season has really begun when you are planning how to get a few afternoons off to watch Paris-Nice.
    Always really enjoy this race. We tend to get a good idea about who might make a big impression on the season. Last year the start of BW's magic year. 2011 the first sign TM was going to blitz every TT going. 2010 I will remember for Sagan bursting onto the scene. 2009 for Contador falling apart before our very eyes and losing the race to LLS...I could go on and on.

The cast list looks a little weaker this year but maybe a chance for TVG to put a marker down early in the season in his battle for BMC leadership with Cadel?

Maybe De Gendt or Westra can step up for a big win? Chance for Gesink after he was actice in Mallorca?

If he is racing, I guess Valverde might start as favourite.

Interesting to see if Sky go there with GC hopes, Froome and Wiggins at T-A, means an opportunity for someone to step up.

This race looks like such a great opportunity for someone, looking forward to it. :D
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I'll be there for the prologue. Can't wait!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    I was hoping finishing it with a TT was a one off last year. It's a shame imo. I really like the Nice-Nice stage.
    It's quite traditional though. They had the same TT every year from 1968-1995.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Couldn't agree more 'The Prodigy'. Lots of good memories, love this race, looks weak this year. Might be all about TA.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95 wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know that. It was new to me last year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    RichN95 wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know that. It was new to me last year.

Good article in one of the comics of few years back about Kelly and D'Eze. All his wins finished with a TT up there.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Shame the field this year is looking a bit thin.

Gesink and Valverde surely the faves?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Valverde must be favourite I guess, but never quite sure how he will TT.

T-A is stacked this year, I hope that doesn't mean it doesn't make the race to conservative. It looks like being a stronger field than last years TDF!

Inner Ring has Andy S down to start, what odds on another DNF? He could have gone to P-N and actually tried to win a stage race.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143

Inner Ring has Andy S down to start, what odds on another DNF? He could have gone to P-N and actually tried to win a stage race.

Odds are high I think;

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to ... hed+a+race
  • That is brilliant : )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I bloody love this race. Got the chance of being in Nice for the final weekend - might have to grab it.
  • Young Contador lighting them up in Paris Nice.

Par1208533.jpg

And his first sign for me that he couldn't sprint well.

610x-7.jpg

Then you have him dancing to the top of Mende solo. I remember thinking that he was nuts not to have leg warmers but then I know he revels in the cold and rain.

1268328275157-1us8ol40env1f-670-75.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    It's one of my favourite moments getting to drop him in that Sufferfest video...;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2013
    This stage though. Panache personified.

parisnice_2011_8a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... X8SvOZSz9Y

I still can't believe people dislike the guy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Amaze.
  • Worth mentioning this as I am sure a lot of you are not aware of it.
    DM: When you watch a race, you want to believe that riders can stay away in a break. That’s what is exciting. It does still happen, like with Contador in the last stage of Paris-Nice [2009]. He’d been humiliated the day before. He got the hunger knock and blew his nuts off. Lost the jersey and was lying third or fourth. Tragedy. I said, ‘Watch Alberto go tomorrow.’ First mountain. Nobody believed me. I said, ‘He will, he will — it’s Alberto.’ First mountain, he went, from the bottom. That’s old school. His team didn’t set him up, he just went. There were still 100km to go. He attacked the whole peloton. And he was still away at the end, four riders.

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/features/d ... interview/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    I told ya, it's on one of the Sufferfests, Angels I think.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    Worth mentioning this as I am sure a lot of you are not aware of it.
    DM: When you watch a race..

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/features/d ... interview/

Great article in terms of talking about the things that capture the heart of the life-long cycling fan: but do you not dwell on the fact that it's 2 confessed dopers talking about another sanctioned rider who, despite his brilliant racing style and TC* credentials, straddled an age where, chat about "class" and "style" is rendered empty because they took the decision to join the "moral broom-wagon"? You want "class"? Check out Pantani in full cry, or Ullrich on Arcalis ('97)... I still deal with that acidic post-chunder taste because of all that.

That might be about to happen again with Fabian and could well happen again with Bertie: I hope you've developed an acid-proof oesophagus...

*True Champion
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I like the Col D'eze time trial. 9.6km..can compare times going back 40 years on that hill..used to be 10km in 1980s but number crunchers can have fun
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949

De Gendt can TT and climb
  • inkyfingers

De Gendt can TT and climb

True. Would be good to see him back up his Giro performance last year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Yeah. He has Paris Nice form. Classy rides there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Does anyone know how easy it is to gain access to the TT course up the Col d'Eze.

Is it an early arrival or would I be able to rock up about 1/2 an hour on foot before the first rider sets off.

I know the area very well as family members have a place high up overlooking Villefranche, about a 10 minute walk from the road they will race up.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Is it an early arrival or would I be able to rock up about 1/2 an hour on foot before the first rider sets off.

I don't know about access but you're missing a lot of the fun if you arrive 30mins before. I know I'm an equipment geek but up to a couple of hours before you can mingle with the riders, bikes etc. it's not the Tour de France!
  • inkyfingers
    No Valverde apparently (reducing his racing days to peak for the Tour according to Cylingnews).

Guess that leaves Westra, De Gendt and maybe Porte as favourites? Bit thin for such a big race.
  • EDIT

I really hope Porte's riding it.

Tony Martin's confirmed. Talansky, Van Garderen, Gesink, Quintana, Costa, Roche, Kreuziger and Voeckler, also lined up. Still be interesting what that lot.