Your Parents Music..

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited February 2013 in The bottom bracket
Did any of of it sneak into your subcosh, subcons, head and you now find yourself seeing it a different light.

My mum used to play Neil Diamond and at the time I could stand him - but listening to him now he's a brilliant songwriter:

eg Shilo
Young child with dreams
Dream every dream on your own.
When children play
seems like you end up alone -
Papa says he'd love to be with you
If he had the time
So you turn on the only friend you can find
There in your mind

Shilo, when I was young
I used to call you name
When no one else would come
Shilo, you always came
And we'd play
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    Many moons ago i took my mom to the NEC to see Neil Diamond because my dad flatly refused to go, and i have to admit he did put on a good performance.
    Fortunately my moms taste in music got me into The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks, Buddy Holly and classical guitar.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    From my mum and dad's musical collection.....

Robert Johnson
    Muddy Waters
    Howlin' Wolf
    Woody Guthrie
    Pete Seeger
    Frank Sinatra
    Elvis Presley
    Chuck Berry
    Little Richard
    Gene Vincent
    Eddie Cochran
    Buddy Holly
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    The Kinks
    Motown, Atlantic and Trojan records

Set me up for life I reckon
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    esp The Kinks.

innit
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    My dad loved the kinks, moody blues and queen.
    Although I didnt like it as a kid, I love them all now and have done since adulthood. Very odd and something me and the wife have often talked about.
    Living MY dream.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    From my parents:

Jazz (esp Brubeck)
    Disco
    Funk
    Steely Dan
    Blue Mink
    Boz Scaggs
    Ricky Lee Jones (Tommy's sister)
    Beatles
    Stones
    Elvis
    Crooners
    Beach Boys
    Stevie Wonder

My Dad's one of the only musicians I know who doesn't play anything. Sounds odd, but his 'musicality' is pressty awesome.

I do play (firstly cello now bass) and he has had more of an influence than I thought.....
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    In a minute, someone is going to say Blur or Oasis just to make us all feel old...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mum:
    Wilson Phillips
    Mike and the Mechanics.

Dad likes Enya.....

I like hip hop...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Dexys Midnight Runners

I used to listen to it ironically
    Now I listen to it sonically
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ANDY F wrote:
    Many moons ago i took my mom to the NEC to see Neil Diamond because my dad flatly refused to go, and i have to admit he did put on a good performance.
    I have visions of your Dad refusing to go so theatrically and dramatically that you still remember it all these years later...
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    bompington wrote:
    ANDY F wrote:
    I have visions of your Dad refusing to go so theatrically and dramatically that you still remember it all these years later...
    My old man has no interest in music at all, when my parents moved from their first flat to their first home he had a clean out and dumped my mothers record collection which included every original release of Buddy Holly.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • I thank my dad for The Smiths.

And cycling actually
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I'm afraid I picked up no musical influence from my parents, bad tv ruled the house. So I developed my own tastes listening to the radio (peel sessions etc) and watching TV shows like The Tube, early MTV. So early music tastes were a mixed bag like Kate Bush, Ska (influenced by my cousin), Billy Bragg, Joy Division (thanks to hearing a song on the radio), The Smiths (from my older brother) etc .

My children in turn are completely ignoring my musical tastes and have what I would call main stream tastes and my wife's taste for music from musicals etc
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I was born in '61 and therefore a teenager in the 70s. I was interested only in rock music and used to exclude almost everything else as "shite". As I have matured, hopefully in temperament as well as years, I have come to appreciate music of more varied genres. I can appreciate something in its own right, not just because it is by a favourite band. From Mozart to Motorhead and most things in between. I have the utmost respect for anyone who can perform live.
    (I still exclude most of todays music though as being utter shite.)

Keep the Faith! Radio 2.
  • Bowie
    Stones
    Beatles
    Kinks
    Beach Boys
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Jose Feliciano
    Status Quo(!)
    Dr Hook
    Cream
    Roxy Music

My mum and dad had a big display box of tapes that i used to scavenge from and copy. A lot of their music they liked used to crop up on radio 1 request show on a Sunday night with Annie Nightingale, formative years definitely.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I wouldn't say my parents had a massive influence on my love of music. I worked my way through their entire record collection and the only thing that I found that I liked was Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy by The Who.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    johnfinch wrote:
    I wouldn't say my parents had a massive influence on my love of music. I worked my way through their entire record collection and the only thing that I found that I liked was Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy by The Who.

Oh there you are Finchy. You are a plonker.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • A sixties rocker played in town the other night - he needs to change his name to Neil Old :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    As my old dear's favourite ever record is Tie A Yellow Ribbon, I'd say no. Pa was and is more inclined to Jim Reeves than Zeppelin so that's a no too.

He's a year out from me but Ballysmate's reply above could have been mine. I learnt more from Alan Freeman splicing up Dylan, the Stones, Sandy Denny, The Who etc with a bit of Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler and what-have-you. Top bloke, Fluff.
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Now I'm in my 30's I find myself having gravitated over to BBC Radio 2. Love it. Chris Evans in the morning, Ken Bruce (But he tries too hard to sound like Sir Terry) Jermey Vine with his controversy in the afternoon, then Steve Wright! What a way to spend the day! But as for music my parents listened to, it has been very wide ranging:

Queen
    Pink Floyd
    ELO
    Deep Purple
    David Bowie
    Chris Rea
    Pet Shop Boys
    George Michael
    Runrig (Can't beat a bit of Donnie Munro!)
    Rolling Stones
    The Beatles....

Just to name a few... Got to love the diversity of music in the list below :)
    It's been a while...