Do brake mounts differ by manufacturer?

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm only realising this since replacing the pads on my Shimano M596's (they replaced tektro comps), but the old brake pads have ridges on them where the rotor wasn't using all the brake pad - about 6-7mm is untouched. If I change to a shimano mount will it make the rotor use all the pads? i.e. are they measured differently? I was of the opinion they were all the same size between manufactures.

The current mount is a tektro IS-PM 160mm. Nothing else has changed bar the calliper.

Also, the new pads (SS Kevlar) seem a bit too thick. With the pistons fully retracted, and everything fitted, the wheel won't freewheel due to the pads being a tight fit to the rotor. I'm guessing it wont hurt to file them down a tiny bit?

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if they are different then how would they all work on the same standard?

they all have to work on the same 6" post mount with a 6" disc. so it should not matter what adaptor you use as they are all designed to work to the same standard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    That's what I thought, but went into the LBS yesterday and I was told getting a Shimano mount should fix it as they're measured differently - no idea why/how which is why I didn't buy it.

Any ideas on why there's this gap then?
  • nicklouse
    it may not be the adaptor.

sounds like you have a tad too much fluid in the system as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Greer_
    Problem with the calliper then? I was going to say nothing else has changed ... but the wheels have - Superstar Switch hubs, but as the bike revolves around the hub I doubt it's that.

Could be too much fluid, but the pistons will fully retract. I may let out a tiny bit though.
  • nicklouse
    you have re set the caliper when you changed wheels?
  • Greer_
    No, I didn't touch the brakes when I changed wheels, bar to stop them from rubbing if that's what you mean by reset? I'm not sure how that would fix the top of the pads not being used.
  • nicklouse
    the calipers will need positioning as no hubs are the same.
  • Greer_
    Thanks for your help nick. What do you mean by positioning? (I sound like a noob here! - well I still am but fix most things myself after a little help). Unscrew all the mounts and put them back on? I didn't think there was much adjustment you could do, bar side-to-side.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    Greer_ wrote:
    I'm only realising this since replacing the pads on my Shimano M596's (they replaced tektro comps), but the old brake pads have ridges on them where the rotor wasn't using all the brake pad - about 6-7mm is untouched.
    Overhanging pads is bad, it can lead to brake failure.
    6 to 7mm of unused pad means that something is wrong.
    5mm of the pad braking material overhanging the outer edge of the rotor means that the caliper is packed out enough to use a 170mm rotor.
    10mm of the pad braking material overhanging the outer edge of the rotor means that the caliper is packed out enough to use a 180mm rotor.

Take a side on photo of the brake setup that shows the brake, the adapter, the rotor and post it on here.

If we can see your setup we might be able to identify what's wrong
  • Greer_ wrote:
    I didn't think there was much adjustment you could do, bar side-to-side.

That's pretty much it - just re-align the calliper sideways.

Incidentally, is the adaptor installed the right way around? That might explain the unused 6mm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What I was thinking.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    I hope the quality is good enough, had to use my phone. Thanks for the help so far.

8473443714_6d45130623_z.jpg

8473445738_2af98d1ffe_z.jpg

8472355149_577d24664b_z.jpg

8473443934_7b6d972bae_z.jpg
  • cobba
    That's strange, you have the adapter on the right way around and the adapter you have should work.

The adapter you have is the A-3 from Tektro's AQ Series Adapters which is basically the same as a Shimano 160mm Rear Adapter or a Superstar Type 2 adapter.
    I don't think that a new adapter would change the alignment problem.

Do the pads from the old brake have a similar wear pattern ?
  • Greer_
    Yeah I didn't think a new adaptor would fix it, and nope the old brakes didn't have this problem.
  • nicklouse
    time to get the file out.

or try a 140mm rear adaptor and some washers.
  • cobba
    nicklouse wrote:
    try a 140mm rear adaptor and some washers.
    That'd be the best option of the two.
  • Greer_
    Looks like I'll head back round to the LBS then and try a few different mounts out. Won't get it done before the race this sunday but it should work fine for it. It's only when it wears right down that problems are caused.
  • cobba
    If you've got a 160mm front adapter you could use that, a 160mm front PM to IS adapter is the same as a 140mm rear PM to IS adapter.

How far away from each other are the unworn parts of the brake pads when you squeeze the brake levers.
  • Greer_
    Nope I have no spare mounts. When I noticed the brake pads were dead, it was while I was out and the rear wheel had locked up for some reason - guessing the pads were touching and stopping the wheel moving. That was after 4-5 months abuse though and they are only organic pads. I had to separate the pads, and I just went straight home only using the front brake.