how many shorts / tops per week?

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
Those who commute 30 or more miles a day and presumably get sweaty, how many changes of base layers do you own and use per week? My missus is moaning that I spend too much on my cycling clothes. It ain't top end branded, but it does quickly add up.

Comments

• aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    I don't cycle every day but I can get away with wearing one base layer on the way in and then drying this on the radiator for the commute home. Yeah it pongs a bit but it goes into the washer that night. Socks I will wear a few times. With shorts I would a bit stricter and only wear these once.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Cycling 40min each way.
    I use: one jersey and one pair of tights. Wash every Sat morning, that's it.

I own a maybe 3 jerseys but tend to wear always same one.
    I own 5 pair of tights, use according to the climate, but 3 of them are almost never used.
  • My commute is 32 miles (16 each way) and I use fresh shorts and baselayer each day. As for socks, tights, jerseys etc it depends if it's been raining, if it hasn't then tights will do several days and socks probably 2 days per pair.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Fresh jersey & shorts each day. Jackets etc just get washed when they need it.

The exception is merino wool base layers, they can go several commutes without ponging so I just wash them as they need it, normally at the weekend. So after 3 return commutes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    To those using tights multiple times, are you going commando?
  • I use same tights for a few days running. Don't go commando, bits 'N' bobs will get squashed. Unlike many cyclists, I don't use cycling shorts under tights. In fact I never use anything with padding at all. I use M & S sports undies, tights and a Turbo or Rolls saddle on the bike.

Use a fleeced long sleeve jersey all week and under that a normal short or long sleeve jersey which is changed on a daily basis. Have a couple of base layers but never seem to bother unless it is really cold. Seem to cook in them. Socks are changed daily but I just commute in my normal socks and wear them for work.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I wear a fresh pair of bib shorts every day (commando) and sometimes give base layers (merino) a couple of days if I haven't gotten too sweaty. I have plenty of both but could get by with 3 x shorts and 3 x baselayers with a wash mid-week and one at the weekend.
  • clean kit every ride - without fail.... it pongs too much if I don't...
  • ptlk66
    ptlk66 Posts: 52
    vitesse169 wrote:
    clean kit every ride - without fail.... it pongs too much if I don't...

+1 ;

17 miles each way, have 2 of everything, wash socks, bibs, baselayers each night and rotate, the only items I don't wash after each use is the jacket, buff and gloves (weekly wash) though I still have two of all these items as well.

Try this method and your wife will start complaining about the high usage being put on the washing machine and the amount of washing detergent being used :mrgreen:
  • Interesting, thank you. Looks like I'm vindicated in buying another pair of shorts and tights and one more top. But expect the wife to moan about the amount of washing. She doesn't see the saving in fuel, aAnd she gets jealous that I feel so fucking great when I get home.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Unless it's been a really mucky ride the kit goes in on a rinse & spin - keeps it fresh for the next day.
    It dries quickly anyway - so no reason not to do it ...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Shorts, base, socks, scull cap, buff = wash each night. Top and longs wash twice a week.
  • fatsmoker wrote:
    Interesting, thank you. Looks like I'm vindicated in buying another pair of shorts and tights and one more top. But expect the wife to moan about the amount of washing. She doesn't see the saving in fuel, aAnd she gets jealous that I feel so ******* great when I get home.

I get around this by being the house laundryist/ironist...
  • 30 mile round commute for me.

Fresh kit every day without fail.

Own 3 pairs of bib tights that are on rotation, 5 Under Armor base layers (from playing golf).

Once the summer arrives (cannot come soon enough) I have two pairs of bib shorts on two jerseys so need to get some more of these.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Fresh Bibs Longs/Shorts everyday, fresh baselayer everday, Normally Bib longs in the morning and then shorts and warmers if its a bit chilly on the way home.

I have way to much cycling kit. but I still tend to do a wash on a wednesday. Jerseys fresh one every day, 2 in the summer.

Jackets, go in the wash once a week depending on the weather (I have 3).

Gloves get changed every couple of rides
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • A 30 mile commute is going to save quite a bit of fuel money each week. I have a spreadsheet which calculates total fuel saving (plus parking/tyres/servicing etc.) against kit cost. I have every piece of kit I've ever bought on it all totalled up, it's scary! This justifies spending to myself and allows me to feel smug. It also acts as my mileage tracker. In addition, as I used to do other activities to stay active, I credit myself with £34 pcm 'hobby' costs. All in I can see (and so could the missus if necessary) how much I saved or otherwise.

