First Night(mare) Ride

royce
royce Posts: 24
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Friday night I decided to go on my first night ride.
Checked all my lights were working and got my waterproof jacket out, as there was a light rain falling.
I'd planned on a 20 mile ride.

7 miles in and I got my first puncture :(
So feeling smug I got out my spare inner tube and swapped it over (no puncture repair at the roadside for me)
Jumping back on my bike I set off again.

1 mile down the road Puncture number 2 :cry:
So out came the puncture repair kit!!
Puncture number 2 fixed I had the decision carry on and risk puncture number 3 even further from home or turn back..
Being somewhat demoralised by now I chose the latter option.

So 5 miles from home Puncture number 3 :evil:
Each time I carefully checked the tyre for sharp pointy things and found nothing. So I figured there must be something I was missing. So I decided against a third repair in case I seriously damaged the tyre riding it with a piece of glass or similar imbedded in it.

Fortunately I was close to the storage locker I have near home so I dumped the bike into storage and walked the 5 miles home (all the time hoping to see a taxi as my phone had also died).
Unfortunately no taxis were to be seen.

I picked up the bike today and in the light of day found the offending piece of glass embedded in the tyre.
Once this was removed and both punctures fixed in each of my inner tubes I pumped up the tyre and left it for half an hour. This was all fine.

So despite the sleet I managed to get out for another 15 miles today. To stretch out my stiff muscles from my long walk Friday night!!

Think I need to exchange my flashy LED front light for a better light I my have been able to see the offender with a brighter light! Lesson learned I think

Roy

Comments

• herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    What shoes were you wearing? Hope you did not have to walk 5 miles in 'look' type shoes.
  • royce
    nope thankfully I was wearing walking shoes had overshoes, but dumped them with the bike
  • When you fixed the puncture did you check the same location on the tyre or did you just check the whole tyre?

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but that's what I do when fixing a puncture and it's usually enough of a clue to find the offending piece of glass/thorn/whatever.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I've ridden 5 miles on a puncture, Lance did 15 in a race
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I ride a lot at night and as a precaution carry a small maglight so I can inspect the linings of tyres in the event of a flat, and to see by in case I need to make any other repairs.
  • royce
    When you fixed the puncture did you check the same location on the tyre or did you just check the whole tyre?

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but that's what I do when fixing a puncture and it's usually enough of a clue to find the offending piece of glass/thorn/whatever.

Certainly tried to check relevant place, but no luck.
    No eggs here first time I've fixed a puncture in around 15 years all advice gratefully recieved :roll:
  • royce
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    I ride a lot at night and as a precaution carry a small maglight so I can inspect the linings of tyres in the event of a flat, and to see by in case I need to make any other repairs.

Think I'll be doing the same from now on...

The piece of glass was tiny and stuck deep in the tyre, but couldn't feel it from inside. Can only guess once the tyre was pumped up and my weight combined pushed it through enough to puncture the inner tube.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Just an idea

When you're checking for flints or glass in the tyre why not use your bike light. In fact why not use your finger and run it around the outside and inside of the tyre. Even in daylight I usually find the offending item using touch rather than sight.

And for future reference you should have shouldered the bike and run, cyclocross style. Extra training innit!
  • If it's a slow puncture you can ride on it and then re-inflate when necessary (and keep repeating until home).

I've done that twice before.

Just mind your wheels - the rims could easily take a pasting and that could become rather expensive very quickly.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    royce wrote:
    The piece of glass was tiny and stuck deep in the tyre, but couldn't feel it from inside. Can only guess once the tyre was pumped up and my weight combined pushed it through enough to puncture the inner tube.
    I think my record for this was three punctures - went through the routine, but there was a tiny bit of flint stuck in side the rubber (invisible from the outside, couldn't feel it on the inside), and it was only as the tyre got to full pressure that the little blighter pushed through into the inner tube. I only found it when I went round squeezing the tyre that the offending article was (just) visible from inside its little niche.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    royce wrote:
    1 mile down the road Puncture number 2 :cry:
    So out came the puncture repair kit!!
    Puncture number 2 fixed I had the decision carry on and risk puncture number 3 even further from home or turn back..
    Roy
    You did well to identify the hole in the inner tube and fix the second puncture, especially in the dark - even although it punctured again. I always carry 2 tubes as any time I have tested patches they haven't worked.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Lance did 15 in a race

But people do strange things when they are drugged up :D
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    All good experience and lessons learned if a pain at the time. I've only had two punctures in nearly two years of riding. Was amazed how tiny the bit of stone causing the problem was. My first attempt was in wet cold and sindy conditions and found that my first spare tube when fitted was also knackered...
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

I did that, had to buy a new tyre and nearly had to buy a new wheel. Lance didn't have to pay for anything.
  • djm501
    Oh, and a head torch - a powerful one - is a very handy thing to have on a night ride - it may not just be punctures you have to deal with - it's very useful to be able to see what you are doing.
  • djm501
    djm501 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Lance didn't have to pay for anything.

well until now at least :wink:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

bet he was on tubs though!

i went about a mile on a totally flat clincher last week as stopping to fix it would make me late, between the wet roads and the squirming/slipping tyre it really wasn't fun, every corner was a leap into the unknown, slowest mile i ever rode
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • royce
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Just an idea

When you're checking for flints or glass in the tyre why not use your bike light. In fact why not use your finger and run it around the outside and inside of the tyre. Even in daylight I usually find the offending item using touch rather than sight.

And for future reference you should have shouldered the bike and run, cyclocross style. Extra training innit!

My front is just a little flashy thing and I ran my fingers round inside and out several time looking for the offending piece of glass.... Mmm running my fingers round looking for broken glass.... :shock:

Definatly be investing in a more practical front light soon
  • royce
    If it's a slow puncture you can ride on it and then re-inflate when necessary (and keep repeating until home).

I've done that twice before.

Just mind your wheels - the rims could easily take a pasting and that could become rather expensive very quickly.

nothing slow about these, once it started to go flat it was flat within mins...
  • royce
    royce wrote:
    I think my record for this was three punctures - went through the routine, but there was a tiny bit of flint stuck in side the rubber (invisible from the outside, couldn't feel it on the inside), and it was only as the tyre got to full pressure that the little blighter pushed through into the inner tube. I only found it when I went round squeezing the tyre that the offending article was (just) visible from inside its little niche.

Yep sounds exactly the same as my fun evening, only found it after got the bike home..
  • Props for heading out at night in the first place. I need to man up!
  • A tip I was told once is always position the tire with the name directly over the valve. That way when you find the puncture you'll have a fair idea where on the tire to look for the offending article
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Props for heading out at night in the first place. I need to man up!

At this time of year if I didn't ride at night I'd hardly get out at all. I'm just glad the wind's dropped.

Decent lights and appropriate clothing and you'll be fine
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I'm always trying to recycle things, tyres amongst them. I was 5 miles in to a ride when the old front recycled tyre gave way. A bubble of the inner tube popped out of the side wall and before I could grab it to stop it getting bigger it burst. I looked around for something to line the tyre and found a childs sock. So, I put in it. :lol: I wrapped some pvc tape around the inner tube to stop it pushing out of the split. It got me home. I now have some pvc tape handy on all my bikes in case it happens again.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.