Kuota Kharma Race + Clinchers ## UPDATED ##

bails1310
bails1310 Posts: 361
edited February 2014 in Your road bikes
8478014091_98c11f5e63_z_d.jpg
8478009611_73ac1c124f_z_d.jpg
8478011043_c7200f35e8_z_d.jpg

Got the frame from a claim after a broken Focus Cayo 2011 became RIP late October 2012.

Took what bits I could off the old bike [Mainly Shimano 105 & some FSA] and had probably 2 rides with it last year, and has been in the garage ever since.

A new winter commuter bike took over the old wheels so decided on some FE clinchers which were built by LBS with HopePro3. s/s spokes and red brass nipples. Rims and hubs came in at 1300g, not sure what evtra the spoke and nipples have added, total 1600g?

Total weight is currently 7.8kg on digital bathoroom scales.

Possible upgrades, probably bars - they came off a 58cm Cayo and think there a bit big for me, as the frame was. Tyres I know aren't great. its all I had to get the photos on, will get something sorted before she goes out.

Spacers are is WIP, hope to take some out before I decide to cut or not.

Any recomednations or changes would be welcome.
Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Sweet as. Perhaps a red saddle would set it off nicely (match bar tape)?

What are the rims FE?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I like that,nice flowing lines.

Simplicity at it's very best.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Sweet as. Perhaps a red saddle would set it off nicely (match bar tape)?

What are the rims FE?

They are yes, bit of info on them here:
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12776517&start=440

Not ridden them as yet but visually they look great, really nice finish [matt]

I PM's quite a few of the other eBay purchasers of thier wheels & rims and all very very complimentary.

I'll report back as soon as I can get out on them.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    that's a great looking ride, have always liked the look of Kuotas.
  • Shaun67
    Shaun67 Posts: 219
    Nice...I'm developing a thing for white bikes !!!!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Oh man that's nice! I always regret clicking on these threads... :D

It would look so much better with black bar tape and the stem slammed though ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice one...
    :D
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Nice!

Its a frame that really suits deep section wheels.

I can see why you've gone for red bar tape but I think black would have been better.
  • Think I chose red tape as wanted to bring a bit of colour, but don't think there's enough red on the frame to warrant so will change to black when I get chance.

Thanks chaps.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    That's a gorgeous looking bike. It was a tough choise for me, the Wilier or the Kuota. The Wilier narrowly won but do love the look of the Kuota.
  • thats a really nice looking bike, well done on putting that together shes a beauty
    road riding beast prorace scylla with sram rival
    specialized xc for off road
  • I'm a big fan of the Kuotas. I really like the ride of mine. Your wheels add an extra touch of class!
    Nice
  • I love the chunky looks of this bike, and especially the hubs on those wheels, so cool.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    I had thought about getting some clinchers for mine, this made my mindup...the wheels are great :)

:D
  • dale699
    dale699 Posts: 2
    A friend of mine sent me a link to this forum thread, then look what happened:
    IMG_0525_zps4808180b.jpg

I went for the same 23mm wide 50mm clincher rims, from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-23mm-widt ... 3f238a147d

and got the guy from here to build them up for me: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... ade-35919/

I had the rims built up with CXray spokes and hope pro3 hubs, took them for a spin this weekend and all I can say is.......I am well impressed :-)
  • declan1
    dale699 wrote:
    A friend of mine sent me a link to this forum thread, then look what happened:
    IMG_0525_zps4808180b.jpg

I went for the same 23mm wide 50mm clincher rims, from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-23mm-widt ... 3f238a147d

and got the guy from here to build them up for me: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... ade-35919/

I had the rims built up with CXray spokes and hope pro3 hubs, took them for a spin this weekend and all I can say is.......I am well impressed :-)

Looks amazing apart from the fact that the handlebars are above the saddle. That is not allowed.

