Stuck brake pad screw

conceptsails
conceptsails Posts: 51
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have some Formula R1 brakes and when it cam to changing the pads today the little calliper pad retaining screw is stuck solid in the calliper. Its made of alloy so the allen key is just at the point of mashing up the head but hasnt quite yet. Any ideas how I can get it out?
Ta

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tried tightening first?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Not sure what the formula r1s are set up like but I had the same issue with some avids and I never got the pin out but the brake unit itself is held together by two larger bolts so I jus undid them and pulled the unit apart, the pin that's holds the pad doesn't have a threaded end just pops out when pulled out, hope you get it sorted! :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ignore this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Please.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    as the caliper is one piece it would not be possible anyway.

and is it not a Torx bolt and not an allen bolt?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Worked for me as I've said never seen formulas but I thought on the off chance it *could* help before the drill it out/superglue reply-I'm in work so don't really have the time to google pictures of brake units and I don't think I would even if I was at home bored out of my mind :-O
  • Anyone tried super gluing the allen key in the bolt?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    See Nick's post - are you sure it's not a torx?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    See Nick's post - are you sure it's not a torx?
    defiantly a 2.5mm allen bolt
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    is it this one? If so, does indeed look like a torx fitting.:

Either way, if the head of the bolt is exposed like that then you could try cutting a slot in it with a hacksaw and then use a flat-tipped screwdriver to undo.
  • nicklouse
    jimothy78 wrote:
    is it this one? If so, does indeed look like a torx fitting.:

Either way, if the head of the bolt is exposed like that then you could try cutting a slot in it with a hacksaw and then use a flat-tipped screwdriver to undo.
    it can come with either. steel pin is allen key and alloy pin is Torx IIRC

again back to the OP have you tried tightening it?
  • yeah, it wont move either way and now the sidewall of the allen socket is starting to split. That is the brake by the way with the shiny new red screws I just ordered to replace this little snake!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    r1 are torx. you do not want to knacker it as replacements are around £ 8 - yes £ 8 for a stupoid alloy screw.

they have the threaded part next to the head - try a some penetrating just below the head and inside the calliper being carful not to drop it on the pads.

sounds like the screw is damaged so you may as well go for broke and drill it out or cut a slot in the head and use flat blade screwdriver - I reckon the head will shear off before the screw will undo,
  • I had a similar problem with a gear shifter retaining screw last year. A small stud extractor/easi-out threaded into the remains of the socket in the screw got it out.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo