Sanchez's On One Carbon 29er Build, 2014 Update

sanchez89
sanchez89 Posts: 567
edited February 2014 in Your mountain bikes
I have embraced the future of mountain biking (apparently)!!!!!!!

After a Specialized 29er test day at Cannock a few weeks i decided i needed one of these wagon wheelers in my life!

I was loking into building a hardtail for the winter anyways, as after stripping the KHS down most of the bearings were pretty fubar'd after only 1 years worth of riding!

After the relentless search for a frame, pros & cons of materials, what looks epic, what looks pap. i stumbled across the On-One site and with it the 29er Race frame. i had looked at their Lurcher frame before and decided, mmmm carbon, nice. but it didnt float my boat looks wise. however the 29er Race with its hints of red looked top dollar, and at half price it was certainly doing it for me.

so come Monday 19th November a big cardboard box bearing the words Planet X greeted me when i got home from work.

Christmas had defo come early this year.

anyways, enough chat, more pics:

P1000721.jpg

P1000725.jpg

P1000724.jpg

P1000726.jpg

P1000727.jpg

P1000728.jpg

the last couple of pics iv just put in the fork to see how it looks. and i like it!!

spec is to be roughly as follows;

Frame: On One 29er Race
Fork: 2011 Rockshox Reba RLT Maxle 100mm
Headset: On One Smoothie Mixer
Brakes: Avid Elixir 5SL 160mm discs F/R
Handlebars: Truvativ Low Riser 685mm
Stem: Q2 80mm
Groupset: Shimano XT 2x10 (hopefully)
Pedals: Shimano M530
Wheels: Fulcrum Red Power XL29
Tyres: Hutchinson Toro
Grips: ODI Rogue??
Seatpost: something carbon?
Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatclamp: old QR from KHS

iv got the wheels on there way, from ebay, still need to order groupset and find out what sort of seatpost and grips i want to run.

will also need to order an adapter for the rear brake to run 160mm disc and a new set of bolts to mount the calipers with those stupid conical washers. who's clever idea was that?

so yeah, there we are, the build so far. Comments and critiscism's welcome as always. people with suggestions for carbon seatposts (cheap please) would also be greatly appreciated.
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:
M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks nice! Much nicer than the 456c, should look pretty sweet built up. Not exactly my cup of tea, but cool none the less.

Also, a year isn't bad bearing life if you ride regularly. I know people who have to change them every month or two.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • That is really rather nice! Whats the difference from the Lurcher?
  • That is really rather nice! Whats the difference from the Lurcher?

as far as im aware the geometry is identical, the lurcher frame is about 200grams heavier and is made in a different factory using a slightly lower quality material and production method.

the reason for the high cost of the Race frame is that the QC is alot stricter and they used high quality carbon.

thats what im led to believe anyways.
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • ry1978
    ry1978 Posts: 166
    I don't normally like 29ers but that is a beautiful frame. The decal locations and red highlights really set it off...
    Specialized Roubaix
    Cannondale F900 SL
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR120
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    mmmm nice

I have heard stories about how there isn't a lot of clearance for the chainrings especially on 2x10 so may be worth talking to Brant about which chainsets work with the frame, I think they have a list of what works best
    HTH
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Wheels arrived today. Fulcrum Red Power XL 29ers with Hutchinson Toro tubeless ready tyres. Ebay special at a wicked price. including 2 brake discs, XT 10 speed cassette, about 10 conti inner tubes and a set of tubeless valves.

Apparently the wheels were used as a training/spare set for a XC racer last season. so far i can only see a bit of dirt and a couple of slight scuffs round the valve area. pretty great deal i think.

P1000733.jpg

P1000732.jpg

just ordered a black shimano rear QR of the bay aswell as the wheels didnt come with one. and apparently shimano QR's are some of the best.
    Clank wrote:
  • little bit bored today, so after watching the rain hit the window i thought i would chuck some of the bits iv got together and make it look sort of bike shaped, rather than a parts collection.

let me know what you think!!

also still looking for a seat post. would like a carbon one but dont want to spend anymore than £40 really, cheaper the better. any suggestions? needs to be 31.6 dia.

