Carry daily clothes

Harp
Harp Posts: 79
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
I've been commuting for 10 years or so and have the luxury of having a locker where I work in which I keep a dozen shirts / 4 pairs of trousers , some shoes etc. My wife works in the same place and she brings my clothes in by car which I then hang in my locker.
I'm going to be moving to a new location and will not have a locker or a wife to bring my stuff in.

I don't need to wear shirt / tie etc but like to be smart.
Any of you guys in the same predicament that could offer some advice as to how to carry clothes daily ?

Will be 17 miles each way so it need to be waterproof
Thanks.

Comments

• inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I use a carradice saddle bag.

Only issue is shirts can be a bit creased, so if you can take them in advance and hang them for a couple of days, it helps.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    My mrs works same place too. I bring a weeks worth in, No locker, just folded in drawers, although its just jeans and t-shirts.
  • I bring my clothes in once a week in a rucksack and then take the dirty ones home the same day. Not a shirt & tie job, so a couple of pairs of jeans and some polo shirts. They live under the desk in an archiving box until needed.

As for transporting them - I try and pick a dry day, but if wet, then I have a waterproof cover for the rucksack, but stil double up with carrier bags inside!
  • Harp wrote:
    I've been commuting for 10 years or so and have the luxury of having a locker where I work in which I keep a dozen shirts / 4 pairs of trousers , some shoes etc. My wife works in the same place and she brings my clothes in by car which I then hang in my locker.
    I'm going to be moving to a new location and will not have a locker or a wife to bring my stuff in.

I don't need to wear shirt / tie etc but like to be smart.
    Any of you guys in the same predicament that could offer some advice as to how to carry clothes daily ?

Will be 17 miles each way so it need to be waterproof
    Thanks.

Had the same thing - now I just keep a box (think we bought from Ikea) under my desk with pants, socks, shoes & trousers folded up. Then just hang my shirts on hangers under the desk too, in my draws are my ties, cuff links & toiletries. Just leave my suit jacket on a hanger on the coat rack. I then just drive to the office once every 2 weeks and replace the shirts, pants, socks & trousers & take the worn clothes home with me every day in a small rucksack that I carry all my food in.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I have thought about the "no clothes approach at work" but don't think it would go down too well.
  • rolling shirts makes for less creases than traditionally folded
  • +1 on the rolled shirts, and jeans/trousers for that matter!
    12 year old claud butler MTB
    2012 giant defy 0 (black is slimming you know!)
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I bring shirt and trousers, undies and spare socks every day in a pannier bag. Roll rather than fold the shirt and trousers. They don't weigh much.
  • nehal
    nehal Posts: 18
    Rolling also allows you to pack more efficiently I find so you may be able to take everything (or a few days worth atleast) in your bag. Although I guess it depends how much you worry about additional weight. Shirts are pretty light, trousers could be quite dense e.g. jeans.
  • Harp
    Harp Posts: 79
    Thanks guys
    The rolling and keeping stuff under my desk in a box is a good :idea:
  • Had the same thing - now I just keep a box (think we bought from Ikea) under my desk with pants, socks, shoes & trousers folded up. Then just hang my shirts on hangers under the desk too, in my draws are my ties, cuff links & toiletries. Just leave my suit jacket on a hanger on the coat rack. I then just drive to the office once every 2 weeks and replace the shirts, pants, socks & trousers & take the worn clothes home with me every day in a small rucksack that I carry all my food in.

Hang on, hang on - you have 2 WEEK old underpants under your desk?????? :shock: 2 WEEKS?????

Do you get increasingly less visitors in a 2 week cycle? After 7 days do people start getting the gas masks out???
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Had the same thing - now I just keep a box (think we bought from Ikea) under my desk with pants, socks, shoes & trousers folded up. Then just hang my shirts on hangers under the desk too, in my draws are my ties, cuff links & toiletries. Just leave my suit jacket on a hanger on the coat rack. I then just drive to the office once every 2 weeks and replace the shirts, pants, socks & trousers & take the worn clothes home with me every day in a small rucksack that I carry all my food in.

Hang on, hang on - you have 2 WEEK old underpants under your desk?????? :shock: 2 WEEKS?????

Do you get increasingly less visitors in a 2 week cycle? After 7 days do people start getting the gas masks out???

you need to learn to read before firing off your wit :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I use a carradice saddle bag with the bagman support. Expensive but bomb proof, will last many years and surprisingly waterproof too.

