Race Training

saprkzz
saprkzz Posts: 592
edited February 2013 in Amateur race
I have been browsing alot around threads in here and info on the BC website.

I am getting into racing this year, and maybe not as confident as others just turning up and giving it large. A little nerbous about the tactics, pace, holding line, not causing a massive pile up and maybe not ending up in hospital myself.

I saw this on one of the events coming up in the calendar, and in the notes is this:

"Info for Riders:This year’s winter series will be run in a similar format to previous years; the main emphasis behind the series is to give riders the opportunity for an early season work out and to give inexperienced riders an opportunity to increase their racing ability.
Coaching
There will be a 4 week session of rider awareness and education focussed on inexperienced 4th cat riders. Coaching will start on 19th Jan and will last for 4 weeks, riders subscribing will be automatically entered onto the 4th cat start sheet. Coaching will be take place 0900 – 0945 and will leave riders warm and ready for racing in the 4th cat race. Riders wishing to take part in the coaching can either email me at ****************@hotmail.com or sign up at the race on 12th Jan. The 4 week course will cost £50 and will include 4 race starts at no extra cost"

This seems amazing for people like me, and would give me a real intro into the racing scene. I am gutted as I hadnt seen this earlier, as its not a million miles away from me.

So my question, does anyone know of any other training like this, and events organised, as I have searched through other races and cant find anything. Located south (London - bucks - beds) area would be great.

I know some will be thinking "man up and just race" blah blah, but no need to comment like that please! :wink::wink:

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Not sure if there are any other sessions like this (and they sound like a great idea), but the best thing you can do is join a club and go out training with them. This will get you used to riding in the wheels and you can get all the advice you need. Riding with fitter riders is good training too.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Have a look at the Race Preparation Coaching Session that Prime Coaching are running at Hillingdon. Might help with some of what you're looking for.

BTW, I have no association with this - I'm just on their distribution list as Central Region coach.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'm trying to get a session organised for Darley Moor in February. Should say that it is unlikely to be on the scale of those - it'll be a fiver for one 2-5 - 3 hour session to cover the cost of the circuit and the experience of the coaches will depend on who I can pull in so in all probability it will low key and be a few drills copied from youth sessions. Last one we did got good feedback though . If anyone is interested I'll put a post on here if I can get the date (hopefully Sat 16th AM) to suit.

If any coaches want to volunteer their time that would be most welcome - I may be able to bung you expenses if I cover the circuit hire first (which will mean 20 riders).

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • saprkzz
    Eddy S wrote:
    Have a look at the Race Preparation Coaching Session that Prime Coaching are running at Hillingdon. Might help with some of what you're looking for.

BTW, I have no association with this - I'm just on their distribution list as Central Region coach.

Pretty much exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot!! will have a read, and i reckon i will go to that.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the other posts, I have been in a club, have left it now, but they only managed to get a maximum of 6 riders out, so havent really had much group riding.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Have to say that's a great idea and it's also good to see new riders who are prepared to learn the basics before ploughing straight in. I'd still like to see something like this formalised before people are allowed to race but getting people to run them would probably be a struggle.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Maybe its a clubs duty to put something like this on for their members, we do it each year, hire out Hillingdon and spend a day there going over the basics and do a mock race to show people what it will be like. Think it helps hugely.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    okgo wrote:
    Maybe its a clubs duty to put something like this on for their members, we do it each year, hire out Hillingdon and spend a day there going over the basics and do a mock race to show people what it will be like. Think it helps hugely.

It's alright if you have a circuit on your doorstep but not everyone is that fortunate.
  • samg123
    samg123 Posts: 275
    saprkzz wrote:
    Eddy S wrote:

Pretty much exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot!! will have a read, and i reckon i will go to that.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the other posts, I have been in a club, have left it now, but they only managed to get a maximum of 6 riders out, so havent really had much group riding.

