Buget tyres

Brad123
Brad123 Posts: 86
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
I'm after some tyres to replace the one that came the bike Triban 3. I don't trust them at all in damp whether. Slip and slide all over. I would love to get GP4 all season but cant afford them.
What else is out their? That is cheep
GT Avalanche for xc fun
Btwin Triban 3

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    There are offers on the GP4000s's at the moment - make them slightly cheaper than the 4 season ...
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    How much do you want to spend / can afford? Having some sort of reference point would help get you some recommendations.
  • Sorry should have said about £15 a tyre.
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    At around the price range I'd probably be looking at hte Michelin Pro 3 Race tyres that are on offer at Wiggle or PlanetX (at ~£18 each). Other include the Continental Ultra Race tyres (although definitely avoid the Ultra Sports as they are horrid). Alternatively I think there are some offers on the Bontreger R2/R3s at around that price point.

There seems to be a lot of different Vittoria products around that price as well but I don't know which ones are any good though.
  • I bought a continental ultra sport from Halfords for my back wheel on Sunday - £16.99. They seem to get good reviews:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242553

cos272-1.jpg
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    If you can push your budget up a bit you can get Continental Grand Prix 24mm tyres for under £20 each. Great all-round tyre used by loads of pros for training and some UK teams for racing.
  • ive ran all winter on shwalbe luganos that came with my bike. Seem decent enough, grip has been fine. Can pick up a pair for 20 quid.
  • You mention the issue is "trust" with the current tyres, so I'd guess they aren't worn out? Whilst I appreciate your budget was £30, for double the price you can get 2 x Conti GP 4000s and 5 tubes. Maybe save for another month and get something you want rather than a make do? Just throwing it out there, appreciate sometimes the budget is the budget.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gra ... es-bundle/
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    the stock tyres that came on my tdf were slippy in the dry and horrible. Changed to conti ultrasports which are fine
  • Thank all. I know it will come down to what people like. Just had a baby (not me but the wife) so money is tight. Just want to see what is good out their. If it is in my price range might have a change of get it. ( the wife thinks I spent far to much money on bike stuff. and the tyres on the bike or not worn out.)
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Vittoria zaffiro pro. Rode all winter on those. About 8quid a tyre. Ditto schwalbe lugano. Good cheap tyres.

Pro 3 and some of the contis are nice tyres, but maybe not ideal, unless racing. The do tend to cut up quickly
    jc
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    save a little and get a lot more. I had ultra sports on my original wheels and replaced them with Gp4000s. best move i ever made. the new tyre has more grip and better feedback. i can be more confident on it and its as puncture proof, and hard wearing. save some more money and get better tyres if you can. it makes so much more sense.
  • bike 24 sell conti GP's for 15 euro each which is a bargain postage is about £3 i think and i have bought a few sets now and love them

best price iv even seen folding GP's for
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • +1 for the vittoria's

Also get the red ones to match the bike:)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    bike 24 sell conti GP's for 15 euro each which is a bargain postage is about £3 i think and i have bought a few sets now and love them

Not the GP4000s though.

I've bought some of these for bike builds to sell on as they look the part but a big difference in feel to the GP4000s
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Currently running Schwalbe Blizzard Sport tyres that were under a tenner each. Vittoria Rubino (wired) a better tyre than Zaffiro and can be found cheaply and available in 25 and 28 as well as 23mm. Parker International have the Michelin Lithion 2 for £12.75, a very good tyre for that money IMHO.

Coloured tyres are not as grippy as plain black.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    nochekmate wrote:
    bike 24 sell conti GP's for 15 euro each which is a bargain postage is about £3 i think and i have bought a few sets now and love them

Not the GP4000s though.

I've bought some of these for bike builds to sell on as they look the part but a big difference in feel to the GP4000s
    Great tyres though, especially at that price.