Easy iron shirts crease a lot less.
  • I manage it just about with two rear panniers. In one I put my shoes and clean towel (at the start of the week), undies and socks and a carefully folded pair of trousers on top. In the other I put a carefully folded suit jacket and a carefully folded shirt (same kind of folded as you see on shop shelves). This way neither pannier bag is full, which feels a bit like overkill for what I carry, but it means the shirt and suit aren't that creased when I get to work (8 mile ride).

When I get there, I shake out some of the creases in the shirt and hang it up while I shower. By the time I'm at my desk it is acceptable. That said, I'd be keen to hear a better solution as I fancy a pannier-free ride in, but rucksacks for me always result in creased clothes.

I used to work at a place with a nearby shirt laundry service. I could drop off a batch of shirts and they would wash and iron them for about £1.50 each. I could also hang them in the office so they were good to go each morning, but the new job means nowhere to keep them, so I have resorted back to taking in daily shirts. Not ideal, but I get over it.
    FCN: 3 on the singlespeed, 4 on the roadie.
  • Benjo74 wrote:
    I manage it just about with two rear panniers. In one I put my shoes and clean towel (at the start of the week), undies and socks and a carefully folded pair of trousers on top. In the other I put a carefully folded suit jacket and a carefully folded shirt (same kind of folded as you see on shop shelves). This way neither pannier bag is full, which feels a bit like overkill for what I carry, but it means the shirt and suit aren't that creased when I get to work (8 mile ride).

When I get there, I shake out some of the creases in the shirt and hang it up while I shower. By the time I'm at my desk it is acceptable. That said, I'd be keen to hear a better solution as I fancy a pannier-free ride in, but rucksacks for me always result in creased clothes.

I used to work at a place with a nearby shirt laundry service. I could drop off a batch of shirts and they would wash and iron them for about £1.50 each. I could also hang them in the office so they were good to go each morning, but the new job means nowhere to keep them, so I have resorted back to taking in daily shirts. Not ideal, but I get over it.

Expensive but it'll keep your suit crease free if you still wanna go the rucksack route: http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/wingman-suit-bag-review/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Due to work needs I have to drive to work at least once a fortnight, so keep enough clothes under my desk to cover that time.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    there are videos on youtube with lessons on how to fold a suit jacket
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    I have a revolution rucksack that I carry my grundies, trousers, top and a spare pair of socks in case I get wet on the way in, plus lunch and some work stuff. I also carry in a fresh towel and flannel on the first commute of the week. I leave a pair of shoes at work because I only use them for work. I actually walk around the office in my socks unless it is cold! I don't wear cotton shirts so have no problem with creases.

I toyed with the idea of bringing in more to leave in the office but don't have much of a problem with the weight every day. Hopefully it will make me faster when I'm not wearing a rucksack!
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I take a Camelback Hawg (which has a waterproof cover inbuilt) every day with some pants, jocks, socks, shirt in. Only weighs about 4kg with everything in it inc bike spares, phone/wallet etc. Simples.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Shoes and a few pairs of trousers live at work, only need to carry fresh boxers and socks. Every now and then I'll take a backpack and take a few weeks worth of shirts, non-iron ftw.

Only need a large Ortlieb saddle bag. Used to use panniers, they drag and weigh too much, took the fun out of the ride but better than a backpack 5 days a week.
  • I have just purchased the below..... it has a built in (but detachable) waterporof cover, loads of room/ compartments to put work clothes/ towel / toiletries / lunch in, even room for some light food shopping on the way home if needed!

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a66169 ... tAodQFgA8A
  • The evans one is a bargain £65.99 reduced from £110
  • R+P+K
    R+P+K Posts: 49
    My workplace is pretty casual so I keep a couple of shirts and shorts at work under my desk and normally just transport my lunch, socks and undies on a daily basis. If it's raining, I put them in a plastic bag. My shirts can crease, but rolling them is the way to go.
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    My suits, shoes and ties stay at work.......every two weeks I drive in on a sat and replenish shirts
  • Can wear casual at work so keep a pair of trousers and shoes under my desk with my wash stuff and just carry in underwear/socks and a t-shirt in a carrier bag, within my rucksack. It's all I need.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • I use one of these Antler Ultimate Commuter bags - fits my suit, shirts for the week, shoes, toileteries, towel, etc etc - genuinely the best thing I've bought for my bike! I recently received a second bag (I write for a different site - probably not allowed to tell you the name!) so have put it on ebay for almost half what it sells for in the shops. I rated it 10/10 for comfort, practicality etc. It's made my commute so much easier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160975495596? ... 1555.l2649

Feel free to ask me any questions.