Opinion on RockShox SID XX Dual Air XLoc Tapered Forks 2012?

miurasv
miurasv Posts: 345
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Just bought the RockShox SID XX Dual Air XLoc Tapered Forks (2012) with a list price of £699.99 on sale with a 60% discount at £280 to go on my Giant Trance. Does anyone have any experience or opinions of these forks? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Just fitted Sids to wifeys bike, very impressed but they were something like 2010 Sid, .

Where dfid you find them at that price?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Nice forks, damper is okay personally I prefer the BBMoCo damper from that year or the newer RCT3 but they should be retrofit able if you cant get on with whatever they stuck in the xx ones.

How hard do you ride? I find my sids get a little flexy when the going gets lairy but I'm a big fat bugger. That said, with lightweight wheels it's usually six of one. Bloody light though!
  • miurasv
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Just fitted Sids to wifeys bike, very impressed but they were something like 2010 Sid, .

Where dfid you find them at that price?

Winstanley's but they're sold out of them.
  • miurasv
    These forks have a 9mm Quick Release with a Tapered Steerer. Would have preferred a 15mm axle and I've been wondering if that woukld have made much difference?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Performance is good, but I think the 15mm axle is really worth it!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I have a set of 2011 SIDs and think they are a great fork. XX damper isn't to my personal tastes, I prefer the higher adjust-ability of the MoCo and don't ever use the lockout but I bet it still performs very well.

Also I'd take a tapered steerer over a 15mm axle any day. For the type of riding the SID is designed for I can't feel any torsional flex but I can feel for and aft flex
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    ddraver wrote:
    I think the 15mm axle is really worth it!

Thats a Big 10-4 Rubber Duck!

In other words, yes definitely!
  • miurasv
    jairaj wrote:
    I have a set of 2011 SIDs and think they are a great fork. XX damper isn't to my personal tastes, I prefer the higher adjust-ability of the MoCo and don't ever use the lockout but I bet it still performs very well.

Also I'd take a tapered steerer over a 15mm axle any day. For the type of riding the SID is designed for I can't feel any torsional flex but I can feel for and aft flex

I received my forks and fitted them today and they look great. However, I've not ridden the bike yet. You said you prefer MoCo over XX but these forks also have Motion Control DNA stamped on the top nut of the RH stanchion. Does that mean that they have MoCo as well?
  • jairaj
    I think they have the MoCo damper but I believe (and may be wrong) that the XX version only has hydraulic lockout and not an adjustable compression from fully open to lockout. I haven't kept up to date with recent RS damper changes so I may be misinformed.

I hardly ever use lockout, so I prefer the option to add just a bit of compression damping. But other people may use their forks differently and prefer what you have. I tend to keep mine fully open most of the time anyway so in reality I'd notice very little difference between the two types.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, that's right. The XX ones just have the hydraulic lockout. If you use the lockout a lot they're great, if you don't then they're heavier, more expensive (at retail) and less adjustable than those with a crown mounted lockout.
  • miurasv
    jairaj wrote:
    I think they have the MoCo damper but I believe (and may be wrong) that the XX version only has hydraulic lockout and not an adjustable compression from fully open to lockout. I haven't kept up to date with recent RS damper changes so I may be misinformed.

I hardly ever use lockout, so I prefer the option to add just a bit of compression damping. But other people may use their forks differently and prefer what you have. I tend to keep mine fully open most of the time anyway so in reality I'd notice very little difference between the two types.

Thank you very much for your informative reply. It's very much appreciated. These forks have an adjustable gate valve on the remote lock out switch so would this be the compression adjuster you refer to? Also to get the recommended 25% SAG I find I have to use lower pressures than stated on the fork leg for rider weight. Do you have any views on this?
  • njee20
    No, that's the blow off threshold - the point at which the fork will still compress if it's locked out. Run it soft and it's almost like a platform, or run it hard and it won't budge on all but the biggest hits.

Compression damping gives a range of firmness through the travel, rather than an on-off as with the XX lockout.

Pressure wise yes, ignore the printed pressures, they're twaddle IMO!
  • jairaj
    Just pump up to what ever pressure gets you the correct sag. My previous RS forks started out a little stiff and inconsistent from new and I was using much lower pressures to get the desired sag. But as the seals and other parts bed in after a few rides the sag became consistent although pressures where still lower than the guides.
  • ddraver
    I'm going to hijack this for 10 secs

njee - SID RL or Fox Terralogic fork (29er) for XC/trail riding. What do you reckon?
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    For my money SIDs - never got on with Terralogic forks, although admittedly I've not used any of the newest ones. I didn't like the 'will it/won't it move on this bump' and found myself either running wide on corners when my fork stayed locked or over steering when it suddenly unlocked unexpectedly.

Not really fussed by lockouts on the front - never felt an active fork really hampers me. I took the entire MoCo damper out of my SIDs - saved about 90g.
  • ddraver
    interesting, new bike time soon you see ;)
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is often worth taking out the Turnkey dampers in RS forks.