Chainring compatibility-double rings on a triple crank

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got an m660 SLX crankset, currently set up as a 2x9 double. I'll be changing to a 2x10 setup at some point in the near future. I've got all the bits I need apart from chainrings, obviously it's cheaper to get rings then a replacement slx crank set.

When I do change, can I use 10 speed chainrings intended for one of the shimano doubles? Is there any issue with putting double rings on a triple crank, or is it just a case of getting anything with the same BCD and the right number of speeds.

Would fitting a bash ring make any difference?

Cheers
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nominally 9 and 10 are different, in reality no-one has ever been able to really define what they are, many people are running 10 speed rear with 9 front (cranks and/or rings) without issue. Yes you can fit double rings to a treble, either with a bash or without, you just need the right ring bolts for the assembled thickness.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    Cheers, just wanted to check there wasn't anything odd about them.

Yeah, I'm currently running an 8 speed chainrings and a 10 speed front mech with no issues. Just hope I can find some rings that aren't extortionate!
    MTB/CX

• The Rookie
    What sizes are you planning? I have an Shimano SG-X 28T inner surplus to requirements...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    As above, in reality they're similar enough that there's no difference, I'd just keep what you have unless you want drastically different ratios.
  • bails87
    Currently on 24/38 which I'm happy to stick with. I doubt the inner is very worn and the middle/outer is steel so that'll last forever, it was the '10 speed chain on an 8 speed ring' that was making me think I'd have to get a new ring. If it'll work then I'll happily leave it.
    MTB/CX

• The Rookie
    It'll work fine, leave it!