Does this often happen?

Mikey41
Mikey41 Posts: 690
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Went for a ride today, plotted out a 30 miler with plenty of hills to prepare for a Sportive next week. Glorious sunshine, warm, a little windy but great riding conditions.

Loads of others out on their bikes, a couple of family groups which was good to see, a horse and cart, and 4 other horse riders were seen along the way, seems the world and his dog were taking advantage of a sunny weekend!

So, towards the end I spot two riders way off down the road and seemed to be catching them fairly quickly. I must have got to 50metres back and they (one MTB, one hybrid with a bag hanging on the bars) look over their shoulder and then speed up. Well, OK I'll just keep plodding on at my pace and see how we go. At this point the hybrid rider is pulling away from his mate, and on the next uphill, I pass the MTB while the hybrid rider is sprinting away up the hill for all he's worth.

Hmm, he'll need a rest now and sure enough I'm gaining on him again and past I go as he puts another spurt on. He's pulled onto my wheel. OK, I don't particularly want you to stay there, but now it's flat and there's a nice downhill coming up. Onto the big ring, into the drops and start to wind it up. Down the hill, through the chicane at the bottom and he's now a good 50 metres back. After the next part of the downhill I never saw him again.

Anyone else get this??
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Judging by the amount of times people ask this question YES.

Do not let it bother you. You ride your ride and let them look foolish all they want.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What? Overtaking other riders on slower bikes? Yes - happens quite often ;)

Feel proud you spurred them on to make an extra effort.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mikey41
    :lol: well that's one way to look at it. Mind you , there's a guy on an MTB around here that I have no chance of catching!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If you were feeling especially evil you could have sat about 5m in front to taunt the hybrid rider, giving him some hope. But never quite letting him catch you...
  • I had a group of teenage chavs on all sorts of full-sussers, bmx's and hybrids on cycle-path make motorbike noises when I sped past them this afternoon. Was hoping for a race but they were probably too stoned to keep up.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    It's called shooting fish in a barrel. Look for the fattest slowest rider you can and time it right to overtake them on the next hill. Watch out for some of those lads on 29'ers mind.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I've only experienced it once on the road, and he turned off before I could catch him.

Happens lots at trail centres though. Classic example is the first descent at Llandegla where groups congregate after the climb and pootle off in front of you when they see you bombing up behind them.
  • Mikey41
    It was kind of inevitable. I suppose what I should have asked was "Am I a bad person for giggling to myself about it afterwards for the next mile?" :D
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I used to pass pretty much everyone & everything at Nant-y-arian, but sensible people will just let you pass

Fighting for position is asking for an accident
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    Probably says a lot about the guy ditching his mate just to try to race you... You should have just pulled up next to his mate and had a chat and let the hybrid rider shoot off into the distance lol!
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • Mikey41
    Indeed, in the end he was making me nervous as I didn't know what he was gonna do. It was only when he sat on my wheel that I made any effort to get rid of him. I had visions of it ending up in a heap at the bottom of the hill if I hadn't.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Your not a bad person. It says far more about the other rider than you I don't think you did anything wrong at all.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • LOL