Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Shared a steak with Bertie but thought no-one would believe him so made up a story about a Chinese fat burning pill :lol:
  • Pross wrote:
    Shared a steak with Bertie but thought no-one would believe him so made up a story about a Chinese fat burning pill :lol:

Oh excellent. I thought for a moment it might be something far-fetched
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    It's OK to talk about testing in the various sports but what are the thresholds to be Negative. ??

Cycling seems to be more stringent than other sports. !
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    DeadCalm wrote:

ha i saw that, i did a seperate thread on that one, trotting out the cycling about power tennis about skill..... but otherwise reasonable comments on the whole
  • The recent exposure of the large-scale match fixing practices within football will reveal a lot about how the sports press view wrong-doing in cycling and in other sports.

http://www.dw.de/europol-exposes-footba ... a-16574490

I heard it described as the biggest scandal ever to befall soccer so I'd imagine it will dominate the sporting and regular news on a daily basis just as the doping-in-cycling scandal has in recent months. Or am I being a little naive? I think I know the answer to that question.

The disgraced cycling heroes of the past may have been doped up but at least they were trying their damnedest to win, save for the odd edition of Liege-Bastogne-Liege and the post-Tour criteriums. That's not excusing the doping cheats or their practices in any way. So it seems cycling doesn't have a monopoly on cheating bastards. Let's hope the wonderful, always-reporting-the-truth media that we know and love hammer the other sports for their wrong-doings just as they have with cycling.

DD.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Arsene Wenger wants better testing (blood testing) in football

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013 ... corruption
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Sorry if I have put this on another thread.

This article ties in with the Aussie sportsmen AFL and NRL and doping. Quote-
    "It's cheating but it's worse than that, it's cheating with the help of criminals," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21363100

Also this article about the UK Police using Drug Dealers for Steroids (if you can't trust the Police then who can you trust...) :?

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/26/illeg ... g-problem/

Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Source WADA
    Number of tests vs positives

data.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I'd read the expose blowing the lid on Curling dopers :o . And where's the acclaim for the crack squad of enforcers from the Bridge community?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • does anyone know if doping tests are tailored to each sport of if they just run the same battery of tests for each one?

Surely those needed for cycling are very different to those needed for bowling, surfing or bridge.
  • There's a list (WADA) of substances and methods banned in and out of competition.

Take a look at the UK Sport and WADA websites.
  • Pross
    Source WADA

data.jpg

That's a really interesting chart and goes to show how much more testing is done in cycling as I suspect a few of the other sports have more active participants (rugby for example). It's a shame it doesn't cover football and tennis though.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    'bridge' at the bottom of the chart - that's not the card game is it?!
  • Pross wrote:
    Source WADA

data.jpg

That's a really interesting chart and goes to show how much more testing is done in cycling as I suspect a few of the other sports have more active participants (rugby for example). It's a shame it doesn't cover football and tennis though.

Yeah. I was hoping to look for football.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Footie and doping

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/luke-jo ... 62165.html

The author tweets as @giggs_boson. He's been tweeting a lot over the Fuentes case
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Footie and doping

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/luke-jo ... 62165.html

The author tweets as @giggs_boson. He's been tweeting a lot over the Fuentes case

That's a cracking article, thanks for the linkage!
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • Thanks for the link, RR. It looks like at least one media outlet is finally waking up to the reality of drugs in other sports.

It is amazing how many people who follow sports like football, rugby and tennis, to name just three, truly believe that their sport is squeaky clean and that only cycling is dirty. This shows the influence that the media has on people's perception of the world we live in. So many believe that if it is written in the newspapers or it's on the news on TV, it is the absolute truth. I an beginning to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I think all media outlets approach the reporting of news, be it on sports or any other subject, with a certain agenda and their prerogative is to advance that agenda, not to report the truth. There are many honest, decent journalists in the media, but that industry is also saddled with many unscrupulous scumbags.

DD.
  • Pross
    Radio 5 had an interview with yesterday Jason Brown, a Welsh international footballer who spent a good few years at Blackburn. He reckoned that in a 15 year playing career he has been tested about 8 times. Some lady in charge of doping for the FA reckons they target players and the targetting looks at how long it was since their last test so if that involves giving players a test once every other season on average I'm not sure what non-targetted testing is like! By comparison the winners of every pro bike race get tested along with a few randoms in each race and the out of comp testing. Blood is tested, whereas in football it isn't and yet even then many escape undetected for years.

It is ridiculous that a sport with so much money as football makes so little effort to uncover doping and whilst cycling undoubtably deserves some of its reputation for being a dirty sport with regards to doping it is unsurprising that there are so many cases relative to some other sports. It is easy for a sport to look clean if no-one bothers looking for dirt.
  • Macaloon
    Really good Puerto and wider look at doping on R5 Live now. V good Whittle Jaschke interview.
    OMG. Harmon (?) times tennis correspondent having a mare.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Really good Puerto and wider look at doping on R5 Live now. V good Whittle Jaschke interview.

Neil Harmon. Wrote a fairly strong piece around 2 weeks ago, basically saying with Armstrong and now the Fuentes case, there are mutterings re tennis, and that there's a strong warning that tennis absolutely needs to take notice off and act on, pronto, to avoid a repeat of what's happened in cycling, and big names blowing up. Was that the gist of his mare?
  • Macaloon
    edited February 2013
    Deleted
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

Neil Harmon. Wrote a fairly strong piece around 2 weeks ago, basically saying with Armstrong and now the Fuentes case, there are mutterings re tennis, and that there's a strong warning that tennis absolutely needs to take notice off and act on, pronto, to avoid a repeat of what's happened in cycling, and big names blowing up. Was that the gist of his mare?

Oh no. Gistly - It's so unfair on some players (the Spanish ones) that these rumours fly: show us the evidence - tennis spends $1.8M on anti-doping every year. That's a hell of a lot of money - etc. In general he seemed shockingly defensive and ill-informed. I have read some of his stuff hence my surprise.

It seems to me that people view the doping in cycling as a cultural characteristic which could not possibly exist in their sport. "Sure we might have a few cheaters but no systematic skullduggery like that French sport." Otherwise commentators on tennis, football etc couldn't get away with repeating the same messages we heard throughout cycling's long torture.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Oh no. Gistly - It's so unfair on some players (the Spanish ones) that these rumours fly: show us the evidence - tennis spends $1.8M on anti-doping every year. That's a hell of a lot of money - etc. In general he seemed shockingly defensive and ill-informed. I have read some of his stuff hence my surprise.

It seems to me that people view the doping in cycling as a cultural characteristic which could not possibly exist in their sport. "Sure we might have a few cheaters but no systematic skullduggery like that French sport." Otherwise commentators on tennis, football etc couldn't get away with repeating the same messages we heard throughout cycling's long torture.

What.The.Bloody.F...he knows full well what's said about Nadal and Williams, S...amongst others. 1.8m - Djok got more than that in his paycheck for winning the Aus Open

Oh, and by the way, Harmon, a practioner of your saintly sport just got handed a 6 month ban for a positive
  • Macaloon
    Forgot to mention that the excellent Jeremy Whittle sighed thus at the end: "Oh dear, where's Neal been, and :lol: at $1.8M testing budget.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    The Guardian go All-In with a drugs in sport special. Featuring (that I've seen mentioned so far) football, tennis, rugby, athletics, boxing and cycling.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/series/ ... rt-special
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Not really. They have done a good job repeating facts to defend football without explaining just how many football professionals there are. They want a big fish first.

Channel 4 know of 2 Brazilians but have yet to cough up who they are. ( not hard to work out who though )
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Several good pieces in today's guardian, and in particular one on the ethics of doctors in sport and the inherent conflicts of interest. For instance, did anyone here know that sports doctors actually pay to work for major teams?!!
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Must admit I thought I had posted about this but my Computer maybe playing up. :?

This is an Article about the Scrabble World Champs; nothing is sacred these days-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/au ... s-cheating
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Must admit I thought I had posted about this but my Computer maybe playing up. :?

This is an Article about the Scrabble World Champs; nothing is sacred these days-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/au ... s-cheating

Doping is worth at least 10 points in Scrabble - 20 if it's on a double word square.
    Twitter: @RichN95