New crankset for bike, will it fit?

shingweima
shingweima Posts: 5
edited February 2013 in The workshop
I have a Cube Hyde SL 2012
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube%20bikes%20hyde%20sl%202012/urban-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/41758
that comes with a very good Deore XT 42X26T crankset.

I'm finding though that I need a bigger chainring and came across the Shimano Deore XT Trekking Triple crankset with 48/36/26T that seems to fit the bill of my needs and requires the least amount of changes to other parts on my bike.
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/components/trekking_bike/deore_xt_nw/product.-code-FC-T781-L.-type-.fc_mountain.html

The only question is does anyone know if this will fit the bike, more specifically will there be any clearance issue with the chainstay as I can't find information online about the dimensions of this crankset and my LBS doesn't seem to have a clue (it's an Evans unfortunately).

Thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    why not just buy a 48t chainring?

Moving from a double to a triple will need a lot more parts and quite possibly wont work with your frame.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll need a new front mech for the larger chainring.

How fast are you going, you should be topping 30mph with that combo if your pedaling at the right cadence.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I don't have a computer to tell me how fast I'm going, but I do find myself just spinning like made on the highest gear, especially when I'm out of London and descending.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy the crank with front mech and see, worse comes to worse, I'll keep the parts for other bikes further down the road. :D
  • The Rookie
    You could try logging your speed (strava/endomondo/sportstracker)....some peoples spinning like mad is still not really as fast as it could or should be if you want to cycle at good efficiency.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I love the way people rarely answer the OP's question and tell them to do other stuff instead.

Yes, it will fit. They are both Shimano HTII cranks so no issues about matching the bottom bracket or crank width. They are both 10 speed too.

I very much doubt the chain will rub on the chainstay unless the cube is a weird design.

I suspect that you can even use the same front mech as all front mech's have three 'clicks' in them. You will need to adjust the low/high position screws and you will also need to raise the mech further up the seat tube to account for the larger chainring but if you are reasonably competent it isn't difficult.
    FCN = 4
  • The Rookie
    The curvature on the front mech outer cage is different for different chainrings, it may work, it may not, but it will have to sit higher than it should do due to the different curvatures.

Of course we answer a question by telling them other stuff instead, if we just wanted them to buy stuff regardless of whether they needed it, we'd work in a shop, as it is we answer the whole question rather than that specifically asked.....
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    Sorry to high jack the thread but what about if you are going from a triple to a double on a Giant SCR 3.0? Surely it should still work?
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for
  • The Rookie
    Triple to double is meaningless, what ring szes on each?
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    I think i'll be going to a 52/34 from a 50/39/30
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for
  • The Rookie
    You'll probably need a double specific mech as the steps on the triple won't match the new ring sizes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ArdyOCD wrote:
    I think i'll be going to a 52/34 from a 50/39/30

How often do you go straight from the small chainring to the big chainring? Going from 34 to 52 is only two teeth more than the jump straight from 30 to 50 on your current setup. It doesn't sound like a very good balance and it's hard to see how it is an ideal solution. You'd probably do better with the standard 50-34 and a different cassette if the 50 isn't fast enough.
    Faster than a tent.......