P.S. Put your kit on a 30 minute quick wash yourself when you get home, hang it up and it's usually ready to go in the morning. A spare set of kit is not excessive, you don't only have one set of work clothes, socks and underwear do you?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282
    Pep wrote:
    Cycling 40min each way.
    I use: one jersey and one pair of tights. Wash every Sat morning, that's it.

I own a maybe 3 jerseys but tend to wear always same one.
    I own 5 pair of tights, use according to the climate, but 3 of them are almost never used.

That sounds pretty disgusting...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • LOL, I'm actually pretty similar. I have two base layers (well, i do have more but only ever wear those two) and one pair of tights, all merino. I only wear the tights if my phone tells me it's 4 degrees C or below. I also have a a gore phantom jacket thingy which I'm wearing every day at the moment.

Sorry to say that I actually wear the same kit every day, Mon-Fri and wash it (most!) weekends.

I got my girlfriend to smell my tights the other day (yes, really) and even she had to admit that they were not in any way odorous. That said, I only do 13-14 miles a day, about 25-30 minutes each way.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • "I got my girlfriend to smell my tights the other day (yes, really)"

How you get your kicks of of no concern to others. :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    One pair of shorts and top and 12 cans of deodorant :roll: :lol: :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I'm in the one pair of shorts and one top camp and I wash it every night for my 35-mile RT
    I'd much rather have one pair of Assos shorts that I wash daily than several cheaper pairs.

My summer shorts are Assos and are now nearly 3 years old and probably have 8000 miles on them. They aren't quite as black but still in amazing nick.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    My commute is 40min each way.
    I wear underwear, and I wash my cycling gear every Saturday.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    base layers + shorts are fresh every ride.
    Long sleeve tops last 2-3 days
    tights will be used for a week.
    commute is 35-40 mins each and i do get sweaty.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Switch my padded shorts out everyday, keep the baggies or 3/4s probably all week.
    Tights get washed every couple of days in winter (I don't wear them in summer)

Change my t-shirt (which is sometimes long sleeved) when I feel it's got sweaty. Usually everyday in summer, in winter it depends on how much effort I put in!

Fresh socks daily, one pair for cycling one pair for work and the evenings.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • nehal
    nehal Posts: 18
    I have a total of three pairs of padded shorts, three baselayers and two jerseys (I want to get another). I wear a fresh set each day.

I am not sure how the washing regime in your house works but we have stuff going into the washing machine each day. I have found that having three things takes into account the delay of it being washed and dried. Two sets tends to require good timing whereas with three if there is some sort of hiccup in the washing things should be okay.

I dry my stuff throughout the day in a store cupboard on arrival.
  • Wow. 40 minute commute (7.5 miles) each way each day, every day. I change Tshirt daily, socks daily. Shorts I tend to wear for 3-4 days as it's a hassle to change them.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Only 5.5 miles each way but I wear the padded tights commando all week, other than that I wear my work clothes with a Goretex jacket. I don't tend to sweat and they don't smell, I never considered that that might be disgusting.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    vitesse169 wrote:
    clean kit every ride - without fail....

1h10m each way on mine. Fresh kit daily, whether that's washed or alternate. Anything else is just grim, and judging by some of the smelly commuters that I encounter, there's a lot of 'anything else' out there, or they just need to go on embarrassing bodies.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I'm one of the lucky people that doesn't really sweat, so happily wear the same pair of tights or jersey for 3 or 4 consecutive days. As I normally commute 3 or 4 days per week that normally means one set of clothing for one week. The commute is 20km each way.

If you are someone that sweats a lot I can understand daily changes.
  • CStar
    CStar Posts: 63
    base layers + shorts are fresh every ride.
    Long sleeve tops last 2-3 days
    tights will be used for a week.
    commute is 35-40 mins each and i do get sweaty.

Ditto here. Buff and skull cap and tights get washed each weekend.
    Decathlon sports briefs on underneath clean every day.
    MTB: Self-built Santa Cruz Highball Alloy 10 Spd Deore.
    Winter: Emmelle 1980's Reynolds Steel retro
    Summer: Specialized Secteur Elite w. upgrades.
    Commuter: Fausto Coppi San Remo