Longevity

Phil_Gray_65
Phil_Gray_65 Posts: 2
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
Hi

My regular commute adds up to about 14 miles a day - 9 miles on canal towpaths (TPT to Chestefield), 5 miles on main and B roads (A638 to Ossett). Oh, and I start each journey with a fast descent (the outward one with a lovely right hander at the bottom of an s-bend, the return one with three sets of lights) and I'm a 'cautious' rider... so I use my brakes...

I reckon, given my innate laziness, and desire to avoid high winds and icy conditions, I ride about 1900 miles a year.

My question is borne out of general ignorance - how long should the various parts of my bike (a 24 speed Carrera Crossfire 2 that's about 2 years old)- chain/ wheels (cones?) bottom bracket/ tyres/ cranks/ cables/ brake blocks etc. last given that sort of use - i.e. at what frequency should I expect to be replacing them?

Cheers

Phil.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Chain 2-3 years
    BB 3-4
    Cranks 4-5
    Tyres, depends on brand, treads and rubber compound.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I get 3-4k out of tyres, brake cartridges about the same (live in Norfolk - country commute and no hills :-) )
    Haven't worn out a set of wheels yet, they are on 12k. Got 9k out of a cassette rotating 3 chains. Hoping to get 18k out of the chain rings. BB - shimano press fit on the nice bike - 12k and still going strong. On winter bike I got through 2 tiagra ht2 in under 2k miles for the pair, got 7k miles and still going on the current ultegra one though. Cables I change when they look ropey - 18 months on winter bike, good bike has internal routing so they are still going strong after 2 years.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Chain 2-3 years
    BB 3-4
    Cranks 4-5
    Tyres, depends on brand, treads and rubber compound.
    3-4 years for a BB and 4-5 for a crank?

Cranks and bottom brackets can last as long as the bike if you are lucky. The ones in my commuter are 17 years old and still going strong. The middle ring on my setup wore to where it could not grip a chainproperly after about 12 years - I then rode pretty much on the big ring alone for the next 4! :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    My experience, but I'm lazy like the OP and don't clean it enough and probably keep chains on too long, accelerating crank and cassette wear. Maybe I should invest in a ceramic BB if they aren't lasting.

Never thought of rotating the chain. Sound like a good idea is it:

New Chain, change direction, turn over, change direction, new chain? Other than stretch how would you know or would you just go on mileage?

Plus it's a 8 speed so good components are getting harder to source as the industry has shifted everyone to 9-11 speed systems so with a 7 or 8 you get stuck with lower end bits.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • When I buy a new cassette I buy 3 chains at the same time. Ride with the first for 500 miles then put on the second for the next 500 etc. After a while I just use the least worn chain each time.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also depends on the quality of the bike. The Crossfire is a budget bike, and will have parts that might not last as long as other bikes.

The hubs can be easily serviced, this will prolong the life.

Try and clean road salt off the bike.