P1000734.jpg
    Clank wrote:
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Looks cracking bud!

31.6mm seat post for less than 40 quid? Have a shufty at the exotic stuff on carboncycles.cc
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Torres wrote:
    Looks cracking bud!

31.6mm seat post for less than 40 quid? Have a shufty at the exotic stuff on carboncycles.cc

Thanks matey, i will have a butcher's see what i can find.
    Clank wrote:
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Gorgeous frame!! Wheels are 3" too big though!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Looking really nice!
    i would buy this saddle for it :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    Looking really nice!
    i would buy this saddle for it :wink:

yeaaaahhhhhhh, ill get back to you on that one. :shock:
    Clank wrote:
  • Greer_ wrote:
    Gorgeous frame!! Wheels are 3" too big though!

nah mate, wheels are the perfect size. 2012 is all about the steamroller effect
    Clank wrote:
  • Awsome ride mate nice combo of parts so far, Exotic are awesome mate the fact of carbon they use is so high grade it will compliment your build no question.
    would like to know how this turns out keep me posted please

Gary

Ps i just brought the whole XT 2013 groupset clutch version and it is awesome smooth and extremely light.
  • Awsome ride mate nice combo of parts so far, Exotic are awesome mate the fact of carbon they use is so high grade it will compliment your build no question.
    would like to know how this turns out keep me posted please

Gary

Ps i just brought the whole XT 2013 groupset clutch version and it is awesome smooth and extremely light.

Cheers buddy, i was looking into the Exotic carbon post and will probably order one of the Matrix post's when i get chance.

My rear Shimano QR has arrived today which looks very nice indeed. Just needed xmas to be over with so i can sort out the rest of the parts.

I think its the 2012 XT groupo i will be getting. but glad to know it works 'pukka' as they say.
    Clank wrote:
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    edited February 2013
    Well today is the day, it has finally been built and test ridden.

I am very pleased with the result. couple of spec changes from my initial ideas, such as the XT groupset becoming SLX and the Exotic post becoming a One23 but apart from that its how i wanted it. Got some pictures and i will put up a full spec list also.

as always comments/criticism welcome;

P1000869_zpsea7499f8.jpg

P1000870_zpsc04b5355.jpg

P1000871_zps5514df39.jpg

P1000872_zpsca8ae202.jpg

P1000873_zps846e967b.jpg

P1000874_zps53e95402.jpg

P1000876_zpsba136d91.jpg

P1000877_zpsb962e6bf.jpg

Spec's

Frame: 2012 On One 29er Race Carbon 18"
    Forks: 2011 Rockshox Reba RLT 29er Maxle
    Bars: Truvativ Stylo 685mm Low Rise
    Stem: Q2 80mm
    Headset: On One Smoothie Mixer (Taper)
    Grips: Pro Koryak
    Bar Ends: Pro Koryak

Brake Set: Avid Elixir 5SL 160mm

Shifters: Shimano SLX 2 x 10
    Cables: Shimano SP41
    Front Mech: Shimano SLX Direct Mount
    Rear Mech: Shimano SLX

Seat: Madison Flux
    Seat Post: One23 Carbon 31.6 x 400mm
    Seat Post Clamp: On One bolt up with Water Seal

Cranks: Shimano SLX
    Chainring(s): 24/36
    Chain: Shimano HG81
    Cassette: Shimano HG81 11-36
    Pedals: Shimano M530
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB91 pressfit

Front Wheel: Fulcrum Red Power XL 29er
    Tube: Continental
    Tyre: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29 x 2.25 Pacestar

Back Wheel: Fulcrum Red Power XL 29er
    Tube: Continental Shrader
    Tyre: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29 x 2.25 Pacestar

Weight: 11.3 kg
    Clank wrote:
  • I think it looks absolutely stunning! Thank you thank you thank you for building something classy but understated that doesnt have a trace of gold bling anywhere in sight. Really great job! Kudos.
  • I think it looks absolutely stunning! Thank you thank you thank you for building something classy but understated that doesnt have a trace of gold bling anywhere in sight. Really great job! Kudos.

thank you for your comment! not what i was expecting so im happy with that!

no bling needed, it speaks for itself really. a little bit stealthy but still a nice contrast with the white forks and white/red decals
    Clank wrote:
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Don't need pointless bling with that frame, looks good even if the wheels are too big
  • WindyG wrote:
    Don't need pointless bling with that frame, looks good even if the wheels are too big

cheers, its a big bike (quite long and tall) but it doesnt ride like one.
    Clank wrote:
  • VWsurfbum
    looking good!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    Looks great, always liked the On One design, looks like a nice paint job too. Nothing wrong with a bit of bling though :wink:
  • built the same frame up myself, great bike, i built it up with risers originally but swapped it to one one's fleegle pro, a lot more resonsive by lowering the front a tad, I built mine up with full Sram XX build & FRM Urano tubeless wheelset & it weighs 24lb, i swapped wheelset & tyres out straight away & i think thats the most important upgrade, it rode like a tank before that with on ones own wheels & Nevegal tyres
    388124_10150993918291650_162387078_n.jpg
    488362_10150993918681650_1655046704_n.jpg
    217956_10150993918471650_1169603106_n.jpg
    nice to see another one built up, dont they ride nice! :D
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
  • roachbiker wrote:
    built the same frame up myself, great bike, i built it up with risers originally but swapped it to one one's fleegle pro, a lot more resonsive by lowering the front a tad, I built mine up with full Sram XX build & FRM Urano tubeless wheelset & it weighs 24lb, i swapped wheelset & tyres out straight away & i think thats the most important upgrade, it rode like a tank before that with on ones own wheels & Nevegal tyres

love it!! great to see another, i only knew of Pilch's aswell so at least there are 3 of us now.

yeah my wheels arent the lightest ever made but i did try to build the bike on a budget, if i threw money at it i think i could get it well around 10-10.5kg

im yet to ride it off road but on the my little test ride over the grass outside the houses it does seem to ride really well. im hoping the good feel continues when i give it a good run out up cannock over the weekend.
    Clank wrote:
  • VWsurfbum
    why are the bars 90degrees out? or it how there designed?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • the bars have a 15 deg back sweep & a 20mm forward offset - to negate the "stem shortening" effect of the big back sweep, they are flat, very very comfortable & drop the front end to improve handling, i felt the bike was too high & cumbersome with a 29" wheel & risers.
  • Bit of an update on this thread after nearly 12 months.

Been running the bike through the sh*tty weather and its holding up pretty well. Gears needs re-indexing though as everythings a bit clunky on changes.

I decided i wanted to try single ring up front aswell as i hardly use the granny but occasionaly the 38t is just too big for my legs.

I bought a 32t Shimano SLX middle ring ages ago but upon fitting instead of the 38 i realised the mech wouldnt go down far enough to shift and the chain rubbed on the spider arms.

Hmmmm i thought, but after seeing a few posts over on MTBR and Pinkbike i turned some 2mm washers at work, picked up a bargain E13 XCX guide with the S3 SRAM fitting and dropped the ring on.

The 2mm spacers help move the ring away so the chain slots in the gap between spider arm and chainring, perfect. The chain guide fits a dream so thanks to On One for including both High and Low mounts on the frame.

Might put some pics up when i can.
    Clank wrote:
  • Competed at the Cannock Winter classic last sunday. first race on this bike, performed flawlessly as i expected.

first real test with a single front ring aswell but all was good.

here's a quick snap just while i was waiting for the result. 42 out of 81 aint bad considering no training at all and i started virtually at the back.

IMG_20140223_125025_489_zps13d7b3ee.jpg
    Clank wrote:
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Sanchez, I love your one... Apart from the Slx shifters gear window, that frame is sooo sleek :) and then there's roachbiker's...