That frame looks rather too big for you anyway - there is hardly any seatpost showing and you've got a really short stem...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• dale699
    dale699 Posts: 2
    The frame and set up are just fine thanks, all ordered through my LBS and set up using Retul bike fit. Wanted a bit of comfort as I do quite a lot of miles. Also I dont think the angle of the photo does it much justice.
    Think ill stick with it as it works for me. :-)
  • badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    looks fine to me....some folk are too quick to say whats not allowed....its a bike ffs, if the guy is comfy on it then who cares?
  • bails1310
    Just as an update, first ride with bike and wheels today, and Felt really good.

I've commuted on a Raleigh Airlite 100 since last September and feels like Im towing a Maxi in comparison so this morning was great.

I'd read reviews stating bikes can be stiff, power transfer, alive etc and its not until you get on a bike that does these things that you understand what people are saying.

Probably a combination of frame and wheels together but the hills today, rather than just making it to the top, I could feel myself kick on and actually accelerate through to the top and over.

Most here are there already but for me, was a definite light bulb moment.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    stunning bike can i buy it
    going downhill slowly
  • bails1310
    Not just yet, the love affair is still very much in place, especially the noise it makes when it's under the hammer.
  • Thats a sweet looking bike....the red bar tape looks great, picks out the red flashes on the frame and with the red hubs and red QRs, I think it looks just right....

Mind you, I love white bikes :D
  • bails1310
    Bit of advise needed [not sure if this should be in road buying advice]

These bars soon to arrive in view I've dropped just over a stone since May:

9467322376_248a6e653a_z_d.jpg

Just wondered what peoples opinions would be on saddle/ bar tape and hoods options..............

White saddle, white bars, black tape, black hoods?
    White saddle, white bars, white tape black hoods?
    Black saddle, white bars, black tape, white hoods? [for some reason this is my favourite although not seen something similar to compare]

Halved the spacers since the photos and want to remove in full and cut to finish.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Massive cycling tart
  • declan1
    Black tape up to white bit on bars, black hoods and black saddle. That way each extremity of the bike would be black and balanced. Them bars would look awesome as well as the slammed stem!

Also, according to rule 93, you need to post more pics ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• bails1310
    So........postman arrived today, hopefully get them fitted tomorrow and a ride out on Sunday. Visually they look great which probably isn't picked up in the not very good phone pictures and should make things stiffer and lighter.

Currently in garage storage from prying eyes to avoid the "......where have they come from, they look expensive, haven't you already for some of those!"

I'll post some more when there fitted.

9525368032_3e8e1d2dff_z_d.jpg
    9522590249_2abb8d35ee_z_d.jpg
    9522586953_c9701cc744_z_d.jpg
    9525376842_b7e8739bca_z_d.jpg
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    was in CRC shop today looking at those very bars, they looked and felt awesome. nice choice.
  • bails1310
    Handlebars on and {I think anyway} they look great.

Very comfortable in the drops and used to suffer with pins and needles in the last 2 fingers of my left hand, this appears to have now nearly gone.

There're super stiff, especially out of the saddle but after a nasty speed wobble incident a while ago, lost some of my confidence descending as felt quite loose at the front. New bars has sorted this and the bike now feels loike I always wanted it to. They make the bike feel better than I though and would definitely recommend anyone who was thinking about it.

Any feedback/critique very welcome.

9581191761_b8c8c4fc98_z_d.jpg

9583971178_75f9c49757_z_d.jpg

9581176821_8a5e602e3d_z_d.jpg
  • declan1
    Apart from levelling the saddle I wouldn't change a thing about that. It looks amazing.

Just be careful when you're riding - make sure you're looking at the road not those bars!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• bails1310
    Cheers Declan, and you were right about the saddle.

Bike shop who put the frame together did saddle tilt and I never checked. Saddle never really felt brilliant but put it down to me not finding the right one yet.

Adjusting it is a bit fidley and have managed to get it to just under 1 degree nose up before loosing the will to live but has made a big difference to the comfort, rather silly school boy error on my half. :oops:

Cheers for the steer on black by the way, very pleased.

Another session with some sprints in the drops and is soooo stiff, feels like probably the most noticable upgrade on the bike so far. :D