ebay chancer?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited February 2013 in The hub
I sold something on ebay about 3 weeks ago. the guy waited 9 days before telling me it hadn't arrived. i chased it up with royal mail but as i only sent it 2nd class they can't track it (my fault i know).

my issue is, that when i explained that i was going to try and claim compenastion from royal mail and not just give his cash back he became rather evasive. i asked for his phone number and email address so i could put it on the form as they'd want to speak to him about the missing parcel. he begrudgingly gave it, but in the same message said that he 'may' have recieved the item, but was unsure as he's bought a lot of the same thing and he'd get back to me.

that was nearly a week ago and i haven't heard from him and looking at his history he hasn't bought anything remotely similar to what i sold him.

do you think he was just a chancer trying it on to get his cash back and the item as i didn't send it recorded delivery? should i just forget it? report it?

Comments

• Chancer.. Forget it until he replies!
  • Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    There's loads out there that will try anything, just sold something on ebay last week, the guy waited until the last second to bid but took till today to pay after I'd told him the item would be relisted if he didn't make contact or pay, less than five minute later he'd paid and sent me a message saying he wanted the item sending the cheapest possible because he'd had problems with carriers? Postage quoted is only £3 but its going recorded as does everything I post just for my peace of mind.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ignore him until he opens a case, if he ever does.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • In a nutshell yes does sound like he was trying it on. As others have said I would do nothing and wait for him to make the next move, but sounds unlikely given his response of "may have received the item"
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Tell him that you know where he lives, although if you've not heard back off him then id suspect you never will.

Sounds like hes just some kid/delinquent that it tight for a few quid, thinks hes found a way to play the system but when youve called his bluff somewhat hes got a bit squeaky bum about it not knowing if the post police will end up coming for him
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yep, it's been 10 days now and no response from the guy so i'm guessing i'll not hear back from him. idiot!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I sold a mug once, buyer complained that it arrived broken, said if he sent a pic I'd refund the money - have a guess if I got a picture......

There will always be rip off chancers, RM will refund your (the sender) the value, so if someone is serious on non arrival, then you make the complaint to RM, who confirm with the planned recipient, you get your money and refund theirs....clearly he didn't want to commit fraud with RM as well as you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.