New peak time commute - routing advice? SE London-Central

Blandiblub
Blandiblub Posts: 134
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi all

Last year, I commuted semi-regularly (3 times a week maybe) but worked funny hours - late/night shifts inc. weekends. This meant it was generally ok to commute - less traffic, etc, - so I was less anxious doing it.

Now I'm doing a normal 9-5 M-F job (well, 8-4), I was initially hesitant as I considered the increased traffic/rush hour. However, having done it a few times now, I realise it's not so bad as I think drivers are expecting more cyclists than at other times and traffic is generally slower, so that's fine.

Anyway, I commute in from Welling (SE London/NW Kent) to Westminster. About 12.5 miles each way. As a newbie, I was wondering if anyone in the know had some route tips? At the mo, I go over Shooters Hill, Blackheath (where the traffic snarls up most), New Cross, Old Kent Road, E&C, Imperial War Museum and Lambeth Bridge.

I can handle Shooters Hill ok (bit out of practice now!), but the traffic over Blackheath is a bit of an annoyance as it's a bit tricky to filter there until you reach the bike lane over the Common itself.

I could cut through to Plumstead, Woolwich, Greenwich instead. It looks longer but would it be quicker?

I'm on the road at 0630 or so each day, if that matters - beats some of the rush hour.
Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Just cut down the centre of the two lanes across the first bit, most times you can go the whole length without any trouble, only time is if you have a stupid moped in front of you that can't go through narrow gaps.

I come from near the top of shooters hill and I go right after deptford bridge and then left at the top of that road and then carry on and then right at london bridge and then embankment.

I would stick to your current route rather than go through the towns.
  • Ta for that. Yeah, last week, it was quite tight doing the filtering over Blackheath but this morning was a bit more 'open' - I do do the middle of the two lanes.

Quite tempted by the right turn at Deptford, although doesn't solve the Blackheath thing of course.

Cheers.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have gone through greenwich to avoid Blackheath and you just get snarled up in traffic and lights
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Blandiblub wrote:
    ...it's not so bad as I think drivers are expecting more cyclists than at other times ....

This is why I think cycling in London is a lot safer than people think. I'm very confident in rush hour traffic for exactly that reason. The drivers on the whole expect you to be there, so are looking and are not surprised when you are. When i go down to see me parents in Kent and cycle around the medway towns the number of near misses is much higher......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Blandiblub wrote:
    Ta for that. Yeah, last week, it was quite tight doing the filtering over Blackheath but this morning was a bit more 'open' - I do do the middle of the two lanes.

Quite tempted by the right turn at Deptford, although doesn't solve the Blackheath thing of course.

Cheers.

Take a right just before or after you cross the A2 and come on to Vanbrugh Park. This will take you all the way through Blackheath until you hit Greenwich park. At this point you to go via Deptford you can either go through the park down to Greenwich (but not at the moment because of roadworks) or turn right down Maze Hill then left past the Academy to end up at the same point (there is also a back route along the Thames Path this way if you want a very quiet but slower option). Alternatively you can carry straight on to Charlton way which will lead you back to your normal route but cut out the traffic jam.

I doubt it'll be any faster, but it'll probably be a bit more pleasant.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra