New Jacket Opinions

SteveEB
SteveEB Posts: 21
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
My dear old mum gave me some money at Christmas for a new jacket to replace my worn out Halfords 'waterproof' one. She's given me £40 but I can put 10 or maybe 20 more to it if necessary.

I've decided I'd rather get a windproof rather than waterproof this time because I hate the boil-in-the-bag feeling of the waterproof. I've narrowed it down to either the Endura Windchill at £49.99 or the Endura FS260 at £59.99 both at Evans. Although I haven't tried the windchill on though as they haven't got any stock in so will need to order it in. Anybody got any experience of these jackets or other recommendations of jackets around the same price?

In fact, do you even think that it's the right time of year to be buying these type of jackets? Maybe I should have bought one in the autumn. I usually just wear a merino base layer underneath a jacket when it's cold and just the base layer when it's warmer as I run pretty hot. Another option might be to use the money to get a completely waterproof jakapak type of thing to keep in my pannier bag in case it throws it down and have a rethink about jackets in the autumn.

What do you reckon?

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Good shout on avoiding waterproofs. Even the very expensive ones will cook you if you put any effort in.

Obviously we're the other side of Autumn/Winter but a good time to buy in the sense that you're likely to get a better deal and I reckon there will still be plenty of chilly days between now and summer (which will probably last about a week anyway :wink: ).

I really like Mavic stuff and their Espoir jacket (windproof and showerproof) is within your budget. In fact well within if you find one on sale like this:

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... CMAV0271RR

I have the thermo version for really cold weather and it's excellent.
  • Yes - good shout on the Windproof. And, agree, that the sales are your friend. You'll be able to buy something much better for your budget. Having been badly let down by Endura kit on several occasions, I'm not a fan. If you can get Mavic, then that's nice stuff or, with some careful hunting about, Gore.

I was using my windproof right up until May last year (spring comes late to the Highlands) - its probably the most versatile bit of cycling kit I own
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    I would recommend the windchill. Great jacket for the price. I used to use mine all winter until I could get away with a jersey. I got the waterproof stealth but found it far too hot unless in freezing conditions. Sportful also have a good range and some good deals can be found if you shop around.
  • Thanks for the answers so far.

Godders1, the Mavic looks good in the pic. It looks like shiny material though. Is it breathable?

eyebee, how do you find the sizing on the windchill? I haven't tried one on but I usually try and fit into a medium but sometimes have to go for a large. For instance, with the FS260 I would need a large as the medium was a bit short on the front.
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    SteveEB wrote:
    Thanks for the answers so far.

Godders1, the Mavic looks good in the pic. It looks like shiny material though. Is it breathable?

eyebee, how do you find the sizing on the windchill? I haven't tried one on but I usually try and fit into a medium but sometimes have to go for a large. For instance, with the FS260 I would need a large as the medium was a bit short on the front.

I usually wear medium and in the windchill found there was plenty of room.Length was no problem for me.
  • Youcould wait til Aldi have another stock come in. Their jackets aren't bad at all for 20 quid.
  • Well... I've ordered the Windchill. Will let you know what I think of it when it arrives.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    Sounds like you've gone for a sensible choice of cross windproof and warmth. I picked up a fantastic Campag Gironde 50/50 jacket from CRC a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with it.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • Well the name windchill has certainly been appropriate since I bought the jacket! It's been colder than when it showing I reckon. The first couple of days I wore the jacket I really thought I'd made a mistake as I was freezing but I think it was just bad timing really. I definitely haven't been sweaty in this jacket so far but that may be down to the weather too. Hopefully it'll be good coming into spring too with a thinner base layer. Luckily it's not rained yet so I haven't had an opportunity to see how it'll handle that.
    It seems pretty well made but is probably a tiny bit on the tight side really. I need to get used to the tighter feel. It's especially difficult to pull on and off the arms too.
    Thanks for all the input from those who commented.
    Steve.