You might want to try the Ludgershall email address anyway- last week's was cancelled so you may still be able to get onto the coaching sessions.
  • saprkzz
    Thanks samg, will pop him an email

I didn't realise you can hire hillingdon, maybe worth seeing if we can get 10 or 20 people together
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    A local (well drilled mind you) chaingang is also a good way to learn to ride at speed close to a wheel and other riders. It will also get you used to going through and off, getting used to changing the rotation with the wind direction etc
  • Tom Butcher
    Sunday 17th Feb - Darley Moor - 10.30 til 1 (doors open a bit earlier - may have circuit til 2) £5 to cover cost of hiring the circuit.

Suitable for all but will split groups based on ability - of those planning to come some are already 3rd cat and some novices as far as riding with others. We have coaches but we could do with someone who could offer advice to people of a level who are already racing but might benefit from some more advanced tips and drills if anyone is free that day and can help out.

If you hope to attend or you are able to help coach (please - you don't have to be a qualified coach just confident you've done enough racing to pass on something to others !) then pm me.

• saprkzz
    2 and half hours journey for me :( would have loved to come.
  • samg123
    samg123 Posts: 275
    Having done Ludgershall this weekend, I'd definitely recommend it for learning- it was much more beginner friendly than Castle Coombe because the pack was more stretched out, making it more like a club chaingang than riding in a peleton. If you can get there early and make it into the Cat 4 only race, I'd definitely give it a go: our club had about 5 first time racers out this weekend, and all loved it.
  • Hi Tom,
    I am interested but for some reason I can't PM you. I live in Dronfield can you let me know exactly where to meet and what to expect?

Matt.
  • Tom Butcher
    Meet Darley Moor 10am onwards for sign in for a 10.30 start. There will be a ride out from Derby if anyone wants to make it a longer day - see Derby Mercury forum for details later in the week.

Bring with you - bike, helmet, £5 for hire of circuit, some food/drinks, appropriate clothing. Note Darley Moor is VERY cold - we've just done a coaching session for youths there this morning in rain and sleet though so if you wear enough clothes you will be warm enough whatever the weather. I would wear an extra pair of gloves and overshoes to be sure as it wont be fun with cold hands and feet.

We will start off with a warm up and then do drills looking at stuff like cornering, cornering on a wheel, cornering in a group, moving up and around through a bunch, contact in a bunch without freaking out and bringing everyone down, riding in a break in a cross wind - not finalised the programme yet but that kind of stuff.

The group will be split as we have complete novices through to 3rd cats coming along. Note our coaches are NOT expert road racers - however we do have at least one guy who has raced at a decent level coming along to assist and we are borrowing drills from the regional schools of racing. I'll just stress again we do have some absolute beginners coming so if anyone wonders if they are good enough they will be - we also have half a dozen or so women expressed an interest so it's not just a group of blokes if any women are interested.

If we have to cancel (probably weather) I'll try and contact everyone that has emailed me but otherwise look on derbymercury.org.uk club forum. If there is ice or lying snow it will be off - rain we will go ahead.

And remember - you can't have too many pairs of gloves on there !!

• cojones
    cojones Posts: 131
    Hi Tom,

I've PM'd too, but it's sitting in my outbox. I'll be there...with woollies!

Cheers,

Matt C
  • Tom Butcher
    Ride out from Derby is 8.30 - where the A6 crosses the A38 post code near DE22 2AU (at the foot of the hill Devonshire Ave/Kings Croft junction)

• sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Tom
    Are you planning any further training events?
    I'm just down the road (LE9) and would love to come but I've only just noticed this event and I can't make tomorrow.
    Well done for getting it on - I hope it all goes well for all that turn up.
    S
  • Tom Butcher
    I'm not planning any but that's not to say there wont be any - we do youth ones and initially it was meant to be about a dozen adults sharing the track but because the agreement with the circuit was for youths only that caused problems and it sort of grew out of that.

• Tom Butcher
    UPDATE. Just had a message from Darley Moor saying they can't open the circuit for us tomorrow so it's cancelled. In their words a "mix up over dates". Not a lot I can do I'm afraid - sorry.

Apologies to anyone planning to travel but I suppose it's better to know now than tomorrow at 10.30 !