A Polite Request

alanp23
alanp23 Posts: 696
edited February 2013 in Pro race
The conversation in these threads and particularly the Sky/David Walsh one has both enthralled and annoyed me in equal measure and I have gotten sucked into it personally (something I have managed to avoid for years with the whole LA business)

I've realised today that this is because for the first time in my experience here, we are mixing media channels. We seem to be doing Twitter and BR forum to various degrees.

Frankly, I think this has caused confusion and it has caused bad feeling.

I have a different persona on Twitter to what I do here and I expect information in a different fashion. I expect it to be consistent though. I dont expect to have to search the forums here to understand a reference on Twitter and I dont expect to have to search Twitter to understand a reference from here. I do follow some BR residents on Twitter and I have gotten completely different and independent information there.

I think that anyone who is posting, should be judged on the nature of the posts that they make here. Equally, I think that posters should be posting in relation to the information and topics in here. I believe that there are a few famous names who have contributed in the past and in most cases, unless you are in the know, it is difficult to identify them. I like the fact that we are all just cyclists of some degree in here.

There seems to be a bit of bad feeling at the moment, rightly or wrongly in the perception of people's external status whilst they are posting in here.

I enjoy a bit of bad feeling and rivalry as much as the next person but in the past its all been referenceable back to posts in here. Other external baggage is being brought in here at the moment and it is generating a level of bad feeling I dont think I have seen before.

So, in my politest voice, is it possible for people to leave their external baggage at the door and for everyone else just to judge on what is said in here.

We are all equal in here, and should be judged on what we say and do in here not elsewhere.

PS it isnt the Sky thread thats made me snap, it is the bad feeling elsewhere.
Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    alanp23 wrote:
    Said some good stuff.

I agree that it's borderline Secret Seven stuff, and that merging social personae is tricky. But I hope it's just a transient peak following the Kimmage outrage. I'd be fine with calling-out egregious examples in the meantime.

Most of the most insightful stuff I've read on the whole doping mess has been sourced via this forum. It's like a peer-reviewed journal. You don't get away with bullcrap on serious questions. If the field merits the attention of serious people, there will always be congregations of the faithful in the forums.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    There's no proper racing on, we re all bored, give it until the Belgian races starts and it ll stop. Fair warning, it willstart again during the tour though....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I find it all incredibly amusing. So much self-importance-erone flying around from a bunch of people who want to be King (or Queen) of the Internet.

It's better than watching telly.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • alanp23
    Yeah! I've given up on my common sense plea.

I realise that secretly nobody is really taking themselves seriously. They are just pretending.

Going back to following my special twitter friends :shock:
  • ddraver
    Dude, I like to think that no one on here is taking any of this remotely seriously! If so I fear for their sanity...

It's all a bit of fun after all, No one is listening to us except us, go to Cyclechat or the CN forum and there will be the same topics with the same answers, just with different usernames...

(Ok maybe not the CN forum)
    - @ddraver
  • alanp23
    Hah! Mine wasnt serious either. It was a poor attempt at deadpan humour!
  • ddraver
    Ah....my bad, or is it...?!? :P
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    alanp23 wrote:
    Hah! Mine wasnt serious either. It was a poor attempt at deadpan humour!

Well it cracked me up. :|

Thought the original request was well meaning enough but unrealistic, and probably missed the point that twitter is, lie it or not (and I don't), a heavyweight media platform.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    The internet is, and always will be, the arse end of social interactions. How much of the residual is what varies. Here, the arse end is well wiped. Twitter is like the morning after a hot curry. Somewhere like 4chan is like constant food poisoning.

This is still the arse end though.

Where else can you interact with no rules or genuine consequences? It's addictive, just to watch.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    The internet is, and always will be, the ars* end of social interactions. How much of the residual is what varies. Here, the ars* end is well wiped. Twitter is like the morning after a hot curry. Somewhere like 4chan is like constant food poisoning.

This is still the ars* end though.

Where else can you interact with no rules or genuine consequences? It's addictive, just to watch.
    I find it hard to take down anyone's opinion in 140 characters so this forum is no a*rse end of anything but a place which lets quite a lot of knowledgable long term followers of the sport challenge opinion without word limitation or space for reason
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Human nature is what it is, good luck trying to change it.