Numb Big Toe

m4ttc
m4ttc Posts: 41
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
I've been riding with SPDs for a month or so now and have found the transition fairly straight forward. I am gradually building up my miles and now up to 20 miles or so. I know it's not a lot to some people but I am an unfit novice new new to road cycling.
The problem I have is that my left big toe is getting numb towards the end of the ride. The shoes aren't too tight and feel pretty comfy. I have no problems with my right toe.

Should I just keep going or maybe adjust position of cleats? Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Comments

• Mine do the same, even in summer & without SPDs!
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • I have this problem too on both toes
  • royce
    royce Posts: 24
    I get pretty numb in all my toes with some pins and needles.
    Some of it I put down to the cold (over shoes have helped a bit)
    The rest I'm putting down to poor pedelling technique.
    The more I'm aware of how I pedal the better it's getting.
    I was tending to push my toes into the end of my shoes and toe clips and use that downward force to pedal.
    If I concentrate on pushing with the ball of my foot downwards and not pushing into my toe clips it's much better.

Of course it might just be me that pedals like that and your problem is completly different lol
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Shoes too tight stopping full circulation.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    smidsy wrote:

+1 Deffo sounds like tight shoes. Try taking inner sole out and see if it improves.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Almost certainly shoes too tight. What shoes are they? Let the front tension out a little if you can. Thinner socks?
  • smoggysteve
    smidsy wrote:

+1 Deffo sounds like tight shoes. Try taking inner sole out and see if it improves.

Forgot to mention it. If it is tight shoes and this above helps. I have in the past cut the sole up and left the part that would be under the toes out and leave support to the ball and heel of the foot.
  • In my case it's not the shoes. The shoes have plenty of room & I slackened the laces right off to eliminate this as the cause.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Also, it's not actually just my big toe but half my foot from the toes backwards, so all toes. :cry:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • It might be worth your while trying an insole with some metatarsal posting - that is a ridge that runs accross the foot just behind the toes which helps to spread the toes a little which helps blood flow and avoids/reduces nerve compression. Specialized do some they have arch support as well and if you can get into a decent Spesh dealer they will measure you up to see which one fits your foot (three sizes) and should let you slip it into your shoes if you take them with you to try in the shop. There are loads and loads of other brands and makes as well I just happen to know about Spesh cause I tried them myself before I got Wide fit Bonts.

PS - have a look down at the shape of the front half of your foot when you press weight down on the ball and then look at the shape of the front half of your shoes - then look at the shape of Bonts (foot shaped shoes what a strange idea that was - however did they dream that up!) and then order a pair 8)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Also, it's not actually just my big toe but half my foot from the toes backwards, so all toes. :cry:
    The shoes are too small for you ....
  • giant man wrote:
    Also, it's not actually just my big toe but half my foot from the toes backwards, so all toes. :cry:
    The shoes are too small for you ....

No, I'm between a size 7 & 8. The shoes are 8 & have more than enough room for the toes. My pedals are flats with no clips at all.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    You're not clenching/tensing your toes without realising it are you ?
    I used to do this. Too loose shoes might exacerbate this.

Pete
  • peteco wrote:
    You're not clenching/tensing your toes without realising it are you ?
    I used to do this. Too loose shoes might exacerbate this.

Pete

It's a possibility to be honest.

I've suffered with carpal tunnel syndrome (wrists, numb hands) for years so the numb feet get little attention & I tend to just carry on regardless. I obviously looked into shoe size/fitment to eliminate it but I have found myself clenching/tensing now & then.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • smidsy
    Brilliant. You come on here asking for help and then refuse to believe what people say. FFS!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Brilliant. You come on here asking for help and then refuse to believe what people say. FFS!!!

How exactly do you get to that conclusion knob head?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • ♠ChumBucket♠
    ♠ChumBucket♠ Posts: 388
    edited February 2013
    smidsy wrote:

:roll:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • I was having trouble with this with my old (cheap) Shimano shoes. Got some Specialized road shoes for christmas that have the fancy shaped insole and I forget I even have feet now. They have the metatarsal 'button' in them which seems to do the trick. I've doubled the distance of my rides too with no issues what so ever. Try and find some insoles if you don't want to buy new shoes. But I'd certainly recommend the Specialized shoes to anyone who wanted some new shoes.
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    Could just be the cold at this time of year, I know that makes my big toes numb. Needed better insulation with breathability.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Lovely atmosphere here
  • ♠ChumBucket♠
    edited February 2013
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Lovely atmosphere here

Yeah, it really is a shame that some snobs on here have their heads so far up their own arses they can see out of their mouth!!

"road beginners" is the title of the forum section. :wink:

For the sake of Smoggy Steve, this isn't aimed AT you Take Turns, it's just a reply to your observation. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • smoggysteve
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Lovely atmosphere here

Yeah, it really is a shame that some snobs on here have their heads so far up their own arses they can see out of their mouth!!

Wait up! One guy makes a comment and gets attacked by you for what reason? If you are not happy with something written on these forums please feel free to voice a constructive opinion or leave. This is not a place to be throwing abuse at anyone with whom you may not see things the same way .

The OP made a statement about numb toes, some others offered advice. Then you kind of hijacked the thread to start getting abusive. I don't even think the poor guy even got an resolution to his question now. If you still have any questions m4ttc please do ask.
  • TakeTurns wrote:
    Lovely atmosphere here

Wait up! One guy makes a comment and gets attacked by you for what reason? If you are not happy with something written on these forums please feel free to voice a constructive opinion or leave. This is not a place to be throwing abuse at anyone with whom you may not see things the same way .

