cwm carn conditions

ploppy
ploppy Posts: 173
edited February 2013 in Routes
HI All, i werent really sure were to put this, but i was looking at going to Cwm Carn fairly soon to use the DH track and the xc trail, but with the wet conditions of the past 12 months, i werent sure what it would be like.

So, has anybody been there recently and what is it like to ride at the moment? is it super boggy or it is all still very rideable, i havent been there in nearly 18 months.
go flat out or fall out!

Comments

• Rideable... its never boggy!
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Yep - rode it a couple of weeks ago after days and days of solid rain, and it was fine. Very few puddles and no sticky mud at all. Final descent was lovely and fast :shock:
  • ploppy
    ploppy Posts: 173
    was that the final descent on the twrch trail?

i think i will give it a go in a couple of weeks then. i also need to get some dh action in too as i need to prepare for the alps again.
    go flat out or fall out!
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Yes, sorry, forgot to say that.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I rode CC yesterday in the torrential rain and although it was all *rideable* it was the wettest I have ever seen it! Part of the xc trail was literally a running stream :shock:

Did one lap of the xc trail in the morning, had lunch, and started off on a second lap in the afternoon but everyone was so wet and cold we bailed about 2/3rd's up the xc climb and went down the dh track from the tunnel instead. That was actually better drained, but a chap on the uplift I spoke to at lunch mentioned that the rain had exposed all the big rocks and so everyone was getting loads of punctures :roll:

Not sure if I enjoyed the experience of bouncing down the dh trail on my 5 in peeing rain in xc kit and no knee pads but I was damn glad to get to the bottom in one peice :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Cwm is awesome in the wet :P

but it does tend to let the water run off it it so if its torrential it appears to be a river but as soon as the rain stops its clear which is a great feature. as for rocks on show.. thats just the way it is :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Cwm is awesome in the wet :P

but it does tend to let the water run off it it so if its torrential it appears to be a river but as soon as the rain stops its clear which is a great feature. as for rocks on show.. thats just the way it is :)

yeah cwmcarn is manicured compared to the otherside of the hills natural rock fests, but is more rocky than other trail centres. but like waylander says, it's just cc :D