Where do we stop for coffee these days?

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited February 2013 in The bottom bracket
This forum's title set me thinking.
In my youth, we'd head off from Mansfield, out into the wild, blue yonder. There were regular haunts we'd stop at, for tea/coffee/beans on toast. Most have shut up shop years ago, or been transformed into genteel tea rooms, where a bunch of sweaty cyclists, laughing over a copy of The Sunday Sport, were about as welcome as an outbreak of E-coli 157.
Newark's Wharf Cafe, Blythe's Whitehouse Cafe, ones at Bakewell & Ambergate, who's names now elude me. So, where do you stop now. Is it confined to the Little Chef?

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Coffee is sssooooo 2007-we stop for beetroot shots in little plastic wrappers.And we dont stop.HTH.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    In my youth, we'd head off from Mansfield, out into the wild, blue yonder. There were regular haunts we'd stop at, for tea/coffee/beans on toast. Most have shut up shop years ago, or been transformed into genteel tea rooms, where a bunch of sweaty cyclists, laughing over a copy of The Sunday Sport, were about as welcome as an outbreak of E-coli 157.
    Newark's Wharf Cafe, Blythe's Whitehouse Cafe, ones at Bakewell & Ambergate, who's names now elude me. So, where do you stop now. Is it confined to the Little Chef?

Nope.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    I think I used to go to that one at Ambergate, was it next to a tunnel-like bridge through a railway embankment? This was in my Ducati days, when we used to ride the A6 from Derby at speeds which still keep me awake at night sometimes.

The older I get, the better I was.

• nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Memories,eh?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I had a coffee and a giant sausage / onions in a roll at one of the burger van type things on Bury market square on saturday. The advantage being I could sit at a little table with the bike propped up next to me. The disadvantage being the aluminium chair sucking the residual body heat out of my @rse. I think overall it resulted in more calories in than out.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    keef66 wrote:
    Well I had a coffee and a giant sausage / onions in a roll at one of the burger van type things on Bury market square on saturday. The advantage being I could sit at a little table with the bike propped up next to me. The disadvantage being the aluminium chair sucking the residual body heat out of my @rse. I think overall it resulted in more calories in than out.

Haha been there a while a bit like Woolpit car boot,do you remember the tea hut on the cattle market before the Arc was there? there used to be a few old style cafes in bury,St Johns and St Andrews St i'm sure there was more.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Worked at the Transco place in Ambergate for a good while. Don't remember any cafe there but the bridge was a favourite for getting hit with lorries. Think rail track must have got fed up of assessing it for damage.
  • This is a regular stop for Mrs HL and me when we are out on the tandem:

http://www.southdowns-tearoom.co.uk/

Stopped there today for coffee and a rather nice chunk of their home made carrot cake :)
    Not exactly the wild blue yonder, but it's a lovely little old fashioned place.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    edited February 2013
    In your area ambergate cafe still runs but I rarely catch it openI think he shuts at 2pm . the caravan in the layby half a mile north is poular with motorbikers. the kiosk at cromford lights is always full of cyclists at the weekend. crich monument big mug of tea and cake if you can get up the hill.tall trees cafe darley dale brilliant scones , ask for a big mug or a pot. Rosies near gainsborough is still a regular place. sherwood pines cafe . gannets at newark we tend to use. I too cannot get used to paying 5quid for tea and cake , particularly when the tea comes in a tiny cup.
    garden centre cafe at southwell gets cyclists at weekends.teversall trails visitor centre. caravan in pleasley vale.new bakery near clay cross.

wirksworth next to the bookshop the school dinner ladies run a shop to take away very nice fresh pasties and cakes and coffee
    a mile up via gellia from cromford is a transport cafe in the layby, mostly mtb's and motorbikes.

flour mill museum cafe at rowsley
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552

I went into Ollerton Water Mill last summer all lycrad up any one would have thought I d walked in carrying the decapitated head of the owners first child.

I rerouted to Rufford park which was great (go in the Ford end on Wellow lane) riding is banned in the main park.

Mrs W is the store manager of the Tax dodgers in Newark and I m not allowed in there, any other cyclists is most welcome, just not me.

And I m desperatley without success trying to avoid the cheesecake shop (bread and butter pudding) in Mapperley Plains.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Newfield Dairy cafe near Hockerton is our latest fave cafe. The cake portions are huge and very nice, too cold to try their home-made ice cream yet though :)
    http://www.newfieldicecream.co.uk/

Tuxford windmill's another of my favourites, also the cafe at Bleasby. Too many cafes, not enough time :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,312
    I don't. Its not that there aren't any cafes round here, its just that what they offer isn't exactly inviting.

I likes to take flask n sarnies t' top of 'ill on back of Singer twice a munf...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    The Mess, 3 Market Place, Brewood, Staffordshire.
    http://www.the-mess.co.uk/

But I prefer tea, does that mean I'm not a proper cyclist?
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    our club has a trophy for tea drinking presented at the dinner annually
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    random man wrote:
    Newfield Dairy cafe near Hockerton is our latest fave cafe. The cake portions are huge and very nice, too cold to try their home-made ice cream yet though :)
    http://www.newfieldicecream.co.uk/

Tuxford windmill's another of my favourites, also the cafe at Bleasby. Too many cafes, not enough time :lol:

Didnt want to mention that one, Carmen and Adrian the owners are good friends of mine and Mrs W's. Once Franks got his new hip sorted we'll have to hit some routes around there.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Not so much coffee
    http://www.amisfield.co.nz/
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    There's a nice little place in Shardlow (derbys) if you're heading along the A6.

She only opens at the weekend and it's not easy to find as the entrance is not on the road but from the canal bank. I've never been there as a cyclist, only as a walker, but I know that a lot of cyclists find it. Cheap and cheerful, scones and cakes and some hot food.

52.868203, -1.344425 is the location from google mapping

The older I get, the better I was.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:

Haha been there a while a bit like Woolpit car boot,do you remember the tea hut on the cattle market before the Arc was there? there used to be a few old style cafes in bury,St Johns and St Andrews St i'm sure there was more.

I do indeed remember the little tea hut on the cattle market. Wonder where all the cows go now?
  • Norfolk is full of lovely welcoming tea rooms and cafés, haven't stopped at the same place twice since I started cycling in September.
  • Can't do it, stop for coffee and my legs turn wooden. Maybe I'm trying to hard?