Canal path tour in the UK

alanf
alanf Posts: 222
edited February 2013 in Tour & expedition
Wife and I want to leave our car at one end and ride a canal path 25-30miles, stay at a pub/B&B and then ride back the next day to the car. Anyone done this? or can make suggestions
Thanks
Alan
DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
I like
DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!

Comments

• Have not done anything with my bike, but live right next to the GUC & there are quite a few running events that I have entered.

4 years ago me & a mate used his Canadian Canoe to do a day trip down, stay overnight & return the following day. We used a book produced by Collins called Waterways Guide (lots of different ones printed to cover most Canals I understand). Think we purchased ours from Waterstones, though may have just as well been Amazon.

Gives a good breakdown of the Canal, info on pubs & restaurants along with other helpful info.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Leeds to skipton is a good canal route, depends where you are of course
  • I have had a very pleasant canal ride on the Kennet and Avon we stopped at the Dundas Arms in Kintbury for a drink and a meal but have not stayed there.
    http://www.dundasarms.co.uk/
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Aye - really need to know where you are thinking.

I live in Reading, about half a mile from the start of the Kennet & Avon canal and most of our family bike outings are along the canal - the scenery is great, surface is generally good, its totally flat and there are loads of great pubs for lunches etc!

Actually cycled all the way to the Severn Estuary along the canal with my 11yr old son a couple of years ago with 2 overnight stays at Devizes and Bath. From Bath to Bristol was away from the canal, along an old railway following a sustrans route.

The most beautiful part by far was the ride from Devizes to Bath, through Bradford upon-Avon and across some fantastic aquaducts - truly unforgettable countryside. I would recommend that stretch or part of it, but then if you live in Scotland it would be a long way to get there, so it really depends where you live.

We found many B&Bs that would keep your bikes in a shed or garage and even one that had a hot tub to ease the aching legs!
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    Many thanks for all the info. We live in Woodbridge in Suffolk, so getting to any canal is a drive for us. We have been inspired by Julia Bradbury's BBC programs as the scenery looks fantastic.
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!