Brechfa - Mon 18th Feb 2013

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited February 2013 in MTB rides
Hi all,

am planning to ride in Brechfa forest on the 18th. Will be my first time there, so probably be a quick lap of the Derwen green and blue trails to start with. Maybe a section or two of Gorlech if time allows. If anyone wants to join me I can be fairly flexible on time of day, but would tend towards mid-morning start with packed lunch if left to my own devices.

Let me know if you want to arrange to meet up - Anyone welcome, but probably suit beginners-intermediates more than seasoned chargers.

Jim

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Hi all,

am planning to ride in Brechfa forest on the 18th. Will be my first time there, so probably be a quick lap of the Derwen green and blue trails to start with. Maybe a section or two of Gorlech if time allows. If anyone wants to join me I can be fairly flexible on time of day, but would tend towards mid-morning start with packed lunch if left to my own devices.

Let me know if you want to arrange to meet up - Anyone welcome, but probably suit beginners-intermediates more than seasoned chargers.

Jim

just so you know mate, the gorlech is a pretty tough trail in places. not meaning to patronise you, but be careful if riding it on your own :D
  • jimothy78
    Thanks for the heads up, kev - no offence taken. So is it significantly gnarllier than, say, The Wall or Twrch (the only two reds I've had a look at)?
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    The Gorlech is a very different type of trail to The Wall or Twrch - it's more like a massive BMX track for mountain bikes (as opposed to being kind-of natural like other trail centre stuff). Some of the descents and berms are very big - all totally rideable, but I know it scared the cr@p out of me the first time I rode it as a newbie MTBer!!

It's not so much rocky and technical but just BIG.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • jimothy78
    Interesting, thanks for the reply. Doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, but might just have to go and have a sneaky peak for myself.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Yeah, it's worth a look, just take it easy and don't go belting around corners until you know what's the other side (because it might be a bloody big berm!) :D

ETA - I first rode it about 3/4 years ago and swore blind that I hated it and wouldn't ride it again. Rode there last year and loved it, so don't let me put you off!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    it's definately worth a look mate, it's a great trail. it just has some bits that sneak up on you :lol:
  • It's one of my favourite trails, its so much fun on the decents its just a huge giggle.
  • jimothy78
    Quick update/report:

Had fantastic time at Brechfa - great weather and the trail essentially to myself.
    Didn't go on to Gorlech, but had great fun at Derwen - enjoyed the blue loop so much I did it twice before going on to finish the second half of green. Was pleasantly surprised at the amount of faster, flowy sections, some nice linked turns, etc. Also was quite surprised to see how much climbing was involved, although I managed it all in the middle ring, and was quite a bit faster than the suggested times (approx 1hr 40mins for green plus two laps of blue). Certainly not what I was expecting from a green/blue route, and I'll definitely pop back next time I'm in the area with bike.