http://www.transcontinentalrace.com/

dakkar
dakkar Posts: 64
Anybody up for this?

I was at the Manchester bike and Tri show today and was fortunate enough to have a chat with Mike Hall. He is one of the organisers or this one stage event from London to Istanbul. It seems like a European equivalent of RAAM but cheaper. Seems like it will be an awesome event.

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Looks brilliant, but a bit too much for me.

200km/day for 16 days!
    exercise.png
  • dakkar wrote:
    Anybody up for this?

I was at the Manchester bike and Tri show today and was fortunate enough to have a chat with Mike Hall. He is one of the organisers or this one stage event from London to Istanbul. It seems like a European equivalent of RAAM but cheaper. Seems like it will be an awesome event.

Is this an annual event or just for 2013? I mentioned this to a couple of friends and we'd love to do it, but couldn't commit until next year.

Also do you know what the cost is? I couldn't find it on the website.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I'd heard £99 from somewhere - whether that was deposit or the full package who knows. I think every rider will have a Spot tracker and that's about it.

I'd guess that the height gains in the Alps would probably mean it will take 8 days I guess?

Sounds brilliant - not for me this time though.
  • dakkar
    8 days!
    that would be amazing i would struggle to do it in 12 days Mike Hall was unsure about the future of this event. He said it may run again it depends on how the first one goes
  • marcusjb
    If I have the format of the race correct (no support, solo rider carrying everything needed), that'd be my rough guess for it. I don't think I am wildly out, as I can see how that would work, might even be quicker than that.

RAAM has been done in just over 8 days - sure, that's supported, but a heck of a lot further.

I'm far from fast and I plan to ride just under 900 miles in 4 days later this year (LEL). Again, this is semi-supported in that I don't have to worry about food and sleep - just turn up at a control point and someone will feed me and give me a bed if needed.

But the right person with decent route planning, I'd have said 8 days is very possible.
  • dakkar
    2000 miles in 8 days is an amazing achievement especially considering the Alps as well.I would like to have agobutthink i would be better prepared next year
    registration is now open.
  • marcusjb
    It's just my guess, I might be totally out.

Without doing any massive research on a route (though I know it has to go over the Alps), call it 3500km - I could see myself riding that in 11-12 days if motivated to do so (300km a day). Way more than I have ridden before, but certainly not inconceivable at that sort of pace.

And the speedy riders should be significantly faster than me!

Anyway - time shall tell. It all sounds really good and I hope he gets a good number signing up. I'd love to be able to think about doing something like this one day. But not this year - LEL has been a long-term goal so no going back now.