The OP made a statement about numb toes, some others offered advice. Then you kind of hijacked the thread to start getting abusive. I don't even think the poor guy even got an resolution to his question now. If you still have any questions m4ttc please do ask.

Re: Numb Big Toe
    by smidsy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Smoggy Steve-

Do you know what FFS stands for? no? it's "for fu*k sake" AND you accuse ME of being abusive?

Note- I did NOT come on here asking for any help either, look at my posts, they were simply statements along the lines of the OP, just as others did too. Where does a ? appear on my behalf?

So please forgive me for feeling a little hard done by, I was not the one who got his facts wrong, tried to be clever or threw any unjustified abuse in the first place!!!!!!!! :roll:

What you quote wasn't "aimed" at take turns either, it was simply in reply to his observation.

Here's another recent example of our resident "clever cloggs" in action! :roll:
    Re: Always check the weather on the WHOLE route!
    by smidsy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:00 pm

I'll check the forecast and then tell myself it's wrong and go anyway - FFS.

AND the holes in the shoes are ventilation - they are summer shoes, much like fingerless gloves!!!.

Are you sure you are safe to be let out on your own.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    You do come across as being a bit of a dick tbf fair
  • smidsy
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    As part of my training plan that I have been on since then start of the year I was out once again out at the crack of dawn today (7.20 and still dark!). Planned everything the night before for my planned 80km ride, liquid - check, fuel/food -check, tyre pressures - check, brakes etc - check. I even checked the weather the night before and although the forecast was for snow at my destination I thought "I'll be okay, weather reports always change".
    So as I am going up a killer hill (sat down I hasten to add) and I start to notice the snow building up in the fields alongside me...to cut a long story short I almost turned around because of the cold in may hands due to fingerless mitts (doh!) and no overshoes on my Shimanos.. Why DO they put a hole in the front of the sole other than to numb your toes? But I recalled rule number 5... http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ :idea: and once I reached my destination I actually couldn't wait for the return leg! Anyone else ever done similar?

@ ChumBucket
    Yes I did write FFS, the above highlighted elements seem to justify it....given that it's February and rarely above 6 degrees.

And I am not the one calling people unsavoury names AM I.

I will add you to my ignore as I do not need you in my life FOOL!!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • m4ttc
    m4ttc Posts: 41
    Thanks for all the advice and sorry it's all booted off.

I don't think the shoes are too tight. They are very comfy. I wore two pair of socks yesterday as I thought it maybe the cold but to no avail. I suppose I could try overshoes. It could be poor technique as I am a beginner and it is my left foot which is the weaker of the two.

Thanks for the help guys.
  • ♠ChumBucket♠
    edited February 2013
    smidsy wrote:
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    As part of my training plan that I have been on since then start of the year I was out once again out at the crack of dawn today (7.20 and still dark!). Planned everything the night before for my planned 80km ride, liquid - check, fuel/food -check, tyre pressures - check, brakes etc - check. I even checked the weather the night before and although the forecast was for snow at my destination I thought "I'll be okay, weather reports always change".
    So as I am going up a killer hill (sat down I hasten to add) and I start to notice the snow building up in the fields alongside me...to cut a long story short I almost turned around because of the cold in may hands due to fingerless mitts (doh!) and no overshoes on my Shimanos.. Why DO they put a hole in the front of the sole other than to numb your toes? But I recalled rule number 5... http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ :idea: and once I reached my destination I actually couldn't wait for the return leg! Anyone else ever done similar?

@ ChumBucket
    Yes I did write FFS, the above highlighted elements seem to justify it....given that it's February and rarely above 6 degrees.

And I am not the one calling people unsavoury names AM I.

I will add you to my ignore as I do not need you in my life FOOL!!!!

Could you still answer how you get to the conclusion in your first outburst please? There seems only one FOOL around here! :D

1. Where did I "come on here asking for help"?
    2. Where did I "refuse to believe" anything anyone said?
    Re: Numb Big Toe
    by smidsy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Enough said then eh? Another clown with his head up his own arse, just picked on the wrong'un this time! :roll:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • smoggysteve
    m4ttc wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice and sorry it's all booted off.

I don't think the shoes are too tight. They are very comfy. I wore two pair of socks yesterday as I thought it maybe the cold but to no avail. I suppose I could try overshoes. It could be poor technique as I am a beginner and it is my left foot which is the weaker of the two.

Thanks for the help guys.

There is a possibility it may be cleat position. If you are pushing to far forward from the ball of your foot and onto your toes you are in a way pushing your toes into the end of your shoes. I have done this before when I first started riding. Maybe moving the cleat a bit further back could help. Also look at how they are lined up. Do you use cleats with a float or fixed? If the rest of your foot is warm and its just your big toe, I dont think its likely to be the cold. Still, try whatever you can to fix the problem.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Just a thought, what do you wear at work?
    I've worn heavy steel toe capped boots for the best part of 22 years. The tips and outside edges of my big toes have a strange numbness/tingling to them because of this, and thats the only part that seems to suffer badly in the cold
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I have this on my right toe. It started when my spesh shoes were hurting the bottome of my foot where the cleats are located. A couple of years on the Doc reckons i have Mortons neuroma.

Symptoms of Morton's neuroma include:

Tingling in the space between the third and fourth toes

Toe cramping

Sharp, shooting, or burning pains in the ball of your foot (and sometimes toes)

Pain that increases when wearing shoes or pressing on the area

Pain that gets worse over time

In rare cases, nerve pain occurs in the space between the second and third toes. This is not a common form of Morton's neuroma, but treatment is similar.