Newbie advise please.

smokey2a
smokey2a Posts: 2
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
New on here and looking for some advice.

I've been looking around and finding it all a bit of a mine field.
After a couple of operations, new knee and shoulder repair (old age) I find myself in the position of needing a different type of cycle (old ones worn out).
I fancy a Hybrid, nice and light, straight bars, reliable and with a bit of comfort. Sitting a bit more upright would be a help due to the shoulder injury.
This will be used for a short trip to work, 4 miles each way and a longer trip at the week-ends.
The aim is to improve my leg strength and speed.
I'm 6 foot tall and have a budget of £400 to £600 to play with, new or used in good condition.
Your help would be great.
Paul

Comments

• Hello Paul and welcome.
    You will quickly discover that there are a huge number of bikes that will fall into this category.
    If you are carrying injuries and have specific requirements then you are probably best off going to your local bike shop (or more than one if you are lucky) and talking through what you need. You should also be able to get them to adjust a bike around you, set it up correctly and get a test ride before you part with your money. If your bike shop does not help in this, walk away and go elsewhere. A good bike shop will also offer some back-up service and can do maintenance if you are unwilling or unable to do it.
    Oh and don't forget to factor in some cash for a waterproof jacket, a lock, lights etc. Good luck!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    In my experience, straight, MTB bars are not so shoulder-friendly. I swapped mine for On-One Mary which have a well defined rearward sweep. This undoes a lot of twist in the arms, provides a more neutral hand position and relieves stress on elbows and shoulders.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    I've just bought a Trek 7.4 FX and it might be something you want to look at. The link to the range on the Trek website is here, but don't let the word Fitness make you think it wont be comfortable or practical - these frames provide a very relaxed position. There is an equivalent Giant range called the Escape but IMO I think you get more for your money on a Trek. I was also tempted by some of the bikes from Pashley as well, have a look at their Parabike and Roadster Classic for comfort. Pretty much bombproof so wont be light but will last and last and last.
  • I bought a road bike back in the summer. I have an injured back and needed to buy wisely. Like you I had 600 max to spend. I didn't particularly look at the components on the bike I test rode as many as possible first to get the feel for the bike. I didn't end up with a bike with the best components for the price but I would argue a very good and forgiving frame and fork. So whatever bike you want test it first. I tried 4 that I liked before deciding on which one to buy.

Evans and a wide range of other shops will let you test ride bikes. I believe Specialized concept store will let you book one of their bikes out for a longer ride.