New to air forks help!

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so I have a pair of Tora solo air forks and gave them their first proper run out at the weekend. They were bought second hand and I was told they had very little use which I don't doubt at all.

I set up the sag before going (about 190psi as I am close to 95k at the mo) and had already had a little play on some local trails to try and get the preload right but it all seemed to change when doing the forest trails. at the start of the sections they felt good but as the drops increased and trails got faster I found that the forks were dipping to about halfway and not rising back until I had finished the run.

Is this a rebound or compression setting or should I be putting more air in the fork? It feels quite stiff already and I didn't want to make it too firm as the sag is about 20-25% at its current setting.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like too much rebound.

Packing down.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cheers Nick,

so does that mean I turn it more towards the hare or the tortoise?
  • thanks for that will have a mess around at the weekend.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Find a short section of trail that you can ride repeatedly. Ride it without changing any setting then alter the rebound one click to Hare, ride section again. keep on doing this till you find a setting that feels to fast and harsh then go back a click. Its always best to do changes in increments and keep a note of what you have changed so you can go back if it makes things worse.

Theres a set of steps off a railway bridge near me that I use to set up my suspension if I can roll down them and get to the bottom without touching the brakes I know things are just about right. If I get to the bottom underneath the bike I know I need to adjust something :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    Find a short section of trail that you can ride repeatedly. Ride it without changing any setting then alter the rebound one click to Hare, ride section again. keep on doing this till you find a setting that feels to fast and harsh then go back a click. Its always best to do changes in increments and keep a note of what you have changed so you can go back if it makes things worse.

Theres a set of steps off a railway bridge near me that I use to set up my suspension if I can roll down them and get to the bottom without touching the brakes I know things are just about right. If I get to the bottom underneath the bike I know I need to adjust something :lol:

Yeh, sounds like the nut behind the handle bars need